Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

12 hours ago, display name said:

Motorcycles from £25 to £92.  Maybe when ministers have more fingers than brain cells it seems like 10%?

WTF is going on? Why did they drop it to £25 only to put it back upto near enough twice even what it was originally? As it stands it’s near on x4 as much now, baffling.

So they want me to pay double on my car tax and nearly x4 on my bike, absolute joke.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

But you said it was negligible but it won’t be negligible. It really must have taken the DOI quite some time to find the most ridiculous, convoluted, silly process for allegedly helping struggling people to be able to afford to pay road tax in installments which actually rewards wealthier leisure vehicle owners for owning more than one vehicle that they don’t use for half the year. 

OK. Consider this.

Let's say the number of motorhomes on the Island is 4%. That's being generous.

Let's say half of those are only used in summer. 

That's 2%

Let's say half of those can be parked off road

That's 1%

That's negligible and not worth bothering about. Its also fair. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

WTF is going on? Why did they drop it to £25 only to put it back upto near enough twice even what it was originally? As it stands it’s near on x4 as much now, baffling.

So they want me to pay double on my car tax and nearly x4 on my bike, absolute joke.

No,I misread that pdf proposal. The bikes are up to £28.  It turns out it was me with more fingers than brain cells in that moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

OK. Consider this.

Let's say the number of motorhomes on the Island is 4%. That's being generous.

Let's say half of those are only used in summer. 

That's 2%

Let's say half of those can be parked off road

That's 1%

That's negligible and not worth bothering about. Its also fair. 

You haven’t been down Motorhome Street in Ramsey recently have you? Must be about 20 motorhomes parked along the river side by the swimming pool.

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But a non-abandoned car that is still in use isn't a matter for the DoI - it's a matter for the police, as the driver is driving around in an untaxed vehicle, and should be reported to them.

I know, but I'm highly sceptical about how interested they'd be. I've never put it to the test, for that reason. 

40 minutes ago, WTF said:

631212  gets you plod HQ

Not interested.

Suffered an untaxed one abandoned near me.  Left half on a corner of a road leaving no view onto a busy road.

They couldn’t of been less interested.
4 days it was there before I tracked down the owner myself and asked him to sort it.

How much has ANPR cost and what has it raised?

Why are the plod not interested in untaxed vehicles?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Not interested.

Suffered an untaxed one abandoned near me.  Left half on a corner of a road leaving no view onto a busy road.

They couldn’t of been less interested.
4 days it was there before I tracked down the owner myself and asked him to sort it.

How much has ANPR cost and what has it raised?

Why are the plod not interested in untaxed vehicles?

I have had the same issue. They have an obligation to deal with vehicles that are causing a danger. They fail to meet their obligation. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Maybe there are loads of classic cars and motorhomes in a massive underground chamber.

Perhaps it's one of the voids under the Promenade.

I knew they existed....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Maybe there are loads of classic cars and motorhomes in a massive underground chamber.

Drive round Onchan Park tennis Courts, or along Peel Breakwater, and there’s about 30 parked up just past Shoprite in Peel. Or behind the Bowling Green pub. There’s also a lot of farmers with barns full of campers parked up for the winter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Drive round Onchan Park tennis Courts, or along Peel Breakwater, and there’s about 30 parked up just past Shoprite in Peel. Or behind the Bowling Green pub. There’s also a lot of farmers with barns full of campers parked up for the winter. 

Regarding Peel, 1- think you mean West quay, where there's usually no more than two or three. There aren't any on the breakwater unless it's a couple of old dears out on an afternoon jaunt.

2- the camper vans/motorhomes just past Shoprite... you mean the ones parked up for the winter on the campsite? For one thing, they're not on a public highway. Secondly, I'm pretty sure they have to be taxed to be permitted to remain.

Don't think there's as many as thirty either, maybe half that amount. I can count them for you when I walk past later today, if you wish. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Regarding Peel, 1- think you mean West quay, where there's usually no more than two or three. There aren't any on the breakwater unless it's a couple of old dears out on an afternoon jaunt.

2- the camper vans/motorhomes just past Shoprite... you mean the ones parked up for the winter on the campsite? For one thing, they're not on a public highway. Secondly, I'm pretty sure they have to be taxed to be permitted to remain.

Don't think there's as many as thirty either, maybe half that amount. I can count them for you when I walk past later today, if you wish. 

Must have double vision. Lol 😂 

• Haha 1