Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

2 hours ago, Zarley said:

Regarding Peel, 1- think you mean West quay, where there's usually no more than two or three. There aren't any on the breakwater unless it's a couple of old dears out on an afternoon jaunt.

2- the camper vans/motorhomes just past Shoprite... you mean the ones parked up for the winter on the campsite? For one thing, they're not on a public highway. Secondly, I'm pretty sure they have to be taxed to be permitted to remain.

Don't think there's as many as thirty either, maybe half that amount. I can count them for you when I walk past later today, if you wish. 

Try by the swimming pool in Ramsey, seems nose to tail all along the old river side.

and were starting to see towed caravans tucked in behind hedges  and stuck on driveways in several parts of the island ,  there about to be the next environmental eye sore   especially  when  covered in green   algae  and faded ,  there was   a report presented to Tynwald years ago  recommending the DOI   regulate the import and use  of towed caravans , but like many thinks it seems to have fallen by the wayside , not that I have anything against them , but some  basic rules  to make sure they are not dumped at various beauty spots , or become an abandoned    problem  ,  watch this space ! 

52 minutes ago, Omobono said:

and were starting to see towed caravans tucked in behind hedges  and stuck on driveways in several parts of the island ,  there about to be the next environmental eye sore   especially  when  covered in green   algae  and faded ,  there was   a report presented to Tynwald years ago  recommending the DOI   regulate the import and use  of towed caravans , but like many thinks it seems to have fallen by the wayside , not that I have anything against them , but some  basic rules  to make sure they are not dumped at various beauty spots , or become an abandoned    problem  ,  watch this space ! 

I think they said something similar in Hot Fuzz. 

The Police and Fire Service need need examples of a a vehicle fire or explosion to deal with? \\\\\\\\\\\\\what better than these , apparently, abandoned campers, to provide that training???

Blow 'em up, how many ';facebook hits' would that get???

ANY PUBLICITY IS ..................

Edited by Kopek

Nice headline in the Examiner today saying the highways budget cut as the roads are in such good condition. I wonder if Minister Thomas will be hitting social media to rebut this headline, and if he protests to the editor, how unfair it is, his department is getting criticised when they are spending ooodles of taxpayers cash placing advertisements, notices and public pronouncements in the newspapers. The TT course will continue to have money spent to bring it up to standards, whilst other roads will be neglected. 

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Nice headline in the Examiner today saying the highways budget cut as the roads are in such good condition.

Where will all the lovely new revenue wonga from the VED increase go then? (rhetorical question).

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

Where are they driving to see that then?

Scarlett Road must be the worst on the Island then, they are about to close that for a re-surface. 

Mr Thomas, please explain why you want more but need less.

My guesses would be a PS pensions legacy gap now having to be funded from revenue. And maybe, just maybe, the start of finding funds to pay for that ravenous abomination alongside the Mersey?

19 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Try by the swimming pool in Ramsey, seems nose to tail all along the old river side.

I wouldn't know, haven't been to Ramsey in ages. That's why I only commented on what I know, which is the situation in Peel.

I used to go to Ramsey now and then for the Co-op and the shops, but there's now a Co-op closer to Peel, and the shops in Ramsey aren't as good or as numerous as they used to be, which is a shame. I used to quite enjoy a shopping expedition down Ramsey. (And yes, I know, the shop situation in Peel is dire, worse than Ramsey.)

16 hours ago, Omobono said:

There are maybe two or three tow caravans in Peel campsite. It surprised me to see them, I thought they'd gone out of fashion decades ago. I guess they can be useful in that you can use your car for day-trips away from your campsite, rather that faffing about securing everything in a campervan so it can be moved.

3 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Scarlett Road must be the worst on the Island then, they are about to close that for a re-surface. 

It's not great that road, but it is not the worst. 

Possibly worthy of its own thread, 'where is the worst road'?

Port St Mary high street would take some beating, it's appalling.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It's not great that road, but it is not the worst. 

Possibly worthy of its own thread, 'where is the worst road'?

Port St Mary high street would take some beating, it's appalling.

Easy end of year cash use up project - nothing else.

It'll be done crap - last a few months and be back to where it was by the end of the summer.

Remember the quote that lost someone their seat - 'the money needs spending' or some such bollocks when the road past his house was done - badly.

Edited by x-in-man
  • Like 2