Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

31 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So the proposed road tax hike isn’t on tomorrow’s list.    I wonder when it will get sneaked in.

Mine is due in late April...I hope that I'm able to save some money by paying  for it before this is implemented.

37 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So the proposed road tax hike isn’t on tomorrow’s list.    I wonder when it will get sneaked in.

Maybe it's been withdrawn because the roads are so good....?

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Mine is due in late April...I hope that I'm able to save some money by paying  for it before this is implemented.

Just another thing that will blow Cannans 5000 mugs to be fleeced into the weeds!

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's because tomorrow is a sitting of the House of Keys and (as Minster Thomas pointed out above) the Vehicle Duty Order is due to go before next week's sitting of Tynwald Court (item 26)

Is the outcome in any doubt? Has one politician stood up against it? No doubt we'll get Chris Turpin's faux sympathy. Wonder where that extra revenue will go as the highways are fine?

Not had a big idea from the DoI for while so we must be due one pretty soon. 

26 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

I think it was tipped out the last time.

It was withdrawn before it got to the sitting, under Baker's jurisdiction if my memory serves me. Would have seen workmen's vans paying well over £500 to tax.

15 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

Thomas needs to withdraw this too if he wants another term in Tynwald .    His popularity is waning as it is remember Anne Corlett got more votes than him last time. 

If it’s withdrawn then budget will be cut in other areas like planned roads improvements, maybe harbors etc . Thomas has already stated this will happen as the money has to come from somewhere else

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It was withdrawn before it got to the sitting, under Baker's jurisdiction if my memory serves me. Would have seen workmen's vans paying well over £500 to tax.

Didn't Rob try and push it through and had to acknowledge he hadn't read it?

• Like 1

It could come from the money saved form NOT doing the roads because they are in such good condition.

They either are - or they ain't.  They need fixing (badly) or they don't.

Stop spending on shite jobs on the road network like raised crossings, shite dangerous road crossings, wrong coloured road crossing and piss poor dressings.

• Thanks 7