Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Well done Mt Thomas he got the job done and now wants from 2024 all vehicles to pay a minimum of £200 per year and get MU to tax the electricity being delivered to electric vehicles….. this will be a consultation with the public.

The gravy train must be running low on fuel again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, finlo said:

The gravy train must be running low on fuel again!

I'd say that all Departments, Statutory Bodies and "arm's length" jobbies are now seen as revenue earners for Treasury where at all possible.

It was seen with the revived levies on the PO and the Steamie at the Budget and Chris Thomas has only just previously referred to the "revenue expectations" his Dept. is now charged with, on these boards.

Stealth Taxes ahoy. This is now going to become a very, very expensive place to live (certainly for the plebs) but it was always inevitable when Govt is incapable and/or unwilling to practice any fiscal prudence upon itself, other than maintaining its entitled bloat.

• Like 4

Chris Thomas says a period of engagement with the public will now start to give the public ‘choices’ before further changes are brought in:

Why would he say this after all his work to ensure the increases would go through.. We all know that consultations mean sweet FA. 

If they need the money so be it but don't waste time and money on consultations that will be totally ignored and are just dressing to make out they care a damn about what the public think or want. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

Well done Mt Thomas he got the job done and now wants from 2024 all vehicles to pay a minimum of £200 per year and get MU to tax the electricity being delivered to electric vehicles….. this will be a consultation with the public.

I’m in favour of the EVs paying their fair share, why should those who can afford the high extra costs for EVs also get cheaper vehicle tax than all those who can’t afford them?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Banker said:

I’m in favour of the EVs paying their fair share, why should those who can afford the high extra costs for EVs also get cheaper vehicle tax than all those who can’t afford them?

Government made a big thing of zero tax and not taxing the electricity to power them to promote EVs. Now they change their mind. I am happy to pay the tax on my V8 5.4 l Merc and the petrol. Even happier that I’ll just tax it for 6 months in April.

4 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Government made a big thing of zero tax and not taxing the electricity to power them to promote EVs. Now they change their mind. I am happy to pay the tax on my V8 5.4 l Merc and the petrol. Even happier that I’ll just tax it for 6 months in April.

There was always going to be a tipping point, where EVs paying zero tax un-balanced the vehicle duty revenue. I guess we reached it. 

So there will be more people taxing their vehicles, especially motorholmes, for six months and who can blame them.   There may be more financially pressed people who get behind with their vehicle tax which will invalidate their insurance I do hope not.   The certainty is the roads will not magically get improved, apart from the TT course, as the extra money collected will go in the collective kitty and spent on god knows what.   Happy Days indeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Major Rushen said:

He is warming up for increases come April 2024.

Now a 30% rise in Driving Test and Driving Licence Fees proposed as well, part of this is the grounds that it will be "fairer".

The "tipping point" (as posted above) I would say is the DOI need to contribute towards a £40M pa hole in Govt pension funding.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 1