Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

"Income generated through vehicle duty is spent on maintaining and improving the Island’s highways"

Oh, yeah... right.... what an outright LIE! The tax goes into the consolidated fund!! (and the CS pensions!)

Oh, another LIE or poor reporting

"Motorcycle duty remains at £28 while disabled vehicle owners are exempt."

... well, if it was £25 last year, how can it "remain" at £28... it will have gone up £3.. bad reporting or another LIE?

Edited by HelmutX

4 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

There may be more financially pressed people who get behind with their vehicle tax which will invalidate their insurance I do hope not.

That's only the case if your insurer stipulates that your vehicle must be taxed for the duration of the policy.

Taking Elephant and Admiral of examples of two UK insurers:

Your cover to drive other vehicles is only valid if your vehicle is taxed.

But that's the only stipulation.

The ManxCover policy from Blackford's also makes no note of needing to be taxed.

Also, how would it work for getting an untaxed vehicle tested? You can drive an untaxed vehicle to the test centre for test, but it must still be insured.

1 minute ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

That's only the case if your insurer stipulates that your vehicle must be taxed for the duration of the policy.

Taking Elephant and Admiral of examples of two UK insurers:

Your cover to drive other vehicles is only valid if your vehicle is taxed.

But that's the only stipulation.

The ManxCover policy from Blackford's also makes no note of needing to be taxed.

Also, how would it work for getting an untaxed vehicle tested? You can drive an untaxed vehicle to the test centre for test, but it must still be insured.

Most insurance companies will give an temp certificate for that purpose (lasts for that one and only purpose)

20 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So there will be more people taxing their vehicles, especially motorholmes, for six months and who can blame them.   There may be more financially pressed people who get behind with their vehicle tax which will invalidate their insurance I do hope not.   The certainty is the roads will not magically get improved, apart from the TT course, as the extra money collected will go in the collective kitty and spent on god knows what.   Happy Days indeed.

56956491_2099388596839984_3638403904682590208_n.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I’m in favour of the EVs paying their fair share, why should those who can afford the high extra costs for EVs also get cheaper vehicle tax than all those who can’t afford them?

My second car is an EV and I'm happy to pay regular tax as per the CO2 emissions  of the vehicle .

Ps:  The EV rate is same as the low emission cars as per the planned changes (upto 110g/km CO2 emissions  fossil fuel cars and EV pays the same ) . 

Most hybrid fossil fuel cars are in this band..

I suppose they will have to increase the rates  agaib at some point as around  30% of new cars sold in europe are now hybrids/ EV

Edited by mad_manx

6 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

My second car is an EV and I'm happy to pay regular tax as per the CO2 emissions  of the vehicle .

Ps:  The EV rate is same as the low emission cars as per the planned changes (upto 110g/km CO2 emissions and EV pays the same ) .  That's what most  hybrids pay anyway  😉

Mr Thomas is talking about Road Tax 2024 based on vehicle weight.

41 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Ps:  The EV rate is same as the low emission cars as per the planned changes (upto 110g/km CO2 emissions  fossil fuel cars and EV pays the same ) . 

Most hybrid fossil fuel cars are in this band..

I suppose they will have to increase the rates  agaib at some point as around  30% of new cars sold in europe are now hybrids/ EV

The emissions charging is a big scam on our island  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sheldon said:

Really? Given EVs weigh more than their ICE equivalents, that would be quite the turnaround.

Not all of them. As long as you don't go for the ones that cram in more battery cells to increase the range,  the weights are fairly similar to a mid size car. The tesla model X and others are quite   heavy .

You don't need a 300 mile range in the IOM. 

And while I have an EV as my second car and love the technology, it still has a long way to go before it can replace a hybrid or a phev.  

Edited by mad_manx