Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

40 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Are you sure about that I’d guess Chris Evans is making more than £70K a year. 

Sorry but our man is no Chris Evans  and looking whats happening to isle of man government finances  we will be following Northern Irelands example and cutting all government budgets by 10%, so there may be a few people let go ,

still with all the shortages in the private sector  some of the ones who are employable   should have no problem finding another job , 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Sorry but our man is no Chris Evans  and looking whats happening to isle of man government finances  we will be following Northern Irelands example and cutting all government budgets by 10%, so there may be a few people let go ,

still with all the shortages in the private sector  some of the ones who are employable   should have no problem finding another job , 

The private sector jobs “boom” is a myth. Low paid roles can’t get enough people to fill them but there really aren’t that many well paid proper jobs here at all when you look. I agree with you I hope they slash 10% or more but equally I don’t think there’s anyone queuing up to employ ex civil servants to plug the gap. I had one guy who worked for me who came from a reasonably well paid responsible mid level CS post who was the most useless and lazy person I’ve ever had to deal with. Lasted less than 3 months. Same would apply for a lot of them I’d say.

Edited by offshoremanxman

18 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Thought it was Southern Ireland who cut budgets by 10%

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forestboy said:

Thought it was Southern Ireland who cut budgets by 10%

They were obliged to cut budgets and pensions liabilities as a condition of an EU bailout IIRC?

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

They were obliged to cut budgets and pensions liabilities as a condition of an EU bailout IIRC?

As were Greece, Spain, Portugal. In 2009/10.

They've all, well, maybe not Greece, made a remarkable recovery. Lots of things were privatised, markets liberalised, housing prices adjusted initially - although they’ve recovered until recently.

Theres been lots of Government infrastructure investment, road, rail, renewables. The bad banks are still realising assets. Abandoned building projects have been completed and sold. 

Greece had difficulty selling lots of state assets, pensions were reduced, pensioners in abject poverty, it’s still shaky. The banking stress tests are fiddled. Lots of Bulgarians & Romanians go to Greece for holidays. It’s cheaper than home!

23 hours ago, x-in-man said:

*only 10% for the Jag/merc/Bmw driving fat cats who keep more money in their pockets while every other poor voting sod has to pay more.

Yup. The tax for my Ford Fiesta has gone up by about 60%. Thanks Chris, thanks DJ Gammon, much appreciated.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, finlo said:

You're delusional, they've promised it's 10%!

As I pointed out a month or so ago, it is 10% for most bands of cars.  The only exception is for the lowest emission ones which have their vehicle duty raised to £65 - the same as electric vehicles in the new proposals.

17 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Yup. The tax for my Ford Fiesta has gone up by about 60%. Thanks Chris, thanks DJ Gammon, much appreciated.

So from £40 to £65 a year.  That's almost 50p a week!  How will you cope?

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

So from £40 to £65 a year.  That's almost 50p a week!  How will you cope?

And that seems to be attitude across government. “It’s only a few quid, nobody will notice”. And suddenly it’s £30 on car tax, £30 on a driving licence, £50 on the council rates, £50 on the water, £200 on the electric, an extra £20 every time you park at the airport for a week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

And that seems to be attitude across government. “It’s only a few quid, nobody will notice”. And suddenly it’s £30 on car tax, £30 on a driving licence, £50 on the council rates, £50 on the water, £200 on the electric, an extra £20 every time you park at the airport for a week.

A fiesta uses the road as much as other vehicles, why should you get it cheaper then someone else?

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

A fiesta uses the road as much as other vehicles, why should you get it cheaper than someone else?

It weighs less, it emits fewer emissions, so yes, the appropriate tax should be less than some three ton Range Rover with a 4 litre engine in it. Weight is what damages the roads.

My issue is that the price rise is 60%, to fund a winter discount for motorhomes and sports cars.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

He’s a typical Gov shill.  Obviously detached from the real world with his pots of cash to spend.  

• Like 2