Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

The about turn can't go unseen though. The zero or low tax for EVs was instigated as reward and/or encouragement for EV takeup, protecting the environment, the biosphere etc etc. The environmental way forward.

Now despite all these environmental benefits, they're to start being taxed the same as everything else. What does that tell us?

They just go from carrot to stick. Stop encouraging EV drivers and start banning/penalising petrol/diesel vehicles. Already a lot of hints about other means to 'encourage' on Carbon Dioxide Net Zero agenda. So a double whammy.

Personally, I think all cars/vehicles should be taxed on seating capacity, load capacity and/or axle weight (a measure of actual wear and tear on roads) regardless of propulsion. Would also be proportional to the smaller business and family use.

Then see if there is shortfall, put an adjustment on fuel duty. If is increases VAT so what, would help the common purse balance anyway.

That way EV users pay for having and using a vehicle on the roads the same as everyone else but reap the rewards of lower energy costs (presumably) which might be offset by other non petrol/diesel costs. The same model could be extended to hydrogen or other alternatives as yet not discovered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WTF said:

its what the summer weather motorcycle fraternity have been asking for for donkeys years , but they reduced all motorbikes down to 25 quid a few years back so i doubt they will put it down to 12.50 for 6 months.  on the other hand if you have a 4x4 land rover/ jeep type thing with a HUGE motor for the nasty winter roads only having to tax it for the winter might be a welcome change.

£12.50 + £6 surcharge. Nice sunny weekend in winter... 'That'll be another £18.50 thank you very much"

18 hours ago, 2112 said:

Messiah Thomas on the NPM commenting he hopes the tax rise doesn’t cause people undue hardship. What a patronising comment, as most people know that any monies raised will be frittered away, and certainly not on the maintenance of roads. 

I'm sure it will be the same old "it was taken out of context' or "that's not what I meant". Or just ignored.

Wouldn't it be nice to see "he hopes budget cuts don't cause government undue hardship" just once.

• Like 1

Raising vehicle duty is low hanging fruit.

it fuels inflation at a time when government should be trying to hold it back.

6 month duty option will mean lots of people will not tax their nice cars during the winter - loss of revenue.

Direct debit ( not included in Mr Ts measures) has not worked so well for car insurance as some just cannot pay it and we do not have the ANPR structure to check.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The about turn can't go unseen though. The zero or low tax for EVs was instigated as reward and/or encouragement for EV takeup, protecting the environment, the biosphere etc etc. The environmental way forward.

Now despite all these environmental benefits, they're to start being taxed the same as everything else. What does that tell us?

What environmental benefits?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Making it zero to start with was stupid. Taxing EVs is a means-tested tax that means-tests itself with no input required.

• Like 1

Charging people more for paying six monthly is wrong. Why do they keep punishing people for being poor? 

The fact I will now pay the same road tax for my EV as someone with a new Audi A4 or similar car in the 110g emission range makes no sense and will discourage EV take up. We already get no incentives to buy one (like UK or elsewhere) and are subsidising the rollout of the public charging network through higher unit prices. Pretty daft to now treat people willing to do the right thing this way and chuck us in with the ICE crowd.

It’s all about money as usual. The hugely wasteful DOI needs loads of dosh for wages and silly projects. Look like I’ll be paying way over a grand in tax for my other cars now, despite not using them much and already paying more in fuel taxes every time I do drive them. Ultimately I will probably get rid of them and get some classics instead. They pollute more but are cheaper to run. Always fancied an old Roller. 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

It’s all about money as usual. The hugely wasteful DOI needs loads of dosh for wages and silly projects.

Substitute DBC for DOI and you'll get the idea of what people think about their Rates too....

• Like 1

Car tax - no enforcement there are out of date taxed cars all over the place. Same as parking on double yellow by lines,no enforcement so people just keep doing it.

Increasing vehicle tax is easy. 
Growing the economy cutting gov spending reducing waste and improving efficiency now that is a lot harder.

Edited by Major Rushen
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

I'm sure it will be the same old "it was taken out of context' or "that's not what I meant". Or just ignored.

Wouldn't it be nice to see "he hopes budget cuts don't cause government undue hardship" just once.

It’s a question of priorities, certain budgets will be cut and others protected. In the meantime, the civil service will be expanded, pensions and other benefits protected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Charging people more for paying six monthly is wrong. Why do they keep punishing people for being poor? 

The fact I will now pay the same road tax for my EV as someone with a new Audi A4 or similar car in the 110g emission range makes no sense and will discourage EV take up. We already get no incentives to buy one (like UK or elsewhere) and are subsidising the rollout of the public charging network through higher unit prices. Pretty daft to now treat people willing to do the right thing this way and chuck us in with the ICE crowd.

but it isn't really the right thing if you go backwards down the line instead of just concentrating on the fully charged electric vehicle end product ,  some of the materials used and the fuel  used produce the electric to charge the car in the first place are far worse than burning a bit of petrol in the vehicle itself.  if you really want to do the right thing walk or cycle or get a horse.

• Like 6