Proposed Increase in Vehicle Duty

Major Rushen

On 2/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, Banker said:

We need a hike in NI but hopefully they will target higher earnings by lifting the very low maximum earnings threshold of c£50k to £75k minimum 

Why NI? Surely it's a tax on the working. A rise in income tax would be fairer (fairer still if it was accompanied by a review of our tax system).

I agree with you about the NI upper earnings limit though, should be much higher than it is.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I get the potential of hydrogen. How are we going to get the hydrogen though? It's really scarce and very expensive to produce. The main source of hydrogen is by burning fossil fuels.

LOL. we are an island... we are literally surrounded by hydrogen. We just need to use energy from clean source to provide it. For one, you could begin producing it using excess generation from the grid as a form of load smoothing. That would mean less waste and building the means of production as the start of converting our infrastructure.

Then as more and more green energy comes on stream you start using that to replace hydrocarbons where EV's are less practical such as emergency vehicles and delivery trucks. Then other vehicles, fuel stations and industrial, commercial & domestic heating and hot water. I beleive a gas boiler can be converted to hydrogen quite simply.

After a properly planned transition all we would need would be an electrical connection to the UK with local plant to convert it to hydrogen. No more fuel oil boats... burning fuel to transport fuel.     

In the meantime there is ongoing research to store hydrogen gas in an inert recyclable medium to make it a gel fuel that requires neither low temperatures or high pressure to store gas. And you don't need to burn hydrogen in atmosphere and create NO2 and particulates etc. it can be catlysed in a fuel cell to create electricity directly.

In fact, very soon I beleive we'll see domestic scale CHP from Germany which will produce heating, hot water and electricity from hydrogen fuel. Either piped or tank storage.

The one thing we will not have is an electrical network that will be able top meet current demand plus all of the heating and transport energy demand needed to replace hydrocarbons.     

5 hours ago, Satan666 said:

Exactly. Emissions zero at the tail pipe but huge in the production of an EV. So much so that it’s far more environmentally friendly to keep a good 7 to 10 year old car well maintained. Plus we currently don’t take into account the emissions generated from the infrastructure required to charge these vehicles. It’s just a big con. Even Elon Musk said as much!

Elon Musk is a stupid bitch to be fair.

11 hours ago, Asthehills said:

Let’s look to the future and bypass EVs and jump straight to hydrogen.

Toyota already produce Hydrogen powered vehicles and BMW have also developed a solution which is due to start production.

There are going to be an awful lot of scrap EVs in a few years that people have spun led fortunes on and we will all be lumbered with trying to get rid of them.

Hydrogen fuel cell cars use an electric motor ( Same as an EV ) and most have a  battery pack to store energy ( same as an EV ). 

EV is not a solution  with current battery tech but has had  a major role in the evolution of non ICE cars. Battery tech is evolving with time anyway. 

I'm not too sure about hydrogen for a place like the IOM where driving distances are low when you look at the costs involved to set It up..

EV Tech is cheaper and most people have access already right at home.  I don't have a home charger but manage with public charging  and use a granny charger which fits into a standard 3 pin plug  when I visit family across.  

I'm sure hydrogen will have its uses  in other places.

Edited by mad_manx

On 2/9/2023 at 9:55 PM, hissingsid said:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of road tax gets spent on roads and what percentage of that amount get spent on the mountain road for the benefit of the TT and MGP races.    I know the mountain road is an essential highway and should be well maintained but to have it race ready must be expensive to say the least.    It is a well pondered fact that we do not , nor ever will, know just how much tax payers contribute to putting the T.T. on.    When it is named as THE BIGGEST FREE SHOW ON EARTH  it certainly is not for the Manx public who pay tax.

It would also be helpful to know how much is spent on administration/management and how much is spent on actual roadworks? ie labour force, I would bet that the administration/management would cost at least double that of roadworks. 

• Like 2

I’m just waiting to see how long it takes for the penny drop with the Minister that introducing 6 months tax for any value will seriously cock up the department’s revenue stream, which will upset Treasury. Introducing monthly direct debits will just cause bedlam.

So 6 months..ok, so how many people will pay for 6 months, let that expire, wait for 4-6 weeks then do another 6 months? Its an easy way to mitigate the £6 surcharge. Boom.

Direct debits..pay one month, get a disc then cancel. Get a letter, wait 4 weeks, pay one more month..in the meantime the minute you are in arrears you also have vehicles on the road illegally.

Let’s face facts. As I understand it we have a single mobile ANPR camera on this island..and I can’t recall seeing it out anywhere for months.

I should add I don’t for one minute condone avoidance of paying car tax, but many won’t be so morally inclined, especially when for many money is tight.

Thoughts @Chris Thomas

12 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

I’m just waiting to see how long it takes for the penny drop with the Minister that introducing 6 months tax for any value will seriously cock up the department’s revenue stream, which will upset Treasury. Introducing monthly direct debits will just cause bedlam.

So 6 months..ok, so how many people will pay for 6 months, let that expire, wait for 4-6 weeks then do another 6 months? Its an easy way to mitigate the £6 surcharge. Boom.

Direct debits..pay one month, get a disc then cancel. Get a letter, wait 4 weeks, pay one more month..in the meantime the minute you are in arrears you also have vehicles on the road illegally.

Let’s face facts. As I understand it we have a single mobile ANPR camera on this island..and I can’t recall seeing it out anywhere for months.

I should add I don’t for one minute condone avoidance of paying car tax, but many won’t be so morally inclined, especially when for many money is tight.

Thoughts @Chris Thomas

From what Stu Peters said elsewhere, that’s exactly why everyone else’s tax has been put up - to cover the expected losses. 
I guess probably lots of people - with campers, or convertibles etc - will just pay for 6 months over the summer.

We always used to be able to tax a vehicle for six months, up to about 20 years ago(?) when it was scrapped on the grounds that everybody was so flush that it wasn't needed any more. There was outrage over that at the time too, that people were going to be obliged to pay for 12 months, even if they only used it for six months, "Another Govt rip-off". But I can't recall VED rates being stated as needing to be higher then in order to cover any losses arising from the six month option being available.

Perhaps Govt are now inadvertently admitting that a) people are no longer as flush as they used to be, and/or

b) that their VED rates are getting to be so expensive that people are going to be struggling to pay them. (after all, Manx Petroleums are also offering "reduced purchase" amounts for central heating oil now too, so they must recognise that there's a problem in the economy).

But hey, our CS see another opportunity to gouge them for another six quid for the privilege of the more affordable option.

Big pensions hole, that £40M....

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 5

40 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Thoughts @Chris Thomas

Assume system will work exactly like now , if you pay for say October to October 2023 & you don’t renew until say December they just give you a tax disc until October 2024 for 12 months costs.

So if you have 6 months license & late renewal you will just get disc backdated until original expiration.

Cancellation is probably why they don’t issue d/ds , don’t think they do in UK either 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Cancellation is probably why they don’t issue d/ds , don’t think they do in UK either 

In the UK it would be SORN’d and picked up by several of the hundreds of thousands ANPR cameras if it went on the road..here, they could drive for months or years without ever being caught.

2 hours ago, StrangeBrew said:

From what Stu Peters said elsewhere, that’s exactly why everyone else’s tax has been put up - to cover the expected losses. 
I guess probably lots of people - with campers, or convertibles etc - will just pay for 6 months over the summer.

The apnr camera is a man in a van with a Sony camera on a tripod.  He then manually goes through the video recording plate numbers.  Perhaps explains why we don't see it very often

• Like 2