Up to 30 megawatts of renewable energy by 2026

Moghrey Mie

1 hour ago, Manx Resident said:

My opinion is that committing to the spending at a time when many people are struggling and will not be able to afford higher costs is wrong. The plan should be considered in the future, when everybody, not just the well off, can afford higher energy costs?

This generation wants everything and to hell with the damage caused to the planet?

Selfish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

Would you care to divulge how much this little venture has cost you and the pay-back time - if you live long enough to realise the investment.

£15.3k, payback ~12 years. It's more than payback - from now on I'm 90% solar so my carbon footprint is way down.

Also, you have excess electricity which you can use for heating.

Edited by GD4ELI
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I once travelled with a Dutch guy who lived in a huge ex Dutch single decker bus. His entire roof was solar panels and under the floor he had a bank of 20 x 110 batteries. He was able to run a washing machine and tumble drier off them. I was mighty impressed. It put my 200 watt panels and 1000 watt inverter setup to shame somewhat. 

Back of a fag packet 20 x 110 batts weigh about 5.5 CWT.

Was the bus powered by an electric motor?

4 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Funnily enough, I asked him once about payload.  He replied, It was an 80 seater bus in Amsterdam. Plenty of payload. He was very probably right.

He was still burning significantly more fuel carrying those around than if he had just been plugging into the mains though.

3 hours ago, Manx Resident said:

It is despicable that at a time when there is actually “in work poverty” on the Island due to the cost of living crisis the government is committing to spending on a wind farm which will require higher energy prices!.

Yes but the cost of them will be paid off after about 5 years. No brainer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Funnily enough, I asked him once about payload.  He replied, It was an 80 seater bus in Amsterdam. Plenty of payload. He was very probably right.

Plenty of payload and a fuel-guzzling power train to match I don't doubt.

Not my idea of an eco-warrior.

Edited by P.K.
Typo
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Glad you find it amusing

I do. A bit of hysteria about the poor tiny tim cratchetts in the Cobalt mines so that everything you don't like can be stifled. It's not genuine remorse or concern for tiny tim, it's just a bit of leverage.

Cobalt is used in cars (notably in the airbags and in the steel-belted radial tyres), in the production of petrol, in paints, inks and pigments, for colouring glass,  in batteries, electronic devices. hip replacements, dental implants, for cold-pasteurising processed food, sterilisation of medical products, for hardened tools, for recording media, for hardening metals and magnets in thousands of products.

A lawsuit in 2019 attempted to link Apple, Microsoft, Dell, Tesla and Google to mining of cobalt. 

I presume that the two of you holier-than-thou saints are going to stop using your vehicles, buying petrol, using anything with a lithium ion battery, Googling things,  buying any blue paint, glass or anything printed with blue on it. Otherwise you'd just be dragging up an excuse to stop renewables on the feeblest of pretences.

Edited by The Bastard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

I do. A bit of hysteria about the poor tiny tim cratchetts in the Cobalt mines so that everything you don't like can be stifled. It's not genuine remorse or concern for tiny tim, it's just a bit of leverage.

Cobalt is used in cars (notably in the airbags and in the steel-belted radial tyres), in the production of petrol, in paints, inks and pigments, for colouring glass,  in batteries, electronic devices. hip replacements, dental implants, for cold-pasteurising processed food, sterilisation of medical products, for hardened tools, for recording media, for hardening metals and magnets in thousands of products.

A lawsuit in 2019 attempted to link Apple, Microsoft, Dell, Tesla and Google to mining of cobalt. 

I presume that the two of you holier-than-thou saints are going to stop using your vehicles, buying petrol, using anything with a lithium ion battery, Googling things,  buying any blue paint, glass or anything printed with blue on it. Otherwise you'd just be dragging up an excuse to stop renewables on the feeblest of pretences.

Point taken, it's OK it's someone else's kids. I see where you're coming from now.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Point taken, it's OK it's someone else's kids. I see where you're coming from now.

The point is "Won't someone think of the children" is such an old trope, even the Simpsons have been using it for decades where fake sincerity is involved.

Again, I take it you're so worried about the poor kids that you won't use any Cobalt-containing products again for fear of not being ethically sourced ? No ? I see, someone else's kids..

Seriously though, there's no point in faking sincere concern for the ethical source of Cobalt when you're already using it every day without any ethical concern. You're probably using ethically-dubious Cobalt in the electrical device you're posting with. If you're only concerned about the ethics when you can use it as leverage in your argument, it undermines that argument.

6 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

This generation wants everything and to hell with the damage caused to the planet?

Selfish.

There is nothing selfish, or anti-planet, about wanting to stay out of poverty at this time (read my earlier post properly) and to want our government’s green initiatives to be financed at a time when people can afford higher energy costs, i.e. not during a cost of living crisis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2