Up to 30 megawatts of renewable energy by 2026

Moghrey Mie

10 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

There is nothing selfish, or anti-planet, about wanting to stay out of poverty at this time (read my earlier post properly) and to want our government’s green initiatives to be financed at a time when people can afford higher energy costs, i.e. not during a cost of living crisis. 

When has there ever not been an affordability crisis?

Saving the planet can't wait. Sadly it's very probably far too late.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Manx Resident said:

There is nothing selfish, or anti-planet, about wanting to stay out of poverty at this time (read my earlier post properly) and to want our government’s green initiatives to be financed at a time when people can afford higher energy costs, i.e. not during a cost of living crisis. 

Surely it's better to take choices that have a long term benefit. If we had had wind power for the last 5 years we would have saved millions in gas costs. Your view seems very short sighted to me. 

https://www.newscientist.com/lastword/mg24332461-400-what-is-the-carbon-payback-period-for-a-wind-turbine/#:~:text=An onshore wind turbine can,and nine months of operation.

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2023 at 7:32 PM, GD4ELI said:

When has there ever not been an affordability crisis?

Saving the planet can't wait. Sadly it's very probably far too late.

Planet will be fine and so will we, unless we spaff money on virtue signalling our 'massive' 0.0001% of global CO2 emmisions while still not solving the heavy goods transport or public transport. Guess the plan was always to lower the standard of living for all but the wealthiest rather than reduce suffering and starvation.

If the worlds saving lobby are so sure they are 'right' why not have a referendum?  Might not get the answer they want I imagine. Well once people start to see the consequences of our self-flaggealtion while monsters like China and India probably build enough coal plants weekly to account for the next 50 years of Manx CO2 emmisions.

Notice no-one is suggesting we cancel all of the motor sport events (zero TT worked so well) and past times that burn fossil fuels before going after people trying to keep their jobs.

Meanwhile, we have an opportunity to make a considered paced transition using our own off shore gas but that'd be too slow for the 'climate emergency'.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Planet will be fine and so will we, unless we spaff money on virtue signalling our 'massive' 0.0001% of global CO2 emmisions while still not solving the heavy goods transport or public transport. Guess the plan was always to lower the standard of living for all but the wealthiest rather than reduce suffering and starvation.

If the worlds saving lobby are so sure they are 'right' why not have a referendum?  Might not get the answer they want I imagine. Well once people start to see the consequences of our self-flaggealtion while monsters like China and India probably build enough coal plants weekly to account for the next 50 years of Manx CO2 emmisions.

Notice no-one is suggesting we cancel all of the motor sport events (zero TT worked so well) and past times that burn fossil fuels before going after people trying to keep their jobs.

Meanwhile, we have an opportunity to make a considered paced transition using our own off shore gas but that'd be too slow for the 'climate emergency'.    

Why was the Zero TT dropped?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I thought something to do with it was only a race for Mugen Honda.  None of the other competitors were remotely competitive in comparison.  Shame, I quite liked it. 

26 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Because it was a non event, like all electric based racing. Zero interest from most teams and spectators

Unfortunately, electric is not the future of motorcycle racing, in fact not any type of motorsport. Formula E is overhyped, Moto E the same, it only exists as a way of the organisation to demonstrate its green credentials and MotoGP teams are forced to compete on identical machines to empty grandstands. 

You know how people try to come up with shit excuses for not building wind turbines? Slicing up birds, mass landfills of indestructible blades, kids mining cobalt etc? Today I saw someone argue against siting them at Jurby because we might need the airfield when Ronaldsway floods from rising sea levels due to climate change.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

You know how people try to come up with shit excuses for not building wind turbines? Slicing up birds, mass landfills of indestructible blades, kids mining cobalt etc? Today I saw someone argue against siting them at Jurby because we might need the airfield when Ronaldsway floods from rising sea levels due to climate change.

Airport should be there anyway not because of floods but because it's very very rarely fog bound.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

i wouldn't want to put money on which airfield actually had a its runways furthest above sea level

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Well it's true that Jurby is about 15m higher than Ronaldsway.  But by that stage it will be Jurby Island as most of the rest of the Northern Plain will have flooded.  So it may not be as useful as they think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Airport should be there anyway not because of floods but because it's very very rarely fog bound.

But then we'd have to re-site the politically unpalatable prison near to some beautiful people somewhere else on the Island...

• Like 1