Up to 30 megawatts of renewable energy by 2026

Moghrey Mie

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Imagine it. It would get press, "Worlds largest water wheel gets new lease of life". I don't even know if it would work there, but it would be cool as fuck. Imagination.

I would imagine that we will be leasing  the seabed to a wind farm developer and the electricity will be channeled to the UK as the Isle of Man does not have the infrastructure or storage to manage the electricity from the wind turbines.The Arup report commissioned by the government suggested the cost would be over 1 billion for the IOM to have the correct infrastructure which I do not think they have the means to finance . Either way this is good news in terms of much needed revenue to the Isle Of Man and doing a wee bit towards developing renewables.

I wasn't saying put the wheels back, there are more efficient generators for the places that would have had wheels 100 years ago. But you might be right, I won't be arguing with you. The point is using a variety of sources, and not solely as power generation, but as a whole package of net zero stuff, future proofing, encouraging investment, etc. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I wasn't saying put the wheels back, there are more efficient generators for the places that would have had wheels 100 years ago. But you might be right, I won't be arguing with you. The point is using a variety of sources, and not solely as power generation, but as a whole package of net zero stuff, future proofing, encouraging investment, etc. 

agreed. 👍

43 minutes ago, Mann O Mann said:

I would imagine that we will be leasing  the seabed to a wind farm developer and the electricity will be channeled to the UK as the Isle of Man does not have the infrastructure or storage to manage the electricity from the wind turbines.The Arup report commissioned by the government suggested the cost would be over 1 billion for the IOM to have the correct infrastructure which I do not think they have the means to finance . Either way this is good news in terms of much needed revenue to the Isle Of Man and doing a wee bit towards developing renewables.

It's ONSHORE wind.

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Indeed it would. As would planting hundreds of trees on the uplands. A relatively cheap solution to a potential problem that has already cost millions in reparation. Even more now that the insurers have decided to pursue the government for payout recompense.

Was that mentioned as a contributing factor in the report? 

Would kinda make sense.  They used to supply the wheel, the washing floors, the power station, the mill.  Now all that water goes straight into the river.

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Not just the one down by the river.  They are all over the valleys and much higher up.  The main visible one is in the Glen Gardens it feeds off the Glen Roy river a couple of kms up the valley a the bottom of Axnfell plantation.  

There are some higher up in Glen Roy and Agneash too, but these are mostly covered.  We used to have one going through my garden when I was a kid in Da Ville. 

It might actually help alleviate some of the water levels in the main river. 

Not sure you are thinking this one through. How does a weir control water levels? The flow going into the weir is the same as the flow going out?

I could be missing something.

Do you mean like small reservoirs or something?

Have we slipped into the Laxey flooding thread?

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Not sure you are thinking this one through. How does a weir control water levels? The flow going into the weir is the same as the flow going out?

I could be missing something.

Do you mean like small reservoirs or something?

Have we slipped into the Laxey flooding thread?

They weren't just weirs, the flow got diverted, stored, re-directed and whilst it does still go back into the river ultimately, it's journey is delayed whilst it flows around the millrace (lades) system.  There are actually a couple of abandoned reservoirs around Lonan for that purpose (and the boating lake).  Again, probably would at least delay the influx of water a little bit.  We're not talking about an Amazonian catchment area.  The flooding from big downpours realistically only lasts a few hours maybe and if that outflow is spread over a slightly longer timeframe, then there would be potentially less flooding?

The mines also had water pumped out of them back in the day, so potentially would have acted as a sink for excess water in flooding, whereas the mines are all full up with water now. 

Or climate change has screwed it all up and we just get a shit load more rain at any one time. 

The main impediment to inaction on the community / personal / island renewables policy, over many years, has been the MEA debt ! Circumstances however are changing and overriding the financials.

Please , please , please, this time for gods sake get the right advice before you cock up again Gov.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

The main impediment to inaction on the community / personal / island renewables policy, over many years, has been the MEA debt ! Circumstances however are changing and overriding the financials.

Please , please , please, this time for gods sake get the right advice before you cock up again Gov.

I can already smell the snake oil salesmen poised for the kill!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1