Up to 30 megawatts of renewable energy by 2026

Moghrey Mie

5 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

The whole point of tidal is the reliability compared with wind/solar. You only have to look at the Point of Ayre tidal rips to see the potential and it's not that far of shore and well out of shipping lanes.
https://www.powerengineeringint.com/news/orkney-tidal-power-a-hotbed-on-the-seabed/

A rip (current) is an outflowing current from the shore usually in a gap between the waves that allows the water to flow back out like a river.  The commonly used term 'riptide' is also not correct.  These are good for surfers to paddle out past the waves but often deadly for swimmers.  The currents you're talking about are tidal flows/streams. 

But Point of Ayre would also be too shallow.  There are shipping routes in deep water between the King William and Bahama Bank, but they would then be a shipping hazard. Plus there is significant erosion and deposition of sand West to East over the point, anything in the water would be sand blasted to oblivion. 

Bahama bank would be a good spot for an offshore wind farm.  Not far from the Crogga Gasfield ironically. 

image.png.b3933866a3a26a1a2a69297abffea8e1.png

4 hours ago, The Bastard said:

Tidal is still very much in its infancy, and it would be a mistake to jump in whilst it's an unproven and expensive technology. As Happier Diner points out, you can buy wind power pretty much off-the-shelf and there are many successful solar and wind farms worldwide. Tidal - not so much. 

Goggle "Isle of Man - Future Energy Scenarios J U L Y 2 0 2 1 F I N A L R E P O R T B U S I N E S S A N D I N V E S T O R A D V I S O R Y" for 142 page that goes into detail on the options.

6 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Cover it in wool, run past a a load of balloons and harness the static.

Ahhhhh The Buttered Cat Paradox.......

My suggestion is piping all the excess water water from the quite clearly going to happen Cannabis farm by B&Q over the hills to Laxey and fire  it at a pre-constructed Massive Red Wheel so it spins really fast and makes loads of electricity.

Progressive and Heritage and Economic and Environmentally sound all in one go.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

A rip (current) is an outflowing current from the shore usually in a gap between the waves that allows the water to flow back out like a river.  The commonly used term 'riptide' is also not correct.  These are good for surfers to paddle out past the waves but often deadly for swimmers.  The currents you're talking about are tidal flows/streams. 

But Point of Ayre would also be too shallow.  There are shipping routes in deep water between the King William and Bahama Bank, but they would then be a shipping hazard. Plus there is significant erosion and deposition of sand West to East over the point, anything in the water would be sand blasted to oblivion. 

Bahama bank would be a good spot for an offshore wind farm.  Not far from the Crogga Gasfield ironically. 

image.png.b3933866a3a26a1a2a69297abffea8e1.png

Why not be a hazard to shipping when they seem to be happy to build windfarms on the IOM vital routes? After all if it's inside our 12m limit we'll be trying to save the planet with our own natrual resources won't we?.

18 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I was thinking a bit more about this, though I had been smoking. The power in the wheel is not so much the wheel, but the massive beam it drives. There much be a decent amount of unharnessed power in that now it isn't running a pump. I'd put a prize up. Design something for this WIN CASH. Heritage people would freak.

I googled the original power of the wheel, and a figure of 200HP was quoted. 

On the back of a fag packet - translate HP to Watts (times by 746) and you get about 150 KW assuming no losses.

That's about enough for 75 kettles. 

A low-end wind turbine is capable of 2.5MW (2500KW) due to the speed of rotation, so a bit more reasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

Ahhhhh The Buttered Cat Paradox.......

My suggestion is piping all the excess water water from the quite clearly going to happen Cannabis farm by B&Q over the hills to Laxey and fire  it at a pre-constructed Massive Red Wheel so it spins really fast and makes loads of electricity.

Progressive and Heritage and Economic and Environmentally sound all in one go.

Think Laxey has had more than enough water already, they'd never get insurance ever again.

2 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Why not be a hazard to shipping when they seem to be happy to build windfarms on the IOM vital routes? After all if it's inside our 12m limit we'll be trying to save the planet with our own natrual resources won't we?.

Because you can see a windmill, they're not hidden underwater. 

image.png.7790c1e5d372121699d85a8ce2b2219b.png

18 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Goggle "Isle of Man - Future Energy Scenarios J U L Y 2 0 2 1 F I N A L R E P O R T B U S I N E S S A N D I N V E S T O R A D V I S O R Y" for 142 page that goes into detail on the options.

From the July 2021 report :

"Whilst technology is mature, tidal power plants are expensive to justify purely on a cost and benefit analysis. Unless a wider strategic requirement is identified, tidal power is unlikely to be feasible for IoM for the purposes of serving its own electricity demand."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Bastard said:

That's a very depressed viewpoint.

Cabbage was unusual because of the unusual gauge of the IOM railway.

Manxman gearbox has broken during sea trials, a good time for things to break. It's covered by the manufacturers. All large ships are custom, you can't exactly buy them at DEALZ.

Chewing gum remover was Douglas Corporation, not an IOMG capital project. 

You may well consider it a depressed viewpoint but that viewpoint is arrived at through observation and experience. Deleting the Cabbage and the Manxmann gearbox on your stated grounds is fair enough should you wish to do so; the gum remover however was still public money.

However, I will then raise you a Promenade, an IRIS project, a hospital and a power station.

The facts are that IoMG's record in delivering projects on time and within budget over the last 30 years is atrocious, Alf Cannan has said so himself, referring to a "bow wave of unfinished and over-budget undertakings". The additional fact of the renewables project is that it is a new area for the Govt to be dipping its toe into with no previous experience; see the above four for previous examples of this. And it is invariably the tax and ratepayers who are left with the legacy burden of these ventures, often for many, many years.

What we need is some way of these projects to be undertaken with political oversight, business-minded policing and due diligence and a total lack of political interference. Wishful thinking, I suspect....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

You may well consider it a depressed viewpoint but that viewpoint is arrived at through observation and experience. Deleting the Cabbage and the Manxmann gearbox on your stated grounds is fair enough should you wish to do so; the gum remover however was still public money.

However, I will then raise you a Promenade, an IRIS project, a hospital and a power station.

The facts are that IoMG's record in delivering projects on time and within budget over the last 30 years is atrocious, Alf Cannan has said so himself, referring to a "bow wave of unfinished and over-budget undertakings". The additional fact of the renewables project is that it is a new area for the Govt to be dipping its toe into with no previous experience; see the above four for previous examples of this. And it is invariably the tax and ratepayers who are left with the legacy burden of these ventures, often for many, many years.

What we need is some way of these projects to be undertaken with political oversight, business-minded policing and due diligence and a total lack of political interference. Wishful thinking, I suspect....

If at first you don't fail hard enough, try, try, try, try again. Now entering a whole new phase of potential incompotence and mismanagement beacuse some numpty commited us to a binding agreement that will come into effect and cost us massively as we spend even more tyring to meeet impossible deadlines and targets.

Kinda sums up our government really. Next they'll be putting a bid for the Olmpics or World Cup. BTW whatever happened to the Elon Musk spaceport fantasy? He probably looked on a map and went 'You're kidding right?".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yes that's true.  but you can't harness it. First storm up there and the turbines would be destroyed. You need a massive number of turbines to make it work otherwise the water just goes around the turbine. You need to form a chain of turbines in a line. 

the turbines are underwater at depth where the storm won't touch them. And they are no different to wind turbines in terms of placement. Unlike wind, the tides are predictable and driven by the solar/lunar cycle and not todays weather system.

And they would be out of sight too which is another bonus. Plus if you put the area off limits for fishing you'd create a natural reserve for stocks.