Plans to reduce legal limit on exhaust noise

Happier diner

problem is if  tested with noise meter while stationary  many will pass ,but the major problem comes when the vehicle is moving and when they change gear there is an almighty bang from the exhaust  because the engine has been mapped  to make it happen ,  there are a couple of cars go past my place early hours of the morning  and they  shake my windows with the loud bang from the exhaust , cant think it does the engine or exhaust system any good either ,

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

And while they're at it please can they test headlight alignments. Some of these new generation cars with very, very bright LED lights are a joke. Blinding or what? 

The RAC has an article here. Some people do not realise that they should be adjusting their headlights downwards according to the load. Or the rely in ineffective self adjusting headlights.

Are car headlights too bright? Dazzled drivers say it's getting worse

“All headlights have to meet specific international standards, which motorists might be surprised to discover haven’t been updated since the 1960s and so do not take specific account of newer technologies like xenon and LED. And an overwhelmingly proportion of drivers – 84% – now want the UK Government to act to ensure the regulations are updated to remove the possibility of glare being a result of modern technology.” - Rod Dennis, RAC spokesman.

I wonder what proportion of that 84% are also the same sort of people who moan that there are too many government regulations.

7 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

The RAC has an article here. Some people do not realise that they should be adjusting their headlights downwards according to the load. Or the rely in ineffective self adjusting headlights.

Are car headlights too bright? Dazzled drivers say it's getting worse

I wonder what proportion of that 84% are also the same sort of people who moan that there are too many government regulations.

So it's not just me then!

52 minutes ago, WTF said:

its the younger drivers making noise deliberately that this is aimed at,  i suspect the noise laws cover it already regarding vehicles but it won't be easy to enforce so they need other options to spoil the kids fun.

Not really. The limit here is 105db I think. UK 72db.

105db is very very loud. 

Just now, Dirty Buggane said:

And the assholes in the chelsea tractors with the headlights at eye level do not help. As they say the new L.E.D. lamps are extremely harsh on the eye, apart from the promenade. Go figure. 

People put led bulbs in headlight units that are not designed for them. It's an MOT failure in the UK. 

Led lights need bespoke units and then you don't get the issue. 

Putting them in the wrong unit leads to an incorrect dispersion of the light. Blinding on coming drivers.

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Led lights need bespoke units and then you don't get the issue. 

Unfortunately not true. Many brand new cars have factory fitted units which are too bright. It is dangerous and anti social.

Mark Rea, a light scientist at Mount Sinai in New York, explained why that might be. Headlights are measured in lumens, a unit devised to assess how light impacts a central part of the eye. But that part of the eye, Rea observed in a 2015 paper, is more sensitive to higher-wavelength, redder light than lower-wavelength bluer light. The very measurement system we use to calibrate headlights (and everything else) is not counting blue light, and so bluer lights will have to feel significantly brighter before they register as equal in lumens.

“Imagine a car with two headlights, one halogen, one LED. They’d both meet the requirements. The light meter would say they’re the same, but the LED would look 40 percent brighter,” Rea said.

https://slate.com/business/2022/03/headlights-are-too-bright-what-regulators-are-doing-to-fix-it.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1