Plans to reduce legal limit on exhaust noise

Happier diner

7 hours ago, Omobono said:

problem is if  tested with noise meter while stationary  many will pass ,but the major problem comes when the vehicle is moving and when they change gear there is an almighty bang from the exhaust  because the engine has been mapped  to make it happen ,  there are a couple of cars go past my place early hours of the morning  and they  shake my windows with the loud bang from the exhaust , cant think it does the engine or exhaust system any good either ,

The road vehicles maintenance and use regulations 2002 s.13 states the system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be after market modified so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases. Remapping the way those gases are fed into the system thus increasing noise could be argued to be in contravention 

17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The road vehicles maintenance and use regulations 2002 s.13 states the system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be after market modified so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases. Remapping the way those gases are fed into the system thus increasing noise could be argued to be in contravention 

doubtful, the exhaust starts at the manifold and from there onwards it isn't modified at all.

26 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Remapping the way those gases are fed into the system thus increasing noise could be argued to be in contravention 

Also - remapping is a modification. As with all modifications, the insurance company needs to be notified. Some insurance companies will refuse cover.

Does that mean that the drivers of remapper cars are effectively uninsured if they have not got specific permission from their insurance companies?

I’d love to see a clamp down and a proper check on insurance declarations, I tried to get insurance for a car that was for sale recently, it had been remapped and they wouldn’t quote without proof of HP as they grade it on percentage of additional HP from factory and as this was sitting near 30% they wouldn’t quote for it.

Strangely the seller just shrugged their shoulders, they haven’t ever needed to declare anything and their last car they wrote off wasn’t all declared and it wasn’t an issue when it came to being paid out.

It pisses me off because I just tried to get some wind deflectors for my car, £40 to buy and yet an extra £20 for me to declare and insure, not going to bother, thanks.

25 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

I’d love to see a clamp down and a proper check on insurance declarations, I tried to get insurance for a car that was for sale recently, it had been remapped and they wouldn’t quote without proof of HP as they grade it on percentage of additional HP from factory and as this was sitting near 30% they wouldn’t quote for it.

Strangely the seller just shrugged their shoulders, they haven’t ever needed to declare anything and their last car they wrote off wasn’t all declared and it wasn’t an issue when it came to being paid out.

It pisses me off because I just tried to get some wind deflectors for my car, £40 to buy and yet an extra £20 for me to declare and insure, not going to bother, thanks.

Depending on the car, it ranges from trivial to check if it’s remapped, to being reasonably intensive to figure it out.

I’ve found any declared maps seldom make much difference with a sensible insurer. And it isn’t worth the headaches of not declaring. 

I bought my Golf so I could have it cheaply mapped to double factory power with a drainpipe exhaust system that pops, crackles and shoots flames. Perhaps I’ll just get some carbon effect mirror covers instead, innit?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Also - remapping is a modification. As with all modifications, the insurance company needs to be notified. Some insurance companies will refuse cover.

Does that mean that the drivers of remapper cars are effectively uninsured if they have not got specific permission from their insurance companies?

Typically the insurer would still pay out 3rd party stuff but tell the owner to take a running jump on any of their own costs.

That said, I've had insurers who didn't care about remaps (I told them anyway). On the other hand I once had an insurer who gave a shit about a bellypan on a bike that normally didn't have one.

7 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Typically the insurer would still pay out 3rd party stuff but tell the owner to take a running jump on any of their own costs.

That said, I've had insurers who didn't care about remaps (I told them anyway). On the other hand I once had an insurer who gave a shit about a bellypan on a bike that normally didn't have one.

In the UK, they have to pay out third party costs, but are perfectly entitled to then recover them from you. 

• Like 1