6 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Odd though that some members of the public have been hailed as heroes when they have helped restrain terrorists with knives...doing just that and saving other lives.

Members of the public are not routinely found to be wearing stab vests, carrying pepper spray and a gun (at least in the UK) and therefore what may be a reasonable means for them should not be for an armed police officer. 

You also highlighted another key difference.  The person getting kicked in this instance was not a terrorist carrying a knife.  

I have no doubt that the events leading up to these events will have been challenging and if another officer was injured then the temperature of the encounter is increased.  That should not excuse a (presumably) highly trained officer who has been through a rigorous selection process from losing control.  If the officer is not highly trained then why the hell is he carrying a gun?  If he has not been through a rigorous selection process then why is he carrying a gun?  If the officer has a temperament not suited to this role then why is he doing it (and carrying a gun)?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Odd though that some members of the public have been hailed as heroes when they have helped restrain terrorists with knives...doing just that and saving other lives.

If you're an armed officer faced with violence at an airport, injured by people and hurting, don't know what their true motivation might be...it's (to some degree) an understandable human reaction or overreaction.

I hope they come down very hard on the lot of them...no one should be screwing with armed police at an airport. The perpetrators should all get jail time.

Members of the public are, rightly, not expected to be as professional at dealing with restraint as people who have had tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of pounds of public money spent on their training, and who are given special privileges over and above normal members of the public, and who are permitted to carry firearms.

25 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Members of the public are, rightly, not expected to be as professional at dealing with restraint as people who have had tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of pounds of public money spent on their training, and who are given special privileges over and above normal members of the public, and who are permitted to carry firearms.

No one is perfect in a violent situation...but even his actions should not be used to let the perpetrators off with a compromise sentence...courts should hammer them.

Edited by Albert Tatlock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thommo2010 said:

I'm far from gung ho and again you have no idea what my profession is as I've never actually said what it is people like you just make assumptions and assume you're correct

Oh do give over, it was meant to be humorous is all. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

No one is perfect in a violent situation...but even his actions should not be used to let the perpetrators off with a compromise sentence...courts should hammer them.

There's a difference between not being perfect and kicking someone in the head for no good reaosn.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

The guy being kicked didn't look restrained to me, his hands were free

Okay, you can't kick people in the head who are lying face down with their arms by their side and not moving, and potentially being actively tazed judging by the video.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Okay, you can't kick people in the head who are lying face down with their arms by their side and not moving, and potentially being actively tazed judging by the video.

Says who? The officer or anyone for that fact can use reasonable force. It will be up to the officer to justify that not people on the Internet or ambulance chasing lawyers. 

• Like 1

Just now, thommo2010 said:

Says who? The officer or anyone for that fact can use reasonable force. It will be up to the officer to justify that not people on the Internet or ambulance chasing lawyers. 

I'd love to hear the justification for kicking a restrained person in the head:

"Well you see your Honour, I was all dressed up in my combat gear, and like, this geezer was being a tosser, so I lined up my size 10s and did my best Johnny Wilkinson impression 'cause he was well being a nob and causing some argy bargy."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

When it's deemed unreasonable, as it obviously will be, will you still be desperate to defend it?

• Like 2

I don't really blame Lee Anderson for his comments, he's not defended the kick in the head and is probably referring to robust policing, which has been absent from the scene for some time. 

I can see the army being called in at some point, and we all know how that can end up!

5 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

Reasonable force is making someone lie down on their belly.

Kicking them in the head when they are there is not.

This is REALLY FUCKING SIMPLE STUFF

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RecklessAbandon said:

I'd love to hear the justification for kicking a restrained person in the head:

"Well you see your Honour, I was all dressed up in my combat gear, and like, this geezer was being a tosser, so I lined up my size 10s and did my best Johnny Wilkinson impression 'cause he was well being a nob and causing some argy bargy."

Was he restrained though? Maybe look again