Just now, Chinahand said:

HeliX: "intended stamp"?

So you agree he didn't stamp on the assailant?

How do you know his motivations?

The bottom of the boot connects with the guys head while he's lying on the floor and the officer has just booted him in the face. Obviously I can't know his intentions, but having just very clearly and deliberately punted the guy in the face I'm not sure it's a stretch to suggest he might have known that stamping on the guy's head would result in the guy's head being stamped on.

16 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

I'm still very uncertain about whether the policeman stamped on assailant's head. He stamped very close to it but it isn't clear to me that he stamped on it. 

Something is happening with the taser wires. 

Am I alone thinking this? I noticed the BBC removed references to stamping after initially using the word. 

This doesn't reduce the wrongness of the kick. 

It annoys me that the full scene hasn't shown. Stopping the edit where it did leaves out the stamping. Why?

I don't think he stamped on his head either, not sure what that was about,to further disorientate the bloke?

It's all very well people analysing what should and shouldn't be done from their armchairs, when the situation is active, you've got officers injured, you've got the worry of people going for incacipated officers guns, you don't know if other people are going to join in, i reckon you do what it takes.

In my misguided younger days, I've been in a couple of really worrying situations where people are getting hurt, if you can't get out, you fight to win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The bottom of the boot connects with the guys head

I know I'm probably being dense here but are you saying you are confident the video you just posted shows the policeman stamping on the assailant's head?

I'm not at all. 

I know I'm probably being dense here but are you saying you are confident the video you just posted shows the policeman stamping on the assailant's head?

I'm not at all. 

See the link in the post above this one.

It looks to me like a deliberate stamp, and it looks to me like it connected. It would be helpful to see it from the opposite angle, but unfortunately the newly-released video cuts out before that point.

This is always interesting and I am honest enough to acknowledge I could be wrong but to me it isn't at all clear he makes contact.

The position of the "mother's" hand is important in this. 

This is always interesting and I am honest enough to acknowledge I could be wrong but to me it isn't at all clear he makes contact.

The position of the "mother's" hand is important in this. 

The guy's head deflects a few inches forward as the boot lands...

Re the theory that the officer might be trying to dislodge taser wires, those wires appear to be tangled around his own leg and are only anywhere near the other man's head when he stamps on it.

• Like 1

Yes Teapot we all agree he deliberately kicked the guy in the head. Totally wrong. 

14 minutes ago, HeliX said:

The guy's head deflects a few inches forward as the boot lands.

It is interesting, but without spending a couple of hours freeze framing and drawing ellipses around things I'm not sure. 

I don't see much sign of movement of the head. He stamps down, slides his foot to the right slightly, lifts up and brings it back down again.

I don't think it impacted and will definitely say it is very uncertain. 

The slide to the right is the main thing that causes me doubt. 

Though what is equally fascinating is I think the "mother" was moving to protect the assailant. There is a reasonable case to be made that her actions did stop the stamp. 

Edited by Chinahand

6 minutes ago, Chinahand said:

Yes Teapot we all agree he deliberately kicked the guy in the head. Totally wrong. 

It is interesting, but without spending a couple of hours freeze framing and drawing ellipses around things I'm not sure. 

I don't see much sign of movement of the head. He stamps down, slides his foot to the right slightly, lifts up and brings it back down again.

I don't think it impacted and will definitely say it is very uncertain. 

The slide to the right is the main thing that causes me doubt. 

Though what is equally fascinating is I think the "mother" was moving to protect the assailant. There is a reasonable case to be made that her actions did stop the stamp. 

I think if you watch the area above where the guy's forehead would be the movement is quite clear. Either way I'm not sure there can be much doubt that the officer intended to make contact. There's no other reason for the action.

Pretty remarkable the guy in the blue wasn't immediately remanded in custody once he was out of the hospital really, he's been very violent and deserves a jail sentence. If I were on the jury for that one I'd be convicting him, though its that clear cut there probably wouldnt be one.

There'd be a jury for the cop though. 

It's here the stamp is important I reckon. The defense could probably reasonably argue the kick alone even though its wrong, and in light of the events that caused it I think a jury would have a hard time convicting of a serious crime. But I'd expect a decent prosecutor to be able to use the stamp after the kick to show the officer was out of control, way beyond his training, actively looking to harm. And I think most juries would probably find that argument pretty compelling.

Edited by TheTeapot

13 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Pretty remarkable the guy in the blue wasn't immediately remanded in custody once he was out of the hospital really, he's been very violent and deserves a jail sentence. If I were on the jury for that one I'd be convicting him, though its that clear cut there probably wouldnt be one.

There'd be a jury for the cop though. 

It's here the stamp is important I reckon. The defense could probably reasonably argue the kick alone even though its wrong, and in light of the events that caused it I think a jury would have a hard time convicting of a serious crime. But I'd expect a decent prosecutor to be able to use the stamp after the kick to show the officer was out of control, way beyond his training, actively looking to harm. And I think most juries would probably find that argument pretty compelling.

Regardless of anything else that may happen, as Sheldon rightfully pointed out the guy is clearly not fit to be walking around with a gun.