Budget Day Tomorrow

hissingsid

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

The law was changed and there was plenty of notice. Happens all the time - tax levels, petrol duty etc.

Sorry I forgot you don’t know any women do you to discuss the issue with. You said there was a guarantee in law. Clearly there was not as the guarantee to those women simply wasn’t any form of guarantee at all. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

The law was changed and there was plenty of notice. Happens all the time - tax levels, petrol duty etc.

The government did their best not to tell the women affected, and have admitted as such. My wife had no notification at all 45yrs of contributions for nought ! George Osborne said it was the easiest money the treasury had ever made 271 billion from the NI fund.

1 hour ago, GD4ELI said:

Odd analysis of the situation, how did the UK government 'run off' with payments?

To gain a full state pension 35 years of NI payments are required. All that happened is that women now receive the state pension at the same age as men. This was known years in advance. Don't forget that women live longer.

An unfair situation has been corrected.

By being fair ?

Far from the 50swomen being an isolated case where mistakes were made those at the top of the DWP administration appear to have a playbook to deprive people of their rightful pensions and benefits, especially if they happen to be women. Nearly all the cases hit women much worse than men and as I have highlighted before – men have had privileges denied to women – such as the long running auto enrolment scheme that allowed men to have their national insurance contributions paid by the state from 60 to 65 while denying women any such privileges.

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Apart from your implication that Government employees don’t work I would agree with you 

Well it's no secret that most of them have never done a decent days work!

ETA for clarification I'm not referring to those at the coalface.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2023 at 11:51 AM, Asthehills said:

Have you any idea how many more houses Dandara, Hartford and all other developers would be building if government didn’t impose such huge amounts of red tape and expense trying to get planning through?

Planning needs seriously speeding up and relaxing to allow the economy to grow.

They won’t even let King Gaming build their new HQ yet and that’s been going on for ever.  Plenty of others would have given up and gone elsewhere by now.

The current planning system is one of the biggest barriers to economic growth and needs a major overhaul.

I think Dandara have got other things to worry about at the moment, rather than planning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64957057

• Like 3

The IOMG Budget says that Treasury are expecting that, in a space of few years, there will be an annual reduction in structural deficit from the current value of £150m to about £5m. They do not provide any solid justification as to what will enable this economic miracle to occur – if the IOMG was a candidate on The Apprentice and the IOMG Budget was their business plan I would expect them to be mauled by Lord Sugar’s ‘rottweilers'. If the IOMG was a bank, I would expect the customers clamouring for their deposits back. Dr Alex has promised to give a financial update in July, which hopefully will be more than just some vague ‘consultants’ soundbites. With the Public Sector Pension Scheme Fund already financially exhausted it is not hard to envisage how the remaining Reserves will also become depleted, therefore the IOMG will either have to cut services and/ or servants, raise taxes or to tap into the NI Fund for as long as possible.

The 'tomfoolery' (i.e. the unwillingness to take tough decisions) by consecutive Manx governments has left the Island’s financial position in an increasingly precarious state. Unfortunately, the IOM as a country is not a strong community where “we’re all in this together”, but a disparate collection of local and non-local vested interests. I think that what is ultimately at stake here is the Island’s status as an independent country. If that status is to be retained, some sobering economic and political decisions will need to be made. I would like all CS/PS, who annually hoover out pensions more than £30,000 (with the exception of the healthcare and education sectors), to take pension ‘haircuts’ like what the IMF demanded that the Irish endured following the 2008 Financial Crisis. When/if the cash-crunch comes I certainly want our politicians to take huge pension haircuts...if the ‘administrators’ from Westminster are called in, this may be an unavoidable political dictate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1