Budget Day Tomorrow

hissingsid

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

Education is already cut to the bone  and practically every school on the Island is struggling to  come in on budget  this year ,  if we cant afford to  fund the future education and learning skills  of the next working  generation , then its a very poor show , and buying in mobile classrooms ,when some secondary schools are having to cope with record levels of students  don't sit to  well  with governments dream of increasing the population to 100.000 ,and from recent reports neither can they find dentists or doctors surgeries to take them on , 

Is the 11.5 million extra pounds for DESC announced today not enough then?

13 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I agree with the concept of the rich paying more tax, but this is the wrong way to do it.  Effectively, anyone earning over £129000 is paying £2900 more in tax, whether they earn £129000, or several million. Reducing the threshold just increases the number of people this rule affects.

Better would be to have a higher rate tax - say 25% earnings over £100k. This would generate similar amounts of money, but be graduated according to earnings, so those earning millions would pay more than those on £129000. 

once you understand the maths of the situation you will realise it has been deliberately done this way to only affect the people they want it to affect

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I agree with the concept of the rich paying more tax, but this is the wrong way to do it.  Effectively, anyone earning over £129000 is paying £2900 more in tax, whether they earn £129000, or several million. Reducing the threshold just increases the number of people this rule affects.

Better would be to have a higher rate tax - say 25% earnings over £100k. This would generate similar amounts of money, but be graduated according to earnings, so those earning millions would pay more than those on £129000. 

The Island still retains its regressive tax model while propping up a Soviet style public administration.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

It’s one of those symbolic sacred cows, however, we’ve got to match GSY & JSY.

Its been 20% for 45 years, before that it was 21.25% (4/3d per pound ) from the time that Manx Surtax ( at an extra 1/6d or 7.5% ) was abolished in the early 1960’s

46 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I did not listen to the speech (mea culpa, my bad etc.). But what is the penalty for not making any savings? Anyone going to get fired?

Also, over the years, I have never been impressed by managers who state that each department must make an e.g. 5% cost saving. All the departments are run differently - some good, and some bad.  For someone to set the same parameter for all departments means that that person really has no idea how the organisation is operating.

Of course any sensible manager is going to make sure his/her department is running inefficiently so that when the time comes to make a 5% saving....

[Years ago I worked at Marconi, part of GEC. At that time Arnold Weinstock was reputed to go through the accounts of every part of the organisation every month  - so the rumour was. I doubt that Allinson knows what is going on anywhere in gov.]

If Allinson thinks that he is going to see a parade of voluntarily self-inflicted bleeding stumps of any size from the IoMCS then he is more deluded than he was when at DfE.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Moghrey Mie said:

Thresholds for 10% and 20% tax are still low dragging low earners into paying tax.

Thresholds should be increased to take more low earners out of tax. Freezing them, given inflation, is effectively reducing them.

Fairly disappointing non-progressive changes in my view. 

• Like 13

17 minutes ago, wrighty said:

Thresholds should be increased to take more low earners out of tax. Freezing them, given inflation, is effectively reducing them.

Fairly disappointing non-progressive changes in my view. 

In UK you also get an allowance on savings interest. Over here you start paying tax any interest that your savings earns.

You can also put £20,000 per year in an ISA.

52 minutes ago, WTF said:

once you understand the maths of the situation you will realise it has been deliberately done this way to only affect the people they want it to affect

Good point.

How many people will this affect? And how much extra will government earn?

No mention of the bumper vat receipts yet from gov.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

It’s one of those symbolic sacred cows, however, we’ve got to match GSY & JSY.

Its been 20% for 45 years, before that it was 21.25% (4/3d per pound ) from the time that Manx Surtax ( at an extra 1/6d or 7.5% ) was abolished in the early 1960’s

Except when it was 18%...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

Is the 11.5 million extra pounds for DESC announced today not enough then?

how much of that is the pay settlement ? and overall pay increase , plus the money payed in student grants and the plans for the new school   , soon spend that  especially if there taking on swimming pools as well   !  it will be good to see the breakdown  when the bullshit has washed away  and we real whats in the fine print 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Should have capped out the reduction in personal allowance to £100K across the board. How on earth you can justify a married couple earning up to £200K jointly before the allowances are scaled back affects such a tiny proposition of people. If anyone. 

Not if husband and wife are high flyers in the civil service ,  just look around and see who is married or living with who , there are plenty around ,  then add the pensions both will be picking up  , should be paying a lot more tax !

• Like 2