DOI fails again

Two-lane

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

No, they're extremely competent liars...

Is anyone really suprised?

To paraphrase Capt Jack Sparrow:

"a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest.  It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid"

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Not that they lack competency in the lying department. 

I'm not sure that even that is true.  There was some pretty brazen misleading going on here, which the Information Commissioner has called out.  The full ruling is here:

https://www.inforights.im/media/2073/dn2023_03_doi_10feb2023.pdf

Though the Gef summary is pretty good.  The most obvious deception was when they sent the wrong map to another part of the DoI which then enabled them to say that they didn't own the land.  The applicant had already supplied the correct map, so they actually had to create the wrong one.  That's not carelessness, that's obvious deception.  And throughout their dealings with both the applicant and the IC they have consistently failed to do what they are legally obliged to do.

I suppose they rely on the fact that most applicants will give up when they get a blanket refusal, though it's clear from previous IC cases that refusal of information often goes well beyond what is justified in law.  And they rely on the fact that, no matter how often they are caught out, no one ever seems to suffer from breaking the law in this way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They get away with it though every time….no such thing as consequences and as for lessons have been learned that seems to apply to every cock up that has ever cocked up that phrase should be banned because they never are and never will be. No one knows who gives these lessons, where they take place…….it is time there was a big shuffle and clear out except the perpetrators would no doubt be promoted, moved sideways and mess up another department.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Agreed bad grammar. I meant they that are both incompetent and liars. Not that they lack competency in the lying department. 

Or is it simply that they are highly competent at being incompetent about being competent and thus usually avoiding being competent about not necessarily lying about the lack competency showing in disguise the competence at hand?

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I guess this is/was about the new bus station/tram terminal they were trying to push through, as a result they no longer have any trams in the tram station so it’s quickly gone to look a scruffy mess, clearly intentional but no doubt marked down as cost saving.

Actually I think it's to do with the expansion of the Distillery, which we've discussed on here in the past.  The fact that they are doing their best to not answer anything makes me wonder if there are various financial shenanigans going on which might not be to the benefit of the taxpayer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

guess this is/was about the new bus station/tram terminal they were trying to push through, as a result they no longer have any trams in the tram station so it’s quickly gone to look a scruffy mess, clearly intentional but no doubt marked down as cost saving.

My recollection about that proposal is that the tracks entering that area made a 90 degree turn so that the tracks ended directly opposite Peel Street. The reason for that is that Longworth wanted the MER tracks to be extended down through the Peel Street and Parliament Street.

The problem is that trains cannot make a tight 90 deg turns, so the plans were to take a part of the land in question so that the tracks went slightly left onto that area before turning right and ending up opposite Peel Street.

That plan is just another Longworth/DoI/MHK fantasy - along with rebuilding railway bridges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually I think it's to do with the expansion of the Distillery, which we've discussed on here in the past.  The fact that they are doing their best to not answer anything makes me wonder if there are various financial shenanigans going on which might not be to the benefit of the taxpayer.

Ah the patch of wasteland that the Distillery cleared away, made it look presentable and actually found a use for?