DOI fails again

Two-lane

35 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Hybrid working in the IOM makes me laugh. People who can’t be arsed with a 10 minute drive to work. Most companies are stopping it as it’s basically laughable. Loads in government still doing it though, what a surprise. 

I don’t know any companies stopping people doing it.  I would change job if they expected in the office every day.

You only have to look at how little traffic there is around 9 and 5 these days compared to 20 years ago to see lots other than government are still working flexibly.

1 minute ago, Ativa said:

You only have to look at how little traffic there is around 9 and 5 these days compared to 20 years ago to see lots other than government are still working flexibly.

I think that tells a different story altogether!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

I don’t know any companies stopping people doing it.  I would change job if they expected in the office every day.

There are several companies stopping it. I wouldn’t (and haven’t) employed anyone who wants to hybrid work. It’s the mark of a skiver. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

There are several companies stopping it. I wouldn’t (and haven’t) employed anyone who wants to hybrid work. It’s the mark of a skiver. 

Lol.

Someone with a decent work ethic can be much more productive at home, depending on the job obviously.

I would run a mile from any boss who thought someone who wanted to work efficiently was a skiver.  I bet everyone has to be at their desk for exactly the right number of hours every day as well?  I had a boss like that in the 90s.  Proper old school and nobody ever stayed their long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Lol.

Someone with a decent work ethic can be much more productive at home, depending on the job obviously.

I would run a mile from any boss who thought someone who wanted to work efficiently was a skiver.  I bet everyone has to be at their desk for exactly the right number of hours every day as well?  I had a boss like that in the 90s.  Proper old school and nobody ever stayed their long.

I know you’re just trolling (it’s funny really) but many employers are stopping hybrid. If people want to work from home that fine become self employed. Don’t ask me to fund it.

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

A thoroughly unpleasant experience compared to driving, and I had to walk to the stop and then from the stop to where I wanted to be at the other end.  If it has been raining I would have been soaked.

Aw, diddums! You had to walk? That's simply scandalous. 

As someone who does not own a car, I walk pretty much everywhere I need to go. I rarely get soaked when it's raining, I simply dress for the weather, including sensible shoes. A shocking concept for many, I'm sure. 

When where I need to get to is too far for walking on its own, I take a bus and rarely have an issue with them. The newer ones are generally clean and comfortable and if it's too hot, I open a window near where I'm sitting. It's rare anyone objects and I do ask first, unless the window is directly above where I'm sitting and there's nobody in the adjacent seats.

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

Most train companies in the UK have Wi-Fi, I don’t know whether there is Wi-Fi on the buses here? 

Most, if not all, do have WiFi and most also have phone charging points at each seat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Sounds like you've got a bad case of projection. 

In my experience, many people who claim that you can't let folks do X, Y or Z because they'll take the piss and do P,Q, or R instead, are the self-same  people who would do P, Q, or R given half a chance. 

Edited by Zarley
Autoincorrect
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, Zarley said:

In my experience, many people who claim that you can't let folks do X, Y or Z because they'll take the piss and do P,Q, or R instead, are the self-same  people who would do P, Q, or R given half a chance. 

Or you get the clock-watching managers who bollock anyone who’s five minutes late and then can’t understand why everyone leaves bang on 5pm.

If the work’s getting done, does it really matter where someone is doing it? And if the work’s not getting done, that’s pisspoor management.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ativa said:

Had a rare trip on the bus this morning.

Baking hot, cramped seats, smelly and bumpy and took ages.

The buses* here are pretty good, I don’t recognise that description on the proper big buses. I know people scoff about Longworth’s Mercedes Citaros, but they are good buses- nice seats, good suspension, no rattles. Expensive, but you get what you pay for.

*The Mercedes Sprinter low-floor minibuses- not the ones used on patient transfer or Connect Villages- are terrible with no opening windows, suspension made of concrete, tiny seats. If you had one of those you have my sympathy. They tend to only be seen on the Peel- Foxdale- Douglas bus.

Edited by Ringy Rose

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

Lol.

Agreed

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

Sounds like you've got a bad case of projection. 

No just had my fill of people thinking I’m going to fund their leisure time. Lots of businesses are pulling WFH and hybrid roles as they’re being abused. In the IOM there’s little excuse not to drive a max of 15 mins to come to work. It’s not like we’re London. 

51 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

No just had my fill of people thinking I’m going to fund their leisure time. Lots of businesses are pulling WFH and hybrid roles as they’re being abused. In the IOM there’s little excuse not to drive a max of 15 mins to come to work. It’s not like we’re London. 

In my experience people only take the piss  when they don’t feel valued or enjoy their work.

A happy workforce is a productive workforce.

As for “little excuse not to drive a max of 15 minutes” I am a forty minute drive from our office, and there is little excuse for a boss to drag their staff in every day in 2023.

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ativa said:

In my experience people only take the piss  when they don’t feel valued or enjoy their work.

A happy workforce is a productive workforce.

Looking at the number of day time posts you seem to have made on here recently you aren’t exactly setting a firm case for the benefits of WFH 😂