DOI fails again

Two-lane

50 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

As always, you guys are only arguing about office workers. There are many, many workers that we can't do without, who cannot possibly work from home.

It sometimes seems that office workers are the only ones who receive consideration.

Indeed not an option for everyone.

download (50).jpeg

• Haha 4

When the world was coming out of the pandemic, there was quite a bit of commentary about how home working would impact on city centres, which are occupied, predominantly, by service industries.  It  was quite interesting and you wonder whether the property and rental costs have started to reflect that as predicted. 

I work from home, there is no office to attend, and I would say productivity is definitely improved.  No chitchat, able to concentrate on the task in hand and you can plan your day better.  

On the skiving issue, if you are not pulling your weight, it becomes apparent pretty quickly, possibly quicker than in the office environment - there are masters of looking busy whilst doing FA, not so easy if no one can see you pretending to be busy. Output is the key. 

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Most working from home will require some form of login to access comapny files and such like. CS requires it for their flexitime timekeeping system anyway.

Yes, but once you are logged in, that's you for the day if you are that way inclined - at least in the CS. But Gladys is right, in the for the ultimate skive you have to be in the office - hiding in plain sight...in many offices, looking busy is King.

17 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

Yes, but once you are logged in, that's you for the day if you are that way inclined - at least in the CS. But Gladys is right, in the for the ultimate skive you have to be in the office - hiding in plain sight...in many offices, looking busy is King.

Correct.

The least productive people I have ever worked with are the ones who are first in, last out and always too busy.

Working from home where possible allows for much greater productivity than having to be in the office.

Unfortunately there are still a few dinosaurs who refuse to believe it because they don’t trust their staff and there is no mutual respect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I see DoI have nearly finished the Zebra crossing in Ramsey.... I say nearly because it looks like they've forgotten the orange flashing lights. Or maybe it's a Mr Thomas cost cutting exercise.

At least, the road markinga are plain white paint on regular black tarmac. Makes a change from the Chinese granite or Toy Town coloured tarmac.

Edited by CallMeCurious
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CallMeCurious said:

I see DoI have nearly finished the Zebra crossing in Ramsey.... I say nearly because it looks like they've forgotten the orange flashing lights. Or maybe it's a Mr Thomas cost cutting exercise.

At least, the road markinga are plain white paint on regular black tarmac. Makes a change from the Chinese granite or Toy Town coloured tarmac.

That’s not a job carried out by DOI.  It was subcontracted as is most of the crossing work

14 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Can anyone explain as to why Victoria Street in Douglas will be closed at night from next week for 2 weeks? Has something not been done to specification and errors have been made? When the road was closed for those 2 weeks at the beginning of the month, then everything should have been done and finished. 

14 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Can anyone explain as to why Victoria Street in Douglas will be closed at night from next week for 2 weeks? Has something not been done to specification and errors have been made? When the road was closed for those 2 weeks at the beginning of the month, then everything should have been done and finished. 

The road is being resurfacedZ

Nothing to do with the crossing and has been widely publicised.

It’s great that they are doing this work out of hours to minimise disruption.

More of the same please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

But didn’t the DOI congratulate them on doing such a wonderful job only 2 weeks ago? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

But didn’t the DOI congratulate them on doing such a wonderful job only 2 weeks ago? 

No.  That was for the crossing installation.

Now they are resurfacing the road.

Two completely independent jobs.  One done by a contractor and one by DOI own staff

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ativa said:

No.  That was for the crossing installation.

Now they are resurfacing the road.

Two completely independent jobs.  One done by a contractor and one by DOI own staff

It isn’t an independent job the whole thing was part of the original job. All they seem to have done is find a way of opening the road ‘early’ after a ridiculous 6 months them closing it again but only at night to finish the rest of the work that should have been done.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It isn’t an independent job the whole thing was part of the original job. All they seem to have done is find a way of opening the road ‘early’ after a ridiculous 6 months them closing it again but only at night to finish the rest of the work that should have been done.

That’s rubbish.

CCJ built the crossing.  Once the crossing is complete and there are no more planned works on the road is the right time to resurface the rest of it.  

That will be done by the DOI paving team and which is completely separate to the work CCJ were contracted to do.

I am sure you will be back shortly to argue, despite being completely wrong and just jumping   on the usual DOI bashing bandwagon.

Edited by Ativa

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

I am sure you will be back shortly to argue, despite being completely wrong and just jumping   on the usual DOI bashing bandwagon.

I’m not arguing. It’s like putting 50p in the slot with you. Say anything, stand back, and wait for the nonsense to come back.

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Confused 1