DOI fails again

Two-lane

9 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You point out that the news items says that this is merely an administrate order to officially widen the path. If the path were continued to be used as nothing more than a footpath, there would be no need to make any changes (I assume the photo in the news release is typical of the narrow sections of the path).

I have no doubt that the planned usage, as stated by the DoI and quoted by me above, is the reason the DoI wants the whole footpath to be legally 2 metres wide.

The phrase "no work is currently planned other than general maintenance" was made by a gov. official - it is therefore open to interpretation. If, at 09:00 Monday morning (plus tea-break time), there was a meeting at which it was decided to do further work on the footpath, the gov. official would still say that his previous statement was accurate.

The document I have quoted above gives a big, big, indication of what the Doi wants to do in regards to this footpath.

The bit of path in the photo already looks about 2m wide.  The old railway line is about that width.

The bit currently legally designated as a footpath is just a strip down the middle. Nothing is being widened any time soon.

Edited by Ativa
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

You point out that the news items says that this is merely an administrate order to officially widen the path. If the path were continued to be used as nothing more than a footpath, there would be no need to make any changes (I assume the photo in the news release is typical of the narrow sections of the path).

I have no doubt that the planned usage, as stated by the DoI and quoted by me above, is the reason the DoI wants the whole footpath to be legally 2 metres wide.

The phrase "no work is currently planned other than general maintenance" was made by a gov. official - it is therefore open to interpretation. If, at 09:00 Monday morning (plus tea-break time), there was a meeting at which it was decided to do further work on the footpath, the gov. official would still say that his previous statement was accurate.

The document I have quoted above gives a big, big, indication of what the Doi wants to do in regards to this footpath.

The Isle of Man - Where You Can

Have to apply for permission to cut back a hedge?

FFS Putin would give you lot far more freedom and if he sited a couple of Nukes in Jurby You would have no money worries. 🙂 

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Ativa said:

The bit of path in the photo already looks about 2m wide.  The old railway line is about that width.

Ours are 900mm even the UK mainlines are only 1400mm maybe you're thinking of one of Isumbards old setups!

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

Ours are 900mm even the UK mainlines are only 1400mm maybe you're thinking of one of Isumbards old setups!

How pedantic.  The bit of flat land that the old lines were laid on is about 2m wide.  That is why that is the width they are asking to have the legally designated footpath widened , to fill the existing space.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, finlo said:

Ours are 900mm even the UK mainlines are only 1400mm maybe you're thinking of one of Isumbards old setups

I think you are just looking at the track gauge. Note that the DoI wants to use the path for various means of transport, including horses. In my opinion, given the size of the ass on the average horse, and notwithstanding my 20 inch waist, a 2 meter path width is nowhere near enough - and you have to take into account that horses are a bit unpredictable when being approached by me.

23 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I think you are just looking at the track gauge. Note that the DoI wants to use the path for various means of transport, including horses. In my opinion, given the size of the ass on the average horse, and notwithstanding my 20 inch waist, a 2 meter path width is nowhere near enough - and you have to take into account that horses are a bit unpredictable when being approached by me.

Well I was just pointing out that our track gauge wasn't two metres!

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

FFS Putin would give you lot far more freedom and if he sited a couple of Nukes in Jurby You would have no money worries. 🙂 

Might need to make a press announcement if that happened as it'd be hard to tell the difference otherwise. On the bright side it'd then be an ideal location for a nuclear power station as it couldn't make it worse now could it. Also ideal location for Peel Marina sludge and Incinerator bottom ash for the same reason.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

The Isle of Man - Where You Can

Have to apply for permission to cut back a hedge?

Nobody has had to apply for permission to cut back a hedge.  Where did you get that from?

19 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/could-the-mer-be-extended-to-the-war-memorial/

So this is the 'master plan' eh? Guess we know why they left the huge empty space alongside the memorial ... a new MER terminal for 'commuters'. 

Presumably from Ramsey, Laxey and Groudle? I'm trying to picture any major employers or other facilites along that route? Probably only Poker Stars on Onchan Head.

Does this mean they'll bin the horse trams then? Or is this the brilliant excuse to extend the tram lines to the Sea Terminal to try and hide the costs that casued them to abandon it the first time?

No wonder they don't want the fun fair in town, the clowns on Prosepct Hill don't want the competition

Edit ~ Wonder if they'll also try to sell this as a way to free up the Derby Haven site to make the Summerland site more 'attractive to developers'?

Still trying to picture poles in the middle of the red concrete and wondering how often they'll be struck when trying to pass double parked vehicles.

I love the idea of horse trams with freight loads. From where to where with what loads, still to be confirmed

28 minutes ago, english zloty said:

I love the idea of horse trams with freight loads. From where to where with what loads, still to be confirmed

Okells used to use the trams to Ramsey to deliver beer to the Pubs up North