DOI fails again

Two-lane

22 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Lots of decent offices have shower facilities.

9 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Every decent office has showers for people who cycle in, or go for a run or bike ride in their lunch break.  Some have had for more than 20 years.

I am pretty astounded - and I am clearly way out of date. In all the years I worked, only two companies had showers, and I was aware of only two people using those facilities - both were lunchtime runners (and I heard some adverse comments from other people about one of them using his lunch break to run, and then having lunch during work-time).

I never expected anything from my employer other than was strictly necessary - a desk, a chair, and access to lots of computers and documents. I always arrived at work ready to work.

If a private company wants to spend money on such facilities, there can be no objection. The Government is not just any employer - it is spending money from all taxpayers, who should have some say in what it is spent on.

There will be people who claim "it is necessary to have exceptional facilities in order to attract exceptional people". That is nonsense. I do not regard showers as essential in any office environment.

So, here is the question - the taxpayer can pay for Civil Servants to have shower rooms installed and maintained, or the money can go to health or education. Which do you think the average tax payer will choose?

[The idea that the only form of fitness is running or cycling is also nonsense. In my adult life, on and off, I played squash. No company I worked for provided that. But I visited the European Space Research and Technology Centre in Noordwijk - they've got squash courts and a small golf course - they have also got a awful  lot of European tax payer's money]

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I am pretty astounded - and I am clearly way out of date. In all the years I worked, only two companies had showers, and I was aware of only two people using those facilities - both were lunchtime runners (and I heard some adverse comments from other people about one of them using his lunch break to run, and then having lunch during work-time).

I never expected anything from my employer other than was strictly necessary - a desk, a chair, and access to lots of computers and documents. I always arrived at work ready to work.

If a private company wants to spend money on such facilities, there can be no objection. The Government is not just any employer - it is spending money from all taxpayers, who should have some say in what it is spent on.

There will be people who claim "it is necessary to have exceptional facilities in order to attract exceptional people". That is nonsense. I do not regard showers as essential in any office environment.

So, here is the question - the taxpayer can pay for Civil Servants to have shower rooms installed and maintained, or the money can go to health or education. Which do you think the average tax payer will choose?

[The idea that the only form of fitness is running or cycling is also nonsense. In my adult life, on and off, I played squash. No company I worked for provided that. But I visited the European Space Research and Technology Centre in Noordwijk - they've got squash courts and a small golf course - they have also got a awful  lot of European tax payer's money]

So much crap there I can’t even be arsed composing a proper reply 

• Like 2

I’m with Two Lane on this. Apart from this modern need to provide showers and chill out zones, I’ve noticed the number of young people who start work at 9am by disappearing to the kitchen and coming back 20 minutes later with a dressed cereal breakfast (and unashamedly consuming all the milk for hot drinks). Flogging is too good for them and sweaty athletes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I’m with Two Lane on this. Apart from this modern need to provide showers and chill out zones, I’ve noticed the number of young people who start work at 9am by disappearing to the kitchen and coming back 20 minutes later with a dressed cereal breakfast (and unashamedly consuming all the milk for hot drinks). Flogging is too good for them and sweaty athletes.

Ah yes, from the radio DJ lauded for his work ethic..

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

The reason for the question is that in a gov. building I have seen signs to shower facilities. Naturally I jumped to the conclusion that the tax payer has paid for these facilities to be installed so that CS lycra louts, arriving at work dripping with sweat, can spend the first hour of their working day having a shower and a shave, and apply a new layer of Old Spice.

What they’ll actually have done is pedaled in on their £5K tax subsidized e-bike, and then spent an hour pissing about in the shower. Before then having a bowl of cereal before starting their hard day at work around 10:15. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BriT said:

What they’ll actually have done is pedaled in on their £5K tax subsidized e-bike, and then spent an hour pissing about in the shower. Before then having a bowl of cereal before starting their hard day at work around 10:15. 

Then searching for their next holiday online!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BriT said:

That or Manx Forums. 

Only the ones who are trolling duty that week.

Re. the showers/breakfast thing I say, if you want to cycle into work, fine. If you need to get a shower, using the facilities, fine. But you are at your desk by 8.30am/9.00am ready to work. It comes out of your own time.

And don't start me on the multiple breaks taken by smokers in addition to the usual statutory breaks during the day...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Only the ones who are trolling duty that week.

Re. the showers/breakfast thing I say, if you want to cycle into work, fine. If you need to get a shower, using the facilities, fine. But you are at your desk by 8.30am/9.00am ready to work. It comes out of your own time.

And don't start me on the multiple breaks taken by smokers in addition to the usual statutory breaks during the day...

So the worst type are cyclist that smoke and also have an unnatural urge to be clean.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So the worst type are cyclist that smoke and also have an unnatural urge to be clean.

Lordy, mention a troll and one appears...

• Haha 1