DOI fails again

Two-lane

8 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Can you imagine the outcry if the trees 🌳 have to go. 

Yep.  Pathetic isn’t it.  Just plant more somewhere else.

Same as when they wanted to get rid o the ones in St Marks.  Massive uproar, some have since fallen down or been taken down anyway and the new entrance has had to go just around a blind bend.

Madness

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

Can you justify £150k for something that is only really an issue for racing? Yes it's noticeable in car/bus but not enough to justify fully reconstructing the tarmac 

But that's the point, if it's noticeable at 30mph (and it is) in a car or bus, what must it be like hitting it at 200mph or 150mph on a sidecar with 3" of suspension movement?

That stretch is effectively part of the Curraghs flood plain too and is subject to huge influences from the water table. 

31 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

But that's the point, if it's noticeable at 30mph (and it is) in a car or bus, what must it be like hitting it at 200mph or 150mph on a sidecar with 3" of suspension movement?

That stretch is effectively part of the Curraghs flood plain too and is subject to huge influences from the water table. 

Well then why are we paying for it through road maintenance when there will be plenty of worse areas on the main roads - shouldn't DfE or whoever be funding it and then at least it's counted as part of the TT spend. We basically see the DOIs road maintenance teams disappear for half of the months with good weather to sort out 26 miles of track ("road") 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I see they are getting ready to resurface around Quarter bridge  and Braddan  left it far too  late  , last minute panic  and 4 weeks to go until practice , it will be mayhem down there  when the road is closed to do the work ,

The closures are all between 18:30 and 06:00 for exactly that reason.

Disruption is being kept to a minimum and has been well publicised with alternative routes suggested and no impact at peak times or in the day.

Not bashing DOI (well maybe, as experience points to a cluster*uck in all likelihood), and I have put in an FOI to hopefully get some insight into the problems, but, does anyone know why the A2 just prior to start/finish line is being dug up for the third/fourth/fifth time in a year and similarly why an area near the entrance to Hillberry Green/Governor's Bridge by the new care home has been dug up at least 8 or 9 times in the past eighteen months.

11 minutes ago, SuffolkNGoode said:

Not bashing DOI (well maybe, as experience points to a cluster*uck in all likelihood), and I have put in an FOI to hopefully get some insight into the problems, but, does anyone know why the A2 just prior to start/finish line is being dug up for the third/fourth/fifth time in a year and similarly why an area near the entrance to Hillberry Green/Governor's Bridge by the new care home has been dug up at least 8 or 9 times in the past eighteen months.

They are installing new services over a period of time.

Rather than leave the road dig up for months they put a new surface down and then lift it again when they need to.

The last tarmac job by the police station wasn’t up to standard and needed redoing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ativa said:

It will be interesting to see that they do with Sulby Straight pre TT, because they won’t be racing on it as it is.

Since we are only about a month away and any work will need signing off it must just be a plane and resurface, which should do the job but obviously doesn’t fix the issue of the tree roots under the road.

Realistically the trees need to come down and the whole road dig out and a new base laid, which no doubt means the “fix” that will happen in the next couple of weeks is very temporary 

6BE8C69B-9D62-45D4-8F08-E73BAE5037B9.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I know the way the island works.  The DOI are crap whatever they do blah blah blah.

However if you actually forget what has happened in the past and look at the work they have done in the last six months it all seems to be to a very good standard, and there is a lot of it.

Yes there have been issues in the past but it genuinely looks like we might be turning a corner.

Obviously everything can’t change overnight and they can’t miraculously fix every road in a matter of months but there are very positive signs of a turnaround.

If you haven’t then have a look at their Facebook which has regular useful updates on current schemes, several of which are being done out of hours to minimise disruption.

Maybe, just maybe before being too negative people should give them a few more moths to see what a new management can actually achieve without just tarring them with the same brush that has been used for decades.

Edited by Ativa

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

They are installing new services over a period of time.

Rather than leave the road dig up for months they put a new surface down and then lift it again when they need to.

The last tarmac job by the police station wasn’t up to standard and needed redoing.

Can the surface be lifted up? Or it is destroyed and a new surface put down?

Feels like they could coordinate the repairs with whoever lays the surfaces to prevent redoing work 5/6 times over 

I will await further evidence as to an improvement, the jury is most definitely out on this!

I have been advised by FOI department to send my query directly to Highways, which I have just done - fingers crossed it is not repeated failure of previous works or poor planning.

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

Can the surface be lifted up? Or it is destroyed and a new surface put down?

Feels like they could coordinate the repairs with whoever lays the surfaces to prevent redoing work 5/6 times over 

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

I know the way the island works.  The DOI are crap whatever they do blah blah blah.

However if you actually forget what has happened in the past and look at the work they have done in the last six months it all seems to be to a very good standard, and there is a lot of it.

Yes there have been issues in the past but it genuinely looks like we might be turning a corner.

Obviously everything can’t change overnight and they can’t miraculously fix every road in a matter of months but there are very positive signs of a turnaround.

If you haven’t then have a look at their Facebook which has regular useful updates on current schemes, several of which are being done out of hours to minimise disruption.

Maybe, just maybe before being too negative people should give them a few more moths to see what a new management can actually achieve without just tarring them with the same brush that has been used for decades.

Do you have any links to support any of the above, apart from the FB suggestions (which I do read btw) please? There appears to reveal a remarkable insight into DOI culture...?

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Do you have any links to support any of the above, apart from the FB suggestions (which I do read btw) please? There appears to reveal a remarkable insight into DOI culture...?

Nope. Just two eyes and a lot of travel round the island.

The roads they have done recently are much better than the work they were doing previously.

eg.  Surely they are going to have to resurface the TT course coming out of a Sulby which they only did a year or so ago.  It’s appalling, and that pink stuff they put down is starting to show through in sections which will be VERY slippery when wet.

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There won’t be any facts he’s even less reliable than Banker for actual facts.