DOI fails again

Two-lane

On 4/28/2023 at 9:42 PM, Non-Believer said:

To be fair, I could understand the installation of the dropped kerbs there in the name of inclusion and ease of crossing for those requiring it. But the rest of the Full Monty...? Unless there is a legal requirement for it all to be included?

There is no legal requirement. There is guidance but as you say the full monties are not required for every situation. It becomes silly. 

On 4/28/2023 at 9:42 PM, Non-Believer said:

To be fair, I could understand the installation of the dropped kerbs there in the name of inclusion and ease of crossing for those requiring it. But the rest of the Full Monty...? Unless there is a legal requirement for it all to be included?

Aren’t there already dropped kerbs outside the chippy, a whole 20 yards away?

Are those knobbly bits they put down to assist sight impaired people?  The new ones run from the kerb under the barriers outside The Royal George and into their outdoor seating area.  Surely that can’t be right?  Having an obstruction in the middle of the knobbly paving?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Presuming the hill climb that ran yesterday means the DoI have nothing left to do up there and the Mountain Road will be open next week ahead of schedule? 

At least another week of work to do to stabilise a rock face after a large landslip. Hill climb ran as they placed safety fencing below the unstable cliff (fencing was reused from elsewhere apparently).

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

The new Windy Corner is superb!! Easily another few MPH on a race bike and I reckon an easy run at 80 in my car.

But this is what pisses off a large proportion of the motoring public who perhaps aren't dyed in the wool TT fans. In the meantime, the route that visitors to the Island take when making their way from the airport (when the planes can actually land, that is) resembles a motocross track. Hardly a good first impression for our visitors?

I can attest to that, having taken the bus down there a couple of weeks ago. The section southbound from the bottom of Brown Cow Hill is a disgrace (and the bottom of Richmond Hill too) and yet there's "no funds available" to do it. But Windy Corner that was subject to a major engineering overhaul only 17 years ago and was in perfectly serviceable condition for normal motoring is having another fortune splashed on it, no doubt in the hope of the Holy Grail of another lap record reached, which your experience would appear to support.

The priorities need to be addressed.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

The new Windy Corner is superb!! Easily another few MPH on a race bike and I reckon an easy run at 80 in my car.

More deaths on the horizon. Better alter my predictions. Glad my hard earned is being spent well on these Darwin Award winners. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ativa said:

FFS - Really?

Unless you post a video on here with your cars speedo in the video going round that corner,  it did not - or should I say, will not, more likely - Ever have happened with you behind the wheel ..........

PROVE me wrong, please. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

But this is what pisses off a large proportion of the motoring public who perhaps aren't dyed in the wool TT fans. In the meantime, the route that visitors to the Island take when making their way from the airport (when the planes can actually land, that is) resembles a motocross track. Hardly a good first impression for our visitors?

I can attest to that, having taken the bus down there a couple of weeks ago. The section southbound from the bottom of Brown Cow Hill is a disgrace (and the bottom of Richmond Hill too) and yet there's "no funds available" to do it. But Windy Corner that was subject to a major engineering overhaul only 17 years ago and was in perfectly serviceable condition for normal motoring is having another fortune splashed on it, no doubt in the hope of the Holy Grail of another lap record reached, which your experience would appear to support.

The priorities need to be addressed.

It has been explained by the DOI and th minister a number of times why the Road down south isn’t done yet.

it is happening, but is a much bigger job than planing the top off windy corner and putting down new tarmac.

It is a complete new road build from a couple of feet down on a major route that will take many months to complete.

The two jobs aren’t even remotely comparable 

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ativa said:

It has been explained by the DOI and th minister a number of times why the Road down south isn’t done yet.

it is happening, but is a much bigger job than planing the top off windy corner and putting down new tarmac.

It is a complete new road build from a couple of feet down on a major route that will take many months to complete.

Sooner the better then.  It’s horrendous as it is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ativa said:

It is a complete new road build, on a major route that will take many months to complete.

So rather than conserving the funds for the bigger job, we'll just make a big job out of doing a perfectly serviceable piece of road that was done in the recent past? There was no requirement whatsoever for Windy to be planed and resurfaced at this time, the road edge vegetation needed to be scraped off to improve water run off, that was all.

This is just a prime example of "using up the annual budget" IMHO. If they had money that needed to be spent then sort Sulby Straight out before it kills somebody in the races.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1