DOI fails again

Two-lane

3 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

So rather than conserving the funds for the bigger job, we'll just make a big job out of doing a perfectly serviceable piece of road that was done in the recent past? There was no requirement whatsoever for Windy to be planed and resurfaced at this time, the road edge vegetation needed to be scraped off to improve water run off, that was all.

This is just a prime example of "using up the annual budget" IMHO. If they had money that needed to be spent then sort Sulby Straight out before it kills somebody in the races.

The road was breaking up ffs.

Part of the delay on the southbound road is making sure all works that might be needed in the next couple of years on the alternative routes Omar’s done in advance.

That road hasn’t been properly looked at for over 50 years.  It is basically a full build of a new carriageway on what is a main road.  Money spent on windy was required and stops it becoming a major project in the future.  A stitch in time and all that, the sort of thing other roads would have benefited from over the last 20 years.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Breaking up where? A couple of minor potholes in a surface that was only 17 years old after all. If you think that's bad, take a good look at Parliament Sq, Ramsey and the run past the bus station into the bottom of May Hill.

But as you say, those areas might not add a couple of mph 😉

10 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Part of the delay on the southbound road is making sure all works that might be needed in the next couple of years on the alternative routes Omar’s done in advance.

That road hasn’t been properly looked at for over 50 years.  It is basically a full build of a new carriageway on what is a main road.  Money spent on windy was required and stops it becoming a major project in the future.  A stitch in time and all that, the sort of thing other roads would have benefited from over the last 20 years.

Always nice to have government employee Notwell on hand at all times on these boards to put us low life’s back in our box 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Gizo said:

Always nice to have government employee Notwell on hand at all times on these boards to put us low life’s back in our box 🙄

Check my previous posts.  I don’t work for government and regularly knock them when they do things I don’t agree with.

I have no idea who or what notwell is?

Yesterday I spent a couple of minutes observing Ramsey's new pedestrian crossing. I saw someone approach from the direction of Harbour Bistro and head towards the church. She simply walked diagonally across the road and totally ignored the crossing.

I considered approaching her and pointing out not only the danger she had placed herself in but also her callous disregard for the taxpayer's money spent on the crossing. But then again, you don't want to mess with Ramsey Ladies.

But seriously, why install a crossing where no one wants to cross?

No point in an FoI request. No point in an email to Thomas.

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Breaking up where? A couple of minor potholes in a surface that was only 17 years old after all. If you think that's bad, take a good look at Parliament Sq, Ramsey and the run past the bus station into the bottom of May Hill.

But as you say, those areas might not add a couple of mph 😉

I wonder if there are any environmental factors which mean the road at Windy Corner on the Mountain Road may require work more frequently than some other low lying roads in the middle of town?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I wonder if there are any environmental factors which mean the road at Windy Corner on the Mountain Road may require work more frequently than some other low lying roads in the middle of town?

More frequently to the extent of neglecting those other areas almost completely you mean? I entirely get your point but IMHO there are other sections of the TT course, particularly the northern sections, that are more deserving than yet another makeover of Windy.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 12:50 AM, Non-Believer said:

More frequently to the extent of neglecting those other areas almost completely you mean? I entirely get your point but IMHO there are other sections of the TT course, particularly the northern sections, that are more deserving than yet another makeover of Windy.

But you can't see them properly from a helicopter on TV either that or they are less likely to bring a new lap record for the headlines.

• Thanks 1

From an FoI (not by me) - another £41,000..:

"1. Please can you advise how many miles or how many days diesel loco no.21 has
worked on the IoM Steam Railway since its delivery in December 2013.
2. What works are required to make the loco operational? What is the estimate cost of
those works?
3. When was the last time any repair work was carried out on the loco, what was the
nature of those works and were they effective in fixing a particular issue?
4. What is the total cost of the works carried out so far?
5. What the plans for the future of loco no.21 and when will a decision be made to
complete repairs or dispose of it?"

Our response to you is as follows:
1. We do not hold information prior to 2018. During the period 2018 – 2021, the loco
has operated for 1749.4 Miles in service.
2. The replacement of a cracked axle, gearbox repair, motor refurbishment and bogies
re-assembly. The estimated cost of this work was £40,000.
3. October 2022. The bogie was stripped to (1) extract the traction motors, (2) to
enable an axle to be replaced, (3) to allow repairs to damaged motor insulation and
(4) to allow investigations of the work required for the replacement / repair of a
damaged bearing.
4. Further to information that is in the public domain:-
https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/cabbage-limps-back-to-the-depot-for-more-repairs-
The Department have spent a further £41,000.
5. This information is not ‘held’ as it would call for the prediction of the outcome of
future decision making"

14 minutes ago, cissolt said:

What caused the landslip? Is it a result of the snowfall a few weeks ago?

Lots of the land slips have been caused by poor drainage maintenance. Over the last two or three decades. They’ve been abandoned. They no longer function.

There was a network of ditches and drains running parallel to the roads, above the roads, to collection ditches where the water was culverted under the roads or, depending on the lay of the land, away from the roads.

• Thanks 2

On 4/30/2023 at 8:27 PM, Two-lane said:

But seriously, why install a crossing where no one wants to cross?

No point in an FoI request. No point in an email to Thomas.

There was an FoI (if you'd bothered looking). The response shows that it was installed at the request of Ramsey Town Commissioners. FoI number 2941610