DOI fails again

Two-lane

12 hours ago, Omobono said:

if the road markings are gone  surly the DOI are responsible if anyone drives over them and is involved in a traffic accident ,and probably liable as well  especially as many of the defects have been reported to the department  

I have never seen an authority be liable for accidents caused by markings worn off. But I am prepared to stand corrected...as always

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I have never seen an authority be liable for accidents caused by markings worn off. But I am prepared to stand corrected...as always

the police had barely cleared the scene after that fatal crash at the bottom of royal avenue  a few years back before the DOI  were out there repainting all the missing stop and give way lines.

34 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Were they found liable?

being found liable and actually being fully or partly responsible in the first place aren't the same thing as i'm sure your pedantic self knows full well.

2 hours ago, WTF said:

being found liable and actually being fully or partly responsible in the first place aren't the same thing as i'm sure your pedantic self knows full well.

the devil is in the detail. Facts speak louder than opinions. I don't disagree though that markings should be better maintained.

I do not know if the DoI or DBC is responsible, but I'll go with the DoI for now. A long length of the seaward side of the .prom. by the Summerland site, is now reserved for coaches. I might jump to the conclusion that this is necessary because in the old days coaches would park here and there on the .prom, but now that the horse tram lines have been relocated towards the edge of the road there would be no room between the coach and the horse tram and the traffic.

But there is plenty of space for coaches in this new area.

20230509_112343-preview1-ri.jpg.a8e437be39e8110d7d49437f115d95cd.jpg

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I do not know if the DoI or DBC is responsible, but I'll go with the DoI for now. A long length of the seaward side of the .prom. by the Summerland site, is now reserved for coaches. I might jump to the conclusion that this is necessary because in the old days coaches would park here and there on the .prom, but now that the horse tram lines have been relocated towards the edge of the road there would be no room between the coach and the horse tram and the traffic.

Hasn’t that been there for years?

Coaches park there over night and then trundle to the Sefton or wherever in the morning to pick up the blue rinse brigade.

Just now, Ativa said:

Hasn’t that been there for years?

Not to the extent that exists now. I used to park there now and again to take a look at the MER trams. [And in pre-history, I would park there and run to the other end of the  .prom and back.]

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

I wouldn't worry. Park there. No one will enforce it anyway. 

• Like 1

more big ticket expense planned by the DOI , went to the presentation   tonight  for the new proposed   Living Street zone DOI want to create in   part of central Douglas  , I guess the cost will be around £350 thousand     at the least ,and involve speed bumps  on Alexander drive  ,cycle routes, one way systems  pedestrian crossings , needless to say it appeared to be going down like a lead balloon  with many of the residents ,who  would be happy it seems,  with some form of 20 MPH enforced  limit along Westminster Terrace and drive , and the Same along Ballakermeen road , at Ballakermeen  school starting and leaving times 

Talk about taking a sledgehammer to crack a walnut   and Devonshire road entrance   onto Quarter bridge road  would be closed to motor vehicles   and only available for cyclists , 

No sign of Mr Thomas  the minister in charge , his department have succeeded in upsetting a lot of people , and this is only the first night of the presentations   another Little England scheme  when are these boys going to learn  the money  is running out fast ,

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Two-lane said:

I can just see the average coach driver (and they tend to be even older and more rotund than bus drivers) wanting to walk the length of the Prom every morning to pick up his vehicle.  And then discover that all the windows are covered with salt and will need cleaning.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I can just see the average coach driver (and they tend to be even older and more rotund than bus drivers) wanting to walk the length of the Prom every morning to pick up his vehicle.  And then discover that all the windows are covered with salt and will need cleaning.

They have done it for the last 20 plus years, so what is the issue?

26 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well if they can't put up with that they shouldn't be a coach driver!

What's better, having coaches looking abandoned all down the prom in front of hotels / guesthouses blocking all the 'sea views'?

as if we didn't have enough crap to contend with on the roads ,Manx radio announced  this morning that the DOI are going to allow Electric scooters to be used , this is after many European countries   including the city of Paris have recently banned them because of the dangers to pedestrians and other road users , 

with all the problems they are inflicting on the motoring public , here is another  woke form of transport ,  that I doubt will ever be properly controlled  ,and no doubt its use will be abused  and someone will get hurt or even worse ,