DOI fails again

Two-lane

3 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Well, I can assure you, when one comes barreling down the pavement, full pelt at me, as an ex-rugby player, I will be a law unto myself as well! 

Maybe you're a 100kg unit.  But a 50kg unit hitting you at 20mph is still definitely going to leave a mark.  Especially considering they are more or less silent and you'll probably have no time to brace or duck and dive. 

Just now, The Phantom said:

Maybe you're a 100kg unit.  But a 50kg unit hitting you at 20mph is still definitely going to leave a mark.  Especially considering they are more or less silent and you'll probably have no time to brace or duck and dive. 

BTW we don't live in Somalia and they're scooters, not predator missiles. People don't get on them exclusively to keep score of how many grannies they can knock over.

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Don't get me wrong, I think they probably should be legal.  It's just another example of our ridiculous beaurocracy we now have on this Island.  

It's just that they won't be some sort of panacea for the Island's travel issues.  A handful of sensible people will use them I reckon.  The majority will be chavs flying up and down pavements being a nuisance.  Someone will certainly be killed either riding them or being hit by one in fairly short order though. 

The problem is, Phantom, many old fashioned methods of transport have been wrapped up in red tape making them inaccessible. For example, mopeds used to be able to be ridden on a car license. Not any more. Mopeds could be ridden by anyone over 16 with a provisional license. Still possible, but CBT costs, and is unnecessary red tape. For a motorcycle license, CBT is a good idea though. The cost of driving lessons, along with the cost of the test and insurance puts many people off learning to drive. 

Edited by Cambon

3 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

BTW we don't live in Somalia and they're scooters, not predator missiles. People don't get on them exclusively to keep score of how many grannies they can knock over.

I think the roads in Somalia would be suboptimal for an e-scooter.

Are you referring to a Predator drone?  It's not a missile, it does fire missiles though. 

Legalise them and before you can say Chris Thomas they'll be seen as a source for DOI revenue. Licence and tax of some sort.

Any perceived advantages or convenience will be forgotten in the grab for the cash, plus eventually all the arguments about contributions to wear and tear, just like electric cars.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

And all without paying road tax or insurance. When will the poor motorist get justice ?

You raise an interesting point however. 

Driverless drones on roads will be a thing in the near future.  Will they have to pay road tax? I'd assume they'd have to be insured. 

Determining the legalities of something like this that will certainly be the future, would be a better use of DOI resources. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ativa said:

They have [parked at Derby Castle] for the last 20 plus years, so what is the issue?

21 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I believe the main reason why they’ve put more slots in there is that the DOI has had an issue with too many off island coaches parking at the sea terminal 

21 hours ago, Mercenary said:

What's better, having coaches looking abandoned all down the prom in front of hotels / guesthouses blocking all the 'sea views'?

Well make your mind up fellas.  Are they currently at the top of the Prom, the bottom of the Prom or spread out between the two?

There's a serious point here.  How successful or not a visiting coach tour is depends very much on the driver the company uses and how happy they are with it.  Make life hard for them and they're much less likely to recommend that their company comes back to the Isle of Man (or wherever) or tell customers on other trips what a good place it is to visit.  In all forms of group travel a lot depends on those professionals leading the trip (and if it involves bringing a coach, these will include a coach driver) and making life easy for them will pay dividends.

Because of Longworth's fantasy of running trams down the Prom, inconveniencing everyone who wants to park along there, this has been made harder.

• Like 2

https://iomfloodhub.im/maps-data/weather-stations/

The IOM Met Office page used to have a 'Weather Stations' tab that provided real time info for a selection of locations (mostly harbours).  It was really useful for finding out localised current conditions for sea users especially.

In the last few days, they've updated and combined it with a Flood Hub information service. 

Now half the stations don't work and the ones that do have all their information combined on one single shitty and difficult to read line chart.

Take something that works well and make it shit in the name of an update! 

The Laxey River webcams all also appear to have broken 10 days ago. 

Semi related, they've also now put a Meteorological Sea Survey Buoy a couple of miles off Pt Erin.  Lots of interesting and useful information, however it appears they've given a toddler a red bull and some felt tips in order to visualise it on some shit line charts again. 

https://app.konectgds.com/kiosk/d66ee3b7-36a2-4d7a-8545-b2f37313db70

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

This was on the 12th May so we are led to believe that in the last 20 days the following had happened via a government department 

150DB8A8-8BD2-4EE9-8F8A-082C651BC770.jpeg

No, because you are confusing two incidents. It’s not difficult given the circumlocution used, the ( unnecessary ) words.

What I think Minister Thomas means is.

Since the last incident 4 years ago we have done X, Y, Z as back up braking systems. They worked well in this case on 12 May 2023 when the primary system failed.

• Like 2