DOI fails again

Two-lane

The name of the person who wrote the report is redacted, which I find astounding. Is this standard practice?

The driver was Ian Longworth, as reported several times. It has also been noted that the injured person was "known to the driver".

"There was no professional engineering oversight of the condition and maintenance of
the cars" - which, I guess, comes down to Longworth.

"The driver of Car 16 was an experienced motorman who has over 40 years’ experience driving tramcars"

The driver had 40 years experience sitting in an office and occasionally driving a tram.

In this case, the report says that excessive speed was not the problem, but as I am here:

The people I knew on all three railways - MER Snaefell and Steam - all said the Longworth drove too fast. A while ago I met someone in England who knew Longworth, and pretty much the first thing he said was that Longworth drives coaches too fast.

I have conductored when Longworth was driving - he has no concern for the passengers and drives too fast.

• Like 3

Maybe if they can't maintain the rolling stock they've got in a safe condition they should stop buying more shit (peat trains, cabbages), put up a museum or sell on the majority of roling stock and reduce the offering to weekends and special occassions.

Before we have a real tragedy that makes the sort of headlines that will burn around the world and be forever assocaited with brand "Isle of Man" and ends up closing the thing down forever. Paving the way for a cylce/heritage trail from Ramsey to Laxey and Onchan, and Laxey to Snaefell.  One thing for sure is you'd never see IL anywhere near them again

Allinson tried to make out they have to keep spending the reserve to maintain the existing government services (i.e. jobs and gravy train) at current levels. I'd say cut all but essentials until you balance the budget. I'd rather see more doctors and dentists than a prehistoric transport system if that means we can live within our means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was the interesting and potentially expensive bit (my paraphrasing). "A survey to be conducted within 3 months to identify areas where a derailing could result in a potential steep drop to ensure that there is a suitable ballast restraining shoulder."

So anywhere that there could be a likely derailing next to a steep drop could need major engineering work to ensure that a derailed tram doesn't go over? How many such places are there between Ramsey and Douglas? Bulgham anybody? Anywhere through Laxey? Would it need to be applied to the SMR?

This could be expensive, if not impossible.

34 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The name of the person who wrote the report is redacted, which I find astounding. Is this standard practice?

The driver was Ian Longworth, as reported several times. It has also been noted that the injured person was "known to the driver".

"There was no professional engineering oversight of the condition and maintenance of
the cars" - which, I guess, comes down to Longworth.

"The driver of Car 16 was an experienced motorman who has over 40 years’ experience driving tramcars"

The driver had 40 years experience sitting in an office and occasionally driving a tram.

In this case, the report says that excessive speed was not the problem, but as I am here:

The people I knew on all three railways - MER Snaefell and Steam - all said the Longworth drove too fast. A while ago I met someone in England who knew Longworth, and pretty much the first thing he said was that Longworth drives coaches too fast.

I have conductored when Longworth was driving - he has no concern for the passengers and drives too fast.

You do have to question if the Inspector and Longworth have too cosy a relationship. 

I believe that one was up for renewal so perhaps there could be some change.

Jason Moorehouse MHK is quizzing Minister Thomas MHK this week, over a parochial matter, involving the removal of waste, and the length of time it’s taken for both the contractor and the DOI to get their act together and do simple things. As much as I find the petty questioning to be a complete waste of resources, our politicos aren’t helping themselves, especially when tasks aren’t being completed. 

44 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Jason Moorehouse MHK is quizzing Minister Thomas MHK this week, over a parochial matter, involving the removal of waste, and the length of time it’s taken for both the contractor and the DOI to get their act together and do simple things. As much as I find the petty questioning to be a complete waste of resources, our politicos aren’t helping themselves, especially when tasks aren’t being completed. 

Moorhouse's question is:

What expectations his Department has with regard to the removal of waste and other materials following completion of public works such as those recently undertaken at Ballabeg; and what assessment he has made of the impact on a community of delay in the removal of waste.

Now "all politics is local", but he has actually widened it out to more general policy and it's not just a problem with waste - think how many misleading road signs get left around for ages after work has finished.

Moorhouse is leading Ashford 5-3 in Keys questions this week (I'll try to do an end of year round up in July) and it's worth pointing out that most of his are on topics that people have been asking about on Manx Forums: airport closures[1], Crogga, the green strip on Douglas Prom.  People can't really complain about not knowing about things and that Moorhouse is asking about the same things.

[1]  Ashford also asks about this in the form of 'runway closures' which suggests he has got confused.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Moorhouse's question is:

What expectations his Department has with regard to the removal of waste and other materials following completion of public works such as those recently undertaken at Ballabeg; and what assessment he has made of the impact on a community of delay in the removal of waste

It's a fair point, there's a pile of crap there that's been there for weeks despite the job being 'finished'.

• Like 1