DOI fails again

Two-lane

8 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Would you have abandoned an expensive car for 6months and expected no repercussions? 

Expensive? It's a scabby thirteen year old B class!

ETA I think they did well to get £1400 for it!

Edited by finlo
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, forestboy said:

It wasn’t abandoned.  Simply parked until owner returned. 

Depends on your definition of abandoned I suppose. Left on private land and making no attempt to make contact with the owner  of the land....what would you do if it was left on your driveway. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Oh that's OK then? Long stay is normally anything more than 3 days or so while you go on holiday. 6 months. That's just ridiculous.

Long stay is whatever the carpark defines it as.

Gatwick allows over 12 months.  What are you basing 'normally' on? Something you made up?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Oh that's OK then? Long stay is normally anything more than 3 days or so while you go on holiday. 6 months. That's just ridiculous.

I know government likes to regulate a lot here but you’re saying that the length of peoples holidays should now be limited to 3 months by civil servants? I’m not sure the maximum stay was actually defined in the old ticketing system which I’d guess applied when the car was parked? I know a few retired civil servants who spend 6 months in Thailand or Spain over the winter. It seems unfair to try to put a cap on peoples holidays to avoid creating problems for the greedy DOI who don’t want to wait for their money. 

Edited by SuperHans
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I know government likes to regulate a lot here but you’re saying that the length of peoples holidays should now be limited to 3 months by civil servants? I’m not sure the maximum stay was actually defined in the old ticketing system which I’d guess applied when the car was parked? I know a few retired civil servants who spend 6 months in Thailand or Spain over the winter. It seems unfair to try to put a cap on peoples holidays to avoid creating problems for the greedy DOI who don’t want to wait for their money. 

No one is putting a cap on people's holidays. Just asking that you pay for the parking.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:55 PM, Happier diner said:

No one is putting a cap on people's holidays. Just asking that you pay for the parking.

They are putting a cap on peoples holidays. A lot of airports allow stays of 6 months or more without stealing your car and selling it. 

3 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Was it in the long stay though?

Yes. Although it doesn’t matter. It’s only the first fortnight where charges are different. From Day 14 it’s £60 until the end of week 12 or 3 months.

4 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

They are putting a cap on peoples holidays. A lot of airports allow stays of 6 months or more without stealing your car and selling it. 

No, because you can renew 12 weeks at a time, seemingly without end or limit.

On 3/5/2023 at 9:54 PM, Happier diner said:

How much for 12 months at Gatwick?

£233.

Paid in advance though. 

And in IoM, in either car park, 48 weeks or 12 months, it’s not clear, is £240 and you top up, £60 at a time, every 12 weeks/3 months.

And given you could pay for 4 successive periods of 12 weeks/3 months when you start, because you can choose dates in advance, and if you wanted to stay longer you just keep on topping up.