DOI fails again

Two-lane

10 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Vehicles are supposed to give way

With or without a dropped pavement vehicles are supposed to give way to pedestrians wishing to cross, so the 'stupid' thing you are describing is exactly the same as every other road that is covered by the rules of the Highway Code. I'm interested to know why you take such exception to this particular arrangement as it seems to me that it's been designed to remind drivers of their obligation to give way to pedestrians. 

Edited by Roxanne
change word
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

With or without a dropped pavement vehicles are supposed to give way to pedestrians wishing to cross, so the 'stupid' thing you are describing is exactly the same as every other road that is covered by the rules of the Highway Code. I'm interested to know why you take such exception to this particular arrangement as it seems to me that it's been designed to remind drivers of their obligation to give way to pedestrians. 

I am aware of that.  My concern is that it lulls pedestrians into a false sense of security that they can just step out and assume vehicles will give way.

I am fully aware that vehicles should give way and I always do.  However, as a pedestrian I would never ASSUME a driver was going to and would never step out until I could see any traffic had seen me and were slowing or stopped.  It’s the same as any driving or walking.  Never assume, and this road layout IMO encourages pedestrians to assume they will be OK.

The proof is in the pudding.  There appears to have been an incident on one of these new things while there are very few on the hundreds of not thousands of other junctions on island.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WTF said:

it used to be for pedestrians to have right of way without traffic lights the road was coloured with black and white stripes , now its just anything some wanker in an office dreams up

Pedestrians have always had the right of way. Everywhere and all the time. Nothing has changed. Never. 

Edited by Happier diner
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

They have raised a section across the junction so it’s just an extension of the pavement.

Vehicles are supposed to give way so people on the “pavement” and there were signs up saying so when they first went in which vanished months ago.

Difficult to explain but if you walk down there you cross a few side roads without any kerbs or changes in level.

I will do a search and see if I can find anything that explains it better

I don’t agree with all the recent changes in the Highway Code, I’m happy enough giving way to pedestrians when going from a minor to a major road, however when going from a major to a minor I’m always concerned someone will go into the back of me, people just aren’t expecting you to stop. The recent changes have also meant that some pedestrians exercise their right and will just walk infront of traffic regardless of whether it’s safe to do so or not, in short the mentality is that pedestrians don’t need to watch for traffic now as they have right of way.

If someone has been hit at one of these junctions the follow up will be quite interesting, pedestrian will have right of way, but there has been instances I’ve been waved to carry on by the pedestrian so it suggests not everyone is happy with the recent changes. I will always make sure it’s safe to cross regardless of priority because drivers just don’t pay attention (typically the same ones that drive past Zebra crossings with peds waiting to cross and through red lights) 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Not really. Pedestrians only have right of way if they have started to cross.

"Rule H2 - Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning."

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"Rule H2 - Rule for drivers, motorcyclists, horse drawn vehicles, horse riders and cyclists

At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning."

I can't find that in the Manx Highway Code, Rule 170 of which reads;

Watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way.

There is even a picture of a crossing pedestrian at the bottom of the page (P.65) with the caption; Rule 170 Give way to pedestrians who have started to cross. 

Seems pretty clear to me. 

3 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

I can't find that in the Manx Highway Code, Rule 170 of which reads;

Watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way.

There is even a picture of a crossing pedestrian at the bottom of the page (P.65) with the caption; Rule 170 Give way to pedestrians who have started to cross. 

Seems pretty clear to me. 

Most people are working on the basis that the UK rules apply here.  You certainly have to drive on the assumption that anyone from across will assume our rules are the same.

Our code is being updated to reflect the changes.  Why it takes so long I have no idea.  You would think it’s just a copy and paste job and could be interesting if a case comes to court where someone assumed our rules were as UK.

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

I am amused by statements like this. The implication is that at any other time, it is ok to not watch out for pedestrians and you can just run them over. I will keep an eye out for any MHK crossing the road.