DOI fails again

Two-lane

Neither Curphey nor Thomas has responded to my email about the invisible car park signs at the airport. I've just had another reminder letter about a parking fine from the airport, though. Maybe I should send them both a reminder email about my email... maybe if they got a personal £60 fine for not responding, things would happen.

On 3/1/2023 at 1:23 PM, emesde said:

I noticed that the pedestrian crossing in  Victoria Street is still not completed although past the 20 weeks deadline. 

There was a big.notice attached to the barriers stating that work starts on 3rd October 2022 and would continue for 20 weeks. 

At the time most people couldn't believe it could possibly take 20 weeks. 

Well it seems we were all wrong. 

By my reckoning it should have been completed by 20th Feb. 

I noticed the sign giving the work dates seemed to have disappeared. 

Even when they give exaggerated work times they still overrun them. 

I wonder how much over budget this little job will be.? 

Just for the record. still not finished. 

Total embarrassment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, emesde said:

Just for the record. still not finished. 

Total embarrassment. 

They're giving incompetence a bad name so it seems about time for the department to rebrand and name change. I suggest they go for black or camouflage livery to lower their public profile to the same level as their reputation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 9:34 PM, SuperHans said:

I know government likes to regulate a lot here but you’re saying that the length of peoples holidays should now be limited to 3 months by civil servants? I’m not sure the maximum stay was actually defined in the old ticketing system which I’d guess applied when the car was parked? I know a few retired civil servants who spend 6 months in Thailand or Spain over the winter. It seems unfair to try to put a cap on peoples holidays to avoid creating problems for the greedy DOI who don’t want to wait for their money. 

There is a cap, it’s called the residence period enabling tax benefits, hence off island is capped 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I think you’re confused

An individual will be considered Isle of Man tax resident from the date that they arrive if they establish an intention to reside on the Island.  There are also day count tests where a person’s tax residence might be in question; an individual will be Isle of Man tax resident if they spend more than six months in the Isle of Man in the tax year in question, or if this test does not apply, more than 90 days per tax year on average over any four consecutive tax years.

1 hour ago, buncha wankas said:

An individual will be considered Isle of Man tax resident from the date that they arrive if they establish an intention to reside on the Island.  There are also day count tests where a person’s tax residence might be in question; an individual will be Isle of Man tax resident if they spend more than six months in the Isle of Man in the tax year in question, or if this test does not apply, more than 90 days per tax year on average over any four consecutive tax years.

Yes, that’s for becoming or being considered  tax resident.

Losing tax residence is different. There’s no number of days you must be here to remain tax resident. 

Obviously you could acquire a different tax residence. In fact you can have more than one tax residence.

But once you have Manx tax residence absence from the Island doesn’t cause you to lose it.

So, if you’ve lived and worked here for the last 20 years, still own a house here, intend to reside here and maintain tax residence here, you can swan around the world in retirement, a month here, a month there, a cruise, three months in Schengen, etc., etc., for years on end, just filling out your tax form, paying your dues here.

Your confusion lies in the fact you are applying a test designed to decide when you become tax resident with what you have to do to remain tax resident. They aren’t the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buncha wankas said:

Even from what you quote you can be away for six months - or nine if you do so for a longer period.

3 minutes ago, finlo said:

Ah, but will your car still be at the airport on your return?

The IOM is one of the few places where you can go away for 6 months of the year or more and from the comfort of your own holiday villa you can log in to Chrystal’s Auctions online and watch your car being sold off to pay for the convenience! 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

They're giving incompetence a bad name so it seems about time for the department to rebrand and name change. I suggest they go for black or camouflage livery to lower their public profile to the same level as their reputation.  

Who are incompetent? DOI? Or the contractor CCJ Group?  Aka that tosser Clarkson.. 

18 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

Your post makes me think back to the good ole days when roadworks weren't contracted out, but done in-house. 

Now, what was the name of that department? It was very fitting as I remember. 

Ah yes, it was the Hideaway Board. Would be the perfect re-rebrand for 2023.