DOI fails again

Two-lane

54 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Elegance Taxis even manage live tracking through their App. 

We have live tracking via findmybus.im

However, unless you know all the bus numbers and the routes its only moderately useful. It shows where are the buses are at any given time, but you don't know where they are heading or how long its going to take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Do you know why our bus stops are not on Google maps?

I don't really know.  I have raised this several times with people at various meetings over the years and never got a sensible answer or indeed any answer at all.

There's some information and links on this Reddit thread about how a transport authority can make its data usable and sign up to be a "Transit Partner":

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleMaps/comments/175bxq2/how_to_add_my_citys_public_transport_routestimes/

and I suspect it's simple enough - an awful lot of places seem to manage it.  Presumably it's felt that doing this will only benefit the transport users rather than the bureaucrats.  It will also need a commitment to keeping things up to date and we know that while (sometimes) effort and (always) expense will go into new things, maintenance and keeping things going is frowned on by those in charge.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't really know.  I have raised this several times with people at various meetings over the years and never got a sensible answer or indeed any answer at all.

There's some information and links on this Reddit thread about how a transport authority can make its data usable and sign up to be a "Transit Partner":

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleMaps/comments/175bxq2/how_to_add_my_citys_public_transport_routestimes/

and I suspect it's simple enough - an awful lot of places seem to manage it.  Presumably it's felt that doing this will only benefit the transport users rather than the bureaucrats.  It will also need a commitment to keeping things up to date and we know that while (sometimes) effort and (always) expense will go into new things, maintenance and keeping things going is frowned on by those in charge.

I thought IOMG employed someone specifically to make sure that we are fully engaged with the likes of Google. It's not as if we have submarine or aircraft shelters to hide from those who would wish us harm.

Digital Isle of Man, my arse!

According to the not so great map of routes there appears to be a peel/south connection 4R, (seasonal) there however seems to be no notice when seasonal is or notice of a possible timetable. 
looks like usual fake news from this dept. 

19 minutes ago, Gizo said:

According to the not so great map of routes there appears to be a peel/south connection 4R, (seasonal) there however seems to be no notice when seasonal is or notice of a possible timetable. 
looks like usual fake news from this dept. 

It's because they haven't updated the maps.  The 4R ran once a day at 9:55 from Douglas to Port Erin, but via Foxdale, the Patrick Road and the Round Table.  On weekends and bank holidays only.  From mid-June to early September.  It's not being run this year, it seems it didn't build up much usage, can't imagine why.

Similarly the 8 (Peel to Castletown, 2 a day), the 8R (Peel to Port Erin, one a day) and the 28 (PE to Sound via PSM and Cregneash 7 a day) have all been scrapped.  All these were also weekend only  and the same high summer only (17 June to 3 September last year)

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I like the fact that the first hit on google for bus time tables goes to a page 404. 

Same if you google the airport unless they have changed it in last few days.  It’s been like it for months.

Genius

Edited by Anthony Ingham

55 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I like the fact that the first hit on google for bus time tables goes to a page 404. 

I believe (but I could be wrong) that there are programs you can run on a website to check for broken links.

Well, actually I am not wrong. I run a cron job links check on a website once every 24 hours.

I suppose one cannot expect too much from a government computer department (that's today's sarcasm quota out of the way).

5 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

Same if you google the airport unless they have changed it in last few days.  It’s been like it for months.

Genius

Google seems to bring up airport.im first for me and that works.  But of course Google's list order will always be a bit behind the times because it uses (among other things) popularity based on past usage and if a new URL is used (as happens when they change timetables) it will take time for that to work its way up the rankings.

Update , after my post in here regarding the bus timetable , or the lack of later times and wrong headings. At the time I didn’t just post here as previously yesterday had emailed Bus Vannin with my concerns. 
Automated reply 

Thank you for taking the time to email us.

We try to be as responsive as possible with your enquiry and will get back to you shortly.

Needless to say I’ve not had a reply to my email. They really are useless and ask for all they get. 
I guess there time to reply doesn’t match my needs to know what time there’s buses from the airport when I need them. Thanks to Rodger Mexico I got the times. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't be too hard for someone to go up there and tape a bin bag over the sign surely??

** Mountain Road Notice **
Due to the weather last night, one of the "ONE WAY" directional sign covers has blown off. We are unable to replace the cover at this time.
The public is reminded that the mountain road remains two-way until the road closes at 9:30am Friday 24th May.
The road will open again at 4:30pm Friday 24th May, from this time, the road will be one-way throughout the TT Festival Period.

All reactions:

• Haha 1

"Recruitment is under way for a new role of director of buses. Salary for the full-time post will be between £77,887 and £96,908 a year."

"Previously, a director of transport services had managerial responsibility for the three areas in the group – bus, rail and shared fleet services."

"Under the shake-up, three service leads will head up each of the three areas."

"A review by consultants Beamans,...  concluded that ‘urgent action’ should be taken to overhaul the entire structure of the DoI. It highlighted ‘fundamental weaknesses’ in a department with a .....  large number of separate, discrete operating units."

So the solution to the problem of a large number of operating units is to create two more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

"Recruitment is under way for a new role of director of buses. Salary for the full-time post will be between £77,887 and £96,908 a year."

"Previously, a director of transport services had managerial responsibility for the three areas in the group – bus, rail and shared fleet services."

"Under the shake-up, three service leads will head up each of the three areas."

"A review by consultants Beamans,...  concluded that ‘urgent action’ should be taken to overhaul the entire structure of the DoI. It highlighted ‘fundamental weaknesses’ in a department with a .....  large number of separate, discrete operating units."

So the solution to the problem of a large number of operating units is to create two more.

One might hope though that we might end up with each unit being headed by people with some qualification and expertise in the relevant fields. 

Unlike previously.