DOI fails again

Two-lane

9 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Then I am astounded that you don’t see how much poorer the place is now than it was in years gone by.

Everyone I know who remembers the park from decades ago feels it’s a much less attractive and well maintained place than it used to be.

I’ve been going since the 1960’s.

I don’t find it less attractive or less well maintained.

What I do find is that it’s adapted to different trends in municipal park gardening.

A few posts above was photo of one of the path side grassed areas. Yes, they used to be manicured, clipped, green from excessive fertiliser and weed killer use. Sterile.

Now it’s a wildflower meadow with a succession of flowers and is full of insects, butterflies, grasshoppers, bees, and no toxic run off going into the lake.

Which do I prefer? The latest iteration as it happens, with the outside gym equipment, some formal beds, some manicured lawns, and the wild areas as well.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Then I am astounded that you don’t see how much poorer the place is now than it was in years gone by.

Everyone I know who remembers the park from decades ago feels it’s a much less attractive and well maintained place than it used to be.

Thanks Rog.

Seems like we will have to agree to disagree.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 7:59 AM, John Wright said:

I’ve been going since the 1960’s.

I don’t find it less attractive or less well maintained.

What I do find is that it’s adapted to different trends in municipal park gardening.

A few posts above was photo of one of the path side grassed areas. Yes, they used to be manicured, clipped, green from excessive fertiliser and weed killer use. Sterile.

Now it’s a wildflower meadow with a succession of flowers and is full of insects, butterflies, grasshoppers, bees, and no toxic run off going into the lake.

Which do I prefer? The latest iteration as it happens, with the outside gym equipment, some formal beds, some manicured lawns, and the wild areas as well.

(. . . and the Kiddies Water Splash Area is great for the little ones.)

i noticed this morning that even though the schools are shut that the 2 i drove past this morning had the 20mph school speed limit signs flashing as if they were open.  don't they switch off when not required ???

Why is the DOI removing its marque from Nobles park, its only six odd weeks till MGP. Is it there are no takers for the corporate investors or no marriges/christenings/barmitzfers, as it costs £10,000 to erect and £10,000 to dismantle (their figures as an excuse to leave  it up) has it ever turned a profit even in tt week or just a perk for our elite and chums with the snout in the trough.

19 minutes ago, WTF said:

i noticed this morning that even though the schools are shut that the 2 i drove past this morning had the 20mph school speed limit signs flashing as if they were open.  don't they switch off when not required ???

Some of the schools have events taking place...throughout the summer.

https://www.kidsontherock.co.uk/whatson/

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Why is the DOI removing its marque from Nobles park, its only six odd weeks till MGP. Is it there are no takers for the corporate investors or no marriges/christenings/barmitzfers, as it costs £10,000 to erect and £10,000 to dismantle (their figures as an excuse to leave  it up) has it ever turned a profit even in tt week or just a perk for our elite and chums with the snout in the trough.

maybe they need it for the southern show ?

9 minutes ago, WTF said:

maybe they need it for the southern show ?

Never used it before, and if they put it back £20,000 up the swanee. Their figures,itwas the excuse for leaving it up all summer in the park. Which gave the brewery the idea to leave their bar in place.

Edited by Dirty Buggane

Do you know how much it costs to open a road!!! Do you want the DoI to spend millions on it???

It's awibbly wobbly road anyway, better to go via Blackberry lane and Vic rd to get to the top!!! 😃

They'll only need to 'plane' the road if they are resurfacing shirley???😄

Edited by Kopek

Speaking of planing, they're now on their third attempt to put a TT-acceptable surface on the apex of May Hill in Ramsey after MG contractors dug it up and then reinstated it with the profile of a farm lane.

ETA correction. It's actually MG's contractors digging up the newly laid road surface again 🤦

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1