MHK's vs Their Values

Weliveinhope

10 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Spot on post as usual. And all the while our own Government is warning the public to shut up, with the threat of police action, like we're the last colonial republic, while the national media is ripping the ass out of us. I want to ask does Cannan endorse his minister of Education issuing threats to the public ? Where did that statement originate ? 

Wow even an old English racist like you has turned on poor old useless Stu. We don't have a mechanism to get rid of him so it really would have helped if thick old people did not have a vote in the first place.

Edited by HiVibes

1 minute ago, HiVibes said:

Wow even an old English racist like you has turned on poor old useless Stu. We don't have a mechanism to get rid of him so would it really would have helped if thick old people did not have a vote.

Wish we could get rid of you on this site. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

And all the while our own Government is warning the public to shut up, with the threat of police action, like we're the last colonial republic, while the national media is ripping the ass out of us. I want to ask does Cannan endorse his minister of Education issuing threats to the public ? Where did that statement originate ? 

The rather oddly-worded threats came from a government press release on Wednesday:

The safeguarding and wellbeing of our children, young people and staff is the DESC's main priority and people are urged to refrain from speculation, whilst the facts are established.

Malicious accusations and comments, which are being received by our staff and shared across social media platforms, are damaging and are having a detrimental impact. The comments will not be tolerated by the Department and such comments will be reported, where appropriate, to the Isle of Man Constabulary.

But while staff should be encouraged to report threats and so on directly to the police, it's not the job of the Department to police social media and decide what is and isn't acceptable.  Consciously or not, it reads like they want to decide what they will allow people to discuss.  It's both dictatorial and unconvincing at the same time.

It's nominally issued by DESC, but whether it comes from them is another matter.  The whole way this has been handled is very much like the way other things have been done under the direction of the Cabinet Office and Cannan (and presumably Randall).  Calling in outsiders to sort the mess out while refusing to communicate with the public (and trying to prevent anyone else doing so) also marked various stages of the Ranson case, the dismissal of Callister and so on. 

Deciding to have an ex-policeman (our friends from Expol again?) and a lawyer to investigate is both counterproductive and damaging (are these the best people to quiz 11-year olds?) and unconvincing to most people.  DESC would presumably have used an educational expert in the field and/or a child psychologist.  But faced with any problem, the current government seems unable to do anything except delay and look like they're hiding stuff - even if there's nothing to hide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, SuperHans said:

That’s quite ironic coming from someone who seems to sell themselves to the highest, in fact any, bidder at every opportunity. 

I learned recently that modern social media leftism is self-hate sublimated the in hate of others, everything they accuse their enemies of is true of themselves.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Josem said:

I learned recently that modern social media leftism is self-hate sublimated the in hate of others, everything they accuse their enemies of is true of themselves.

And todays lecture is sponsored by the good people at Kelproperties (c)

18 hours ago, Josem said:

Modern social media leftism used to be parodied as comedy.  However it has oddly become prescient, with few appreciating the irony (or scared to actually voice it). 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 3:35 PM, Josem said:

I think the current value for a MHK is about £250 - I think that's the last bid I heard for one of them.

What does that make your value with twice failing to be elected against them?

A guy who has just returned from a summit where Boris Johnson was the guest speaker.

You self proclaim yourself as some sort of voice holding the Government to account. The truth is you're just a bitter guy who can't garner the support to get elected because you are pretty unlikeable. You're so false and as you get more bitter your mask of being an all round nice guy is starting to slip. 

On 3/2/2023 at 8:34 PM, A fool and his money..... said:

It's not a technical role and the correlation between intelligence an income is not strong. 

Intelligence does not always translate to being effective.  I can think of plenty of intelligent people who have very limited people skills so struggle to get others to follow them or understand their point.

There are also highly effective people who do get things done but are not intelligent in an academic sense but have skills elsewhere.

• Like 2