Electricity Price Hike

Major Rushen

Manx inflation for Feb 2023 at CPI @ 9% (+1%  on Jan 23) or RPI @10.2% (+1.5% on Jan 23) and that is without electricity hike.

Eggs up 56.2%

Gas up 60.4%

Air Travel -13.1%

Bus/Coach -10.2%

'Housing, water, electricity, gas and other fuels' continues to be the biggest contributor to the rate of
inflation with an increase of 20.2%, with 'Gas' seeing the biggest increase in this category of 60.9%.
'Food and non-alcoholic beverages', has seen the second biggest increase contributing 18.3% to the
overall CPI, with prices rising 5.4% on the previous month. Around three quarters of all subcategories in
'Food and non-alcoholic beverages' exhibit increases higher than the overall rate of inflation, with eggs,
milk, and dairy products all seeing large rises. 'Biscuits and cakes', has seen the single biggest increase in
this category, up 62.2% compared to 12 months ago.
The third biggest contributor to the rate of inflation was 'Restaurants and Hotels' contributing 12.1% to
the overall CPI. 'Catering' has seen the biggest increase in this category (12.5%).

image.png.544a94f2de18e891ddafe70fbbfd1db2.png

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manx-utilities-records-30-million-loss-during-2021-22/

They lost £30m.

The year before they made a £26m profit, although no one talks about that.

Pay up suckers.

Just goes to show they have no intention of ever passing on a reduction in gas prices to the consumer. They shouldn't be making a profit they should reduce the price of the electric to end up cost neutral.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Just goes to show they have no intention of ever passing on a reduction in gas prices to the consumer. They shouldn't be making a profit they should reduce the price of the electric to end up cost neutral.

Is Manx Gas still buying via MUA? So it'll mean Manx Gas customers continue to be penalised too?

How do you expect renewable investment to happen without profits to pay for it?

Edited by NoTailT

8 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I'm sorry to say this isnt right. Gas is still more than double what it cost last time electricity tariffs were altered. How can you pass on a saving you haven't made?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Is Manx Gas still buying via MUA? So it'll mean Manx Gas customers continue to be penalised too?

How do you expect renewable investment to happen without profits to pay for it?

Renewable investment will have to come from government. To say MUA have no money would be a massive understatement.

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Renewable investment will have to come from government. To say MUA have no money would be a massive understatement.

They can take a sharp axe to their culture, benefits and perks. There are savings to be made there, some notable. What is lacking is the political stomach, spine and testicles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm sorry to say this isnt right. Gas is still more than double what it cost last time electricity tariffs were altered. How can you pass on a saving you haven't made?

Are you okay because you're coming across a bit Notwell?

My point was about the £26 million profit that was made off the back of us, their customers. As a state owned entity at the time they were paying less for gas that should have been passed on to us by a reduction in the price we pay for electric.  It wasn't and as far as I can recall it never has been. Instead they profited off us.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They will never save 1/2 a billion quid by making cuts. Never

They can start somewhere, every little helps, as the man said.

If nothing else it would show some willing, except of course it would impact upon themselves and we could never have that. At present they have a Rolls Royce culture with the operational finances of a battered Ford Fiesta, expecting somebody else to continue to pay for the running of that Rolls Royce.

• Thanks 3

10 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

I actually agree with the original proposal, what was wrong was the barely legal way they went about it.

I wouldn't replace the station today, I'd get the interconnectors upgraded and add onshore wind.

I'd also put incentives in place to get solar panels on rooves. I just had this done, VAT free.

Well, if the press reports at the time the power station was built are to be believed it will need to be either replaced or substantially renewed in 2035. Where's the money coming from to do that (whilst we wait for the wind turbines to be procured, built, installed and operating)??

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Are you okay because you're coming across a bit Notwell?

My point was about the £26 million profit that was made off the back of us, their customers. As a state owned entity at the time they were paying less for gas that should have been passed on to us by a reduction in the price we pay for electric.  It wasn't and as far as I can recall it never has been. Instead they profited off us.

The profit was operating profit and if you read the report you will see it was used to pay off some of the bond. It was not net profit. 

43 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Well, if the press reports at the time the power station was built are to be believed it will need to be either replaced or substantially renewed in 2035. Where's the money coming from to do that (whilst we wait for the wind turbines to be procured, built, installed and operating)??

There won't be anymore power stations. 

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

They can start somewhere, every little helps, as the man said.

If nothing else it would show some willing, except of course it would impact upon themselves and we could never have that. At present they have a Rolls Royce culture with the operational finances of a battered Ford Fiesta, expecting somebody else to continue to pay for the running of that Rolls Royce.

Yes I don't disagree with that. All organisations should be efficient. I don't know enough about them to comment but it seems to be a compelling arguement.

What I was saying though is that it's not going to turn things around for them and us. It isn't going to make electricity much cheaper  But yes, it would help to some extent.

2 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

They'll be lumping that £26m into their legacy debt payments. They have several hundred million to to.