Electricity Price Hike

Major Rushen

Dr Alex stated in the PAC meeting that if they can't increase revenue they will need to prioritise capital projects.  Shouldn't that be the first thing that happens?  Stop capital spend on unnecessary schemes like the railway bridges and the promenade sculptures.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Funny. I thought it was so we could buy gas and have electricity. 

Every Dept and Statutory Body is now being used as a cash cow to raise revenue, more than ever before. Major rises from the Steam Packet and the Post Office (both milked anew at the Budget), DOI (raising "road tax" even though the roads are so good that they're getting a budget cut from Treasury), the whole show is now about clawing revenue to keep the monster and its liabilities fed. MUA is somewhat different because of its liabilities but it's being addressed in the same way.

The burden of direct and indirect taxation can surely never have been higher for the people of the Island and there must be a limit to how far it can be pushed.

• Like 5

Picked this up on Twitter. I think it relates to what @Bazza Smurftalks about in his interview with Paul Moulton. 

Tim Johnston MHK basically told Keys that the current price of 22p per kWh could be sustained if the wholesale price of gas was 150p per therm (or less). It's now 117p per therm. 

We deserve some honesty from Club Tynwald and the MUA. If we have to pay 34p per kWh because they fucked up then that's that. But they should be honest with their reasons and stop hiding behind Russia/Ukraine.

Screenshot_20230315-215227_OneDrive.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Painful to watch. If only we had a journalist who could construct an interview to address a point at a time and a studio where the partiticpants could be on screen at the same time having a discussion rather than cutting back and forth to talking heads. 

Between 2021 to 2023 the wholesale gas rises by 9.2p per kWh and MUA increases by 14.3p per kWh. So 64% of the rise is gas related, the other 5.1p (36%) is for paying off debts?

image.png.36095684d3b9f344aa183bdecd0818c5.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Picked this up on Twitter. I think it relates to what @Bazza Smurftalks about in his interview with Paul Moulton. 

Tim Johnston MHK basically told Keys that the current price of 22p per kWh could be sustained if the wholesale price of gas was 150p per therm (or less). It's now 117p per therm. 

We deserve some honesty from Club Tynwald and the MUA. If we have to pay 34p per kWh because they fucked up then that's that. But they should be honest with their reasons and stop hiding behind Russia/Ukraine.

Screenshot_20230315-215227_OneDrive.jpg

It is. I mentioned it with Paul M in that interview and in the interview with Manx Radio last week also. More importantly however I'm trying to explain my fear that we only have a start date for new tariffs. There's literally nothing else to see, read or understand. All we have is hope that eventually the tariffs will come down. It's my belief that unless I take a few merry men and women onto the streets again, there will never be an improvement. 

10 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Painful to watch. If only we had a journalist who could construct an interview to address a point at a time and a studio where the partiticpants could be on screen at the same time having a discussion rather than cutting back and forth to talking heads. 

Between 2021 to 2023 the wholesale gas rises by 9.2p per kWh and MUA increases by 14.3p per kWh. So 64% of the rise is gas related, the other 5.1p (36%) is for paying off debts?

image.png.36095684d3b9f344aa183bdecd0818c5.png

I'm sorry you found it a tough watch. I'm just a member of the public trying to highlight an issue. I have no experience or training in interviews etc and of course PM is self funding. 

9 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Every Dept and Statutory Body is now being used as a cash cow to raise revenue, more than ever before. Major rises from the Steam Packet and the Post Office (both milked anew at the Budget), DOI (raising "road tax" even though the roads are so good that they're getting a budget cut from Treasury), the whole show is now about clawing revenue to keep the monster and its liabilities fed. MUA is somewhat different because of its liabilities but it's being addressed in the same way.

The burden of direct and indirect taxation can surely never have been higher for the people of the Island and there must be a limit to how far it can be pushed.

IOMG scorpion and the GMP frog...

Trapped togehter on an island with raging flood water rising, the IOMG scorpion who can't swim says "Trust me I won't sting you if you take me to the other side"

GMP frog "Hmm, I don't know. You do have a reputation for killing frogs"

IOMG scorpion "I can't do it on my own if you don't help me I'll drown"

GMP frog "Okay, but remember your promise!. No stinging or we'll both die"

Midway across the IOMG scorpion stings the struggling GMP frog

Dying GMP frog "But why did you sting me? Now we'll both die"

IOMG scorpion "I'm a scorpion, what did you expect?"

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

I'm sorry you found it a tough watch. I'm just a member of the public trying to highlight an issue. I have no experience or training in interviews etc and of course PM is self funding. 

My apologies, you are braver than me by far so I shouldn't criticize as I have no experience in broadcasting. We all have to start somewhere and maybe a bit of rehearsal to steady the nerves and familiarise PM with the main points will help in future.

Whole heartedly support and respect what you are doing and I want you to do well for all our sakes. Part of my frustration at our so called public servants slipped out.   

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

My apologies, you are braver than me by far so I shouldn't criticize as I have no experience in broadcasting. We all have to start somewhere and maybe a bit of rehearsal to steady the nerves and familiarise PM with the main points will help in future.

Whole heartedly support and respect what you are doing and I want you to do well for all our sakes. Part of my frustration at our so called public servants slipped out.   

All good and thank you. 🙏

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bazza Smurf said:

It's my belief that unless I take a few merry men and women onto the streets again, there will never be an improvement. 

I'm up for some merriment. Let us know the details if/when you get something organised - I'll be there with bells on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1