Electricity Price Hike

Major Rushen

15 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Wasn't a subsidiary company created to take out the loan as it wasn't a statuary body / MEA?

7 minutes ago, P.K. said:

It wasn't created it was already in existence.

No, it wasn’t specifically set up to circumvent Treasury approval, but the loan was taken out by it to circumvent them. It’s a bit chicken & egg. The regulations were circumvented.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Errrr the issue may not have been about financial regulations per se, although Mr Proffitt was clearly in a difficult position around having a possible vested interest, but rather it was about accountability.

As an ex-pm how there was no project reporting up the food chain is just beyond belief.

That's of course very true. It was a scandal there is no doubt. I was merely clarifying how I understood what happened. I wasn't excusing it. If it happened now then Profitt would be committing an offence at worst and gross misconduct at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

That's of course very true. It was a scandal there is no doubt. I was merely clarifying how I understood what happened. I wasn't excusing it. If it happened now then Profitt would be committing an offence at worst and gross misconduct at best. 

His involvement, particularly with Barclays was very questionable to say the least !

• Like 1

It shouldn't be forgotten that no small part of blame was apportioned to Treasury itself for being asleep and not cognisant of what was going on; probably because its head of the time was more interested in convincing himself that he was some sort sort of global influencer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/20/2023 at 8:04 AM, Banker said:

Gas futures now below 100p per therm plus oil prices tumbling so energy costs should come down in a few months hopefully 

They used to be nearer 50p a therm not so long ago. But yes its better than going up. Still a long way to go. Looks to have levelled a bit to me

Sum23 gas prices 13.03.23

On 3/20/2023 at 8:04 AM, Banker said:

Gas futures now below 100p per therm plus oil prices tumbling so energy costs should come down in a few months hopefully 

Mmm, Manx Energy reducing prices? who are they competing with?
What's the roadmap for transitioning away from fossil, in terms of action, not waffle?

I guess we're both optimistic 😄

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-65026300

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I suspect Banker was right when he wondered if they had forward bought a big amount when prices were sky high.

Sounds like it.  Dr Alex was keen to stress before the pac that the price is to pay off debts and won't be coming down inline with the fall in gas price.  No time window provided for the eventual decrease 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, cissolt said:

Sounds like it.  Dr Alex was keen to stress before the pac that the price is to pay off debts and won't be coming down inline with the fall in gas price.  No time window provided for the eventual decrease 

The price has always been about paying off the debts. It's basic accounting. You have to pay back the capital cost of an asset as well as the cost of operating it. How else could it work? 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The price has always been about paying off the debts.

And once again no one is held accountable and we wonder why stuff like this keeps happening !

What the Isle of Man taxpayers and residents can't afford is our Government !

• Like 3