Electricity Price Hike

Major Rushen

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

It's exactly the same principle, Troll. Your eternal defence of all things Govt conduct must pay well on the Govt payroll, does it?

This Govt has and will continue to bleed the taxpayers dry rather than ever admitting to failure, incompetence or wrong doing, even the recent past is littered with examples.

Normal hardworking people and businesses alike are being shafted here, when those businesses are folding and when people are losing their jobs because of this, Govt will continue to wring its hands and say, "We can't save/help everybody". Whilst continuing it's own survival, culture and growth strategy of course.

I have posted this question before. Rather than putting the economy on the line with this, why not settle the debts out of the "billions in reserves"? 

How is stating facts trolling? 

You didnt answer my question. You need to be careful what you say.

I dont work for goverment.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How is stating facts trolling? 

You didnt answer my question. You need to be careful what you say.

Why? This is a public discussion forum where people can express beliefs and opinions. Are you going to report me to your Govt. superiors?

"Facts" like the tram didn't run away? "Facts" like a Terminal will only cost £3M? "Facts" like Dr Ranson's treatment? 

Your Govt "Facts" are largely fabricated to suit the Govt narrative.

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Why? This is a public discussion forum where people can express beliefs and opinions. Are you going to report me to your Govt. superiors?

"Facts" like the tram didn't run away? "Facts" like a Terminal will only cost £3M? "Facts" like Dr Ranson's treatment? 

Your Govt "Facts" are largely fabricated to suit the Govt narrative.

No my facts are from the MUA statement of accounts. You are quoting opinion which is not born of fact.

I have opinion on government and MUA and my opinions are ceretainly not favourable. I am not defending them in any way. I do not believe for one minute though that there is a fraud going on. It's just not even possible. What would be the point?

14 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

No my facts are from the MUA statement of accounts. You are quoting opinion which is not born of fact.

I have opinion on government and MUA and my opinions are ceretainly not favourable. I am not defending them in any way. I do not believe for one minute though that there is a fraud going on. It's just not even possible. What would be the point?

Being economical with the truth might a better description?

Some interesting responses from Dr Alex to Barry Murphy on Facebook.  They won't say when the price will be reviewed again, and are still trying to hide the reason for the huge increases. 

They have to pay the £50 million debt they have somehow been allowed to create, whilst using any excess to fund green initiatives.

With people scared to turn on the heating in winter, now they will be scared to use electric.

Having people scared to use utilities due to mismanagement and climate targets is 100% unacceptable.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Some interesting responses from Dr Alex to Barry Murphy on Facebook.  They won't say when the price will be reviewed again, and are still trying to hide the reason for the huge increases. 

They have to pay the £50 million debt they have somehow been allowed to create, whilst using any excess to fund green initiatives.

With people scared to turn on the heating in winter, now they will be scared to use electric.

Having people scared to use utilities due to mismanagement and climate targets is 100% unacceptable.

But electricity prices here are still less than Uk & will only reach Uk prices in July so why do you think prices should be subsidized more here & how would you fund it?

Theres lots of people on here & iom generally calling for subsidies for various reasons eg hospitality, electricity, gas, transport, boats etc but they never say how it will be funded eg increased taxes 

1 minute ago, Banker said:

But electricity prices here are still less than Uk & will only reach Uk prices in July so why do you think prices should be subsidized more here & how would you fund it?

Theres lots of people on here & iom generally calling for subsidies for various reasons eg hospitality, electricity, gas, transport, boats etc but they never say how it will be funded eg increased taxes 

We are paying for the mistakes made by the mea and comin. 

I don't think prices should be subsidized, once the debt has been paid the prices should be returned to normal levels.   We shouldn't use the Ukraine war as an excuse to inflate prices to fund future vanity projects like windmills that will benefit a tiny minority.

Who is paying for the smart meters?  Was it 20 million for that project? With no cost to the customer or tax payer according to DrA!  

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, cissolt said:

We are paying for the mistakes made by the mea and comin. 

I don't think prices should be subsidized, once the debt has been paid the prices should be returned to normal levels.   We shouldn't use the Ukraine war as an excuse to inflate prices to fund future vanity projects like windmills that will benefit a tiny minority.

Who is paying for the smart meters?  Was it 20 million for that project? With no cost to the customer or tax payer according to DrA!  

But who else would pay for those mistakes or the smart meters, or anything else MUA pays?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

why do you think prices should be subsidized more here & how would you fund it?

If the prices to MU has gone up considerably then I’d suck up the increases. The price hasn’t. I’m being asked to pay for their appalling business practices. 

If government could afford to offer 25 million to them and that offer was not taken up, then they can afford to pay 50 million to clear their debts. I should not be paying for it. It’s a government business ffs and they totally fucked up.

Reserves. That’s what it’s there for. 

• Thanks 5

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

If the prices to MU has gone up considerably then I’d suck up the increases. The price hasn’t. I’m being asked to pay for their appalling business practices. 

If government could afford to offer 25 million to them and that offer was not taken up, then they can afford to pay 50 million to clear their debts. I should not be paying for it. It’s a government business ffs and they totally fucked up.

Reserves. That’s what it’s there for. 

MUA debts are detailed further back in thread but they’re several hundred £m so £50m is drop in ocean, c£350m of reserves are being used to fund services & revenue shortfall for next few years, there’s a limit to subsidies , taxes need to go up

42 minutes ago, cissolt said:

They have to pay the £50 million debt

And the rest....

If Govt/MUA don't do something this is going to impact business and employment across the Island, let alone domestic customers. We already have X number of closures citing energy costs as part of their reasoning. It's certainly not going to make the place attractive to new businesses either.

Logic would say get some or all of it paid off from the reserves, one gets the impression that either those reserves are earmarked for something else or don't exist.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 2