Electricity Price Hike

Major Rushen

55 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Some interesting responses from Dr Alex to Barry Murphy on Facebook.  They won't say when the price will be reviewed again, and are still trying to hide the reason for the huge increases. 

They have to pay the £50 million debt they have somehow been allowed to create, whilst using any excess to fund green initiatives.

With people scared to turn on the heating in winter, now they will be scared to use electric.

Having people scared to use utilities due to mismanagement and climate targets is 100% unacceptable.

The are not paying £50M debt, they are loosing £50M this year due to the gas price increase. That will mean an extra £50M of debt on top of the existing massive debt. It also means they wil have no cash to buy gas and other things. Yes, there are reasons perhaps for this being more than it should be (mistakes from the past and currently) but even without these its not sustainable to try and run a business at a loss. Any business. It was right to put up the cost of electricity, just like everywhere else in the world seems to have realised. IMO it was too too late not too early. If a modest increase had been applied earlier its possible that the recent rise cold have been smaller maybe.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The are not paying £50M debt, they are loosing £50M this year due to the gas price increase. That will mean an extra £50M of debt on top of the existing massive debt. It also means they wil have no cash to buy gas and other things. Yes, there are reasons perhaps for this being more than it should be (mistakes from the past and currently) but even without these its not sustainable to try and run a business at a loss. Any business. It was right to put up the cost of electricity, just like everywhere else in the world seems to have realised. IMO it was too too late not too early. If a modest increase had been applied earlier its possible that the recent rise cold have been smaller maybe.

As previously stated, Alex allanson stated in the committee meeting that the increase was to service the debt built up in 2021-2022.  Is he lying or perhaps you are wrong?

You can listen to the hearing and hear it directly from the treasury minister so I don't need to keep repeating it.

Once the debt has been paid they will continue charging the insane prices to fund wind turbines and solar panels for government buildings.  Again, nothing to do with Ukraine.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My own fear is that regardless of a falling (or "normalisation") of gas prices or even clearing of some of the debt, these reductions will not be passed on to the consumer (and if my memory serves me, it's already been stated to that effect?).

MUA is too wedded to its creature comforts, I don't believe for one minute their recent statement that, "Every option for savings has been explored". Every option bar those that might impact them adversely is what they mean.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

My own fear is that regardless of a falling (or "normalisation") of gas prices or even clearing of some of the debt, these reductions will not be passed on to the consumer (and if my memory serves me, it's already been stated to that effect?).

MUA is too wedded to its creature comforts, I don't believe for one minute their recent statement that, "Every option for savings has been explored". Every option bar those that might impact them adversely is what they mean.

I agree this is a very relevant point, what savings are being mage eg the meter readers won’t be needed when smart meters rolled out but no plans to reduce head count, why. Massive management & administrations structure with huge costs, what plans to reduce? Why are MUA following government in pay rises eg 6% rises when making losses, IOM Post office awarded much less because of finances.

Huge fleet of vehicles, are they all needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

I agree this is a very relevant point, what savings are being mage eg the meter readers won’t be needed when smart meters rolled out but no plans to reduce head count, why. Massive management & administrations structure with huge costs, what plans to reduce? Why are MUA following government in pay rises eg 6% rises when making losses, IOM Post office awarded much less because of finances.

Are MUA payscales public like central Govt? Couldn't see them online

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

We are paying for the mistakes made by the mea and comin. 

In a fair world, Mike Proffit, and everyone else who was responsible for the unauthorised MEA loan should be the ones paying it back. Not Manx residents whose representatives in government never signed off on it. 

I bet Proffit never had to choose between eating or heating this past winter or any winter before or after. And now he's hoping to get more money from us via his green energy initiative (scam). It's alright for some I guess.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cissolt said:

As previously stated, Alex allanson stated in the committee meeting that the increase was to service the debt built up in 2021-2022.  Is he lying or perhaps you are wrong?

You can listen to the hearing and hear it directly from the treasury minister so I don't need to keep repeating it.

Once the debt has been paid they will continue charging the insane prices to fund wind turbines and solar panels for government buildings.  Again, nothing to do with Ukraine.

Just because he said it doesn't mean it is so. What's his qualifications again?

4 hours ago, Banker said:

If you look at the annual report the amount they spend on vehicles is a lot. But in comparison with their turnover and their debt, it is fairly insignificant.

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

If you look at the annual report the amount they spend on vehicles is a lot. But in comparison with their turnover and their debt, it is fairly insignificant.

So the basic thinking behind that would be that because the debt is so large it's a waste of time them engaging in any housekeeping that might mean savings of any sort?

For a start, they can get rid of any of their generous bonus or incentive payments, their basic salaries/wages are more than adequate.

Then they can get rid of any vanity vehicles/4wds that are not absolutely essential to operations.

The practice of taking works vehicles home as personal transport (with attendant fuel costs) can cease for all except on-call duty personnel.

The two characters who refuse to work together as a team meaning that they have to be supplied with a van and equipment each can either have their heads banged together to sort differences or one or the other sacked and replaced with more compatible.

That's just for starters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That's just for starters

Blimey. What's for mains?

I don't and can't dispute any of those things. I agree that, yes, they should be doing the right things. All I was saying was that it wasn't going to change the situation significantly. But yes you are correct that its not a waste of time them engaging in any housekeeping that might mean savings of any sort

the smart  meters I cant understand ,possibly in the future when things have improved, but it looks like nearly £20 million of dead money , perhaps someone with a better understanding of the MUA can explain why t this moment of time the were considered essential , the expensive vehicles too I have at least 3 parked near where I live some don't move for days on end ,no privately    run   business could operate like this , 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1