Electricity Price Hike

Major Rushen

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I hadn’t looked at the relative unit price for ages. It was more or less the same at one point, even post Proffit.

What's the major generation source in your locality John, fossil, wind, hydro or nuclear?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

45 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

What's the major generation source in your locality John, fossil, wind, hydro or nuclear?

Supply infrastructure is Endesa, which used to be the nationalised generator and grid company.

since liberalisation there are about 40 suppliers, national and regional.

my bill gives a break down of the sources supplied by Naturgy ( my supplier ) and Spanish national figures.

IMG_5939.jpeg

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Supply infrastructure is Endesa, which used to be the nationalised generator and grid company.

since liberalisation there are about 40 suppliers, national and regional.

my bill gives a break down of the sources supplied by Naturgy ( my supplier ) and Spanish national figures.

IMG_5939.jpeg

Cheaper price will be mainly down to good old economies of scale and a bit of competition at a guess.

9 minutes ago, Tinpot said:

Cheaper price will be mainly down to good old economies of scale and a bit of competition at a guess.

At the height of the energy price surge immediately post Ukraine invasion it was more expensive in Spain than IoM, because IoMG absorbed the price rise for a year. The price has collapsed very quickly since.

Yes, of course its economy of scale and competition, to ann extent, but it’s also down to high infrastructure cost, including Proffit, on island, that skews our price.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Gas use an increasing contributor as well though?

Screenshot_20241010-114722_Google.jpg

My figures are taken from my bill, and are the official monthly figures for Spain for September. The figures vary monthly. Renewables includes hydro, geothermal as well as wind and solar. Solar is about 30% in summer, nuclear about 20% year round, wind around 20%, geo and hydro are small contributors, but spring in the Pyrenees sees a hydro uptick.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I received my IoM and Spanish electricity bills today.

per unit cost

IoM £0.28 or €0.336

Spain £0.12 or €0.145

I've been with Naturgy for 2 years fixed deal, and I can now swap to another supplier or sign up for another fix.

I’ve signed up with !Si,Compare. 

sounds like you need 1500 mile long extension lead then ??

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Each monthly bill I get from Spain has the national breakdown of generation and for the supplies bought in and sold on by Naturgy. It’s a statutory requirement.

Your table and mine say Nuclear 20%. Not 45%.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Each monthly bill I get from Spain has the national breakdown of generation and for the supplies bought in and sold on by Naturgy. It’s a statutory requirement.

Naturgy's core business in Spain is gas, so perhaps they purchase more from carbon based suppliers than other energy suppliers?

3 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

Naturgy's core business in Spain is gas, so perhaps they purchase more from carbon based suppliers than other energy suppliers?

Look at the table I posted above. Naturgy supplies electricity generated by gas at half the Spanish national average.

9.2% against 18.3%.