Electricity Price Hike

Major Rushen

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Not quite. If the bill charge per kWh was the same as domestic, maybe there’d be impetus to control thermostats and not use windows to regulate temperature.

One of my biggest annoyances as an employer was staff turning the heat up full and then opening the windows.

I get that, but the charge per kWh is not going to stop a care assistant on a ward opening a window.

The impetus to control the heating should come from public service frugality (regardless of the price, if a saving can be made, it should) and environmental responsibility.  

I know, I laughed as I typed it!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I get that, but the charge per kWh is not going to stop a care assistant on a ward opening a window.

The impetus to control the heating should come from public service frugality (regardless of the price, if a saving can be made, it should) and environmental responsibility.  

I know, I laughed as I typed it!

Thanks to your final sentence, I can’t tell if your other comments were serious or satirical, Gladys!

If Nobles is full of vulnerable and elderly sick people in their PJs, inevitably the ward temperature will need to be higher than a typical home.   If a care assistant opens a window, it’s as likely to be for ventilation/moving dead air as temperature regulation.

How low do you think the ward temperature should be?   Or have I misread your intention completely?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Thanks to your final sentence, I can’t tell if your other comments were serious or satirical, Gladys!

If Nobles is full of vulnerable and elderly sick people in their PJs, inevitably the ward temperature will need to be higher than a typical home.   If a care assistant opens a window, it’s as likely to be for ventilation/moving dead air as temperature regulation.

How low do you think the ward temperature should be?   Or have I misread your intention completely?

To be honest, I wasn't thinking of wards in particular, it was a quick example, poorly thought through, I grant you.  Of course poorly people need to be kept warm.  But my comment is re the general approach to heating in government buildings. 

• Like 1

all this green bullshittyness is putting us at such a huge commercial disadvantage with china as they don't give a fuck about what pollution they create so they can have the cheapest energy going to run their industry.

• Like 5

Scenario 1) Imagine going for lunch to the Ritz and being told not to worry about the bill. You eat and drink to your hearts content and your mate picks up the bill. 12 months later your mate says he wants his money back. 

Scenario 1 (rewritten) 12 months ago we were told that we should not worry about using electricity as the price would be capped. We were not made fully aware of the implications as to what would happen once that cap was lifted. Now however we have a situation where 💩loads of electricity has been sold at a financial loss and huge debt has amounted. 

No matter what happens with the wholesale price of gas, we as consumers will be picking up the tab for a very long time. I described the situation in an interview at Manx Radio as a political regulatory failure and I won't be changing my mind on that ever! 

Major changes are needed immediately including attention to cheaper electricity for special customers at certain times. The time for mates rates has passed! The matter needs full attention at Tynwald immediately including plans to regulate the MUA under CURA sooner rather than later. 

The idea that this rise of the unit price PLUS standing charges is anything to do with current wholesale prices is poppycock!.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Bazza Smurf said:

Scenario 1) Imagine going for lunch to the Ritz and being told not to worry about the bill. You eat and drink to your hearts content and your mate picks up the bill. 12 months later your mate says he wants his money back. 

Scenario 1 (rewritten) 12 months ago we were told that we should not worry about using electricity as the price would be capped. We were not made fully aware of the implications as to what would happen once that cap was lifted. Now however we have a situation where 💩loads of electricity has been sold at a financial loss and huge debt has amounted. 

No matter what happens with the wholesale price of gas, we as consumers will be picking up the tab for a very long time. I described the situation in an interview at Manx Radio as a political regulatory failure and I won't be changing my mind on that ever! 

Major changes are needed immediately including attention to cheaper electricity for special customers at certain times. The time for mates rates has passed! The matter needs full attention at Tynwald immediately including plans to regulate the MUA under CURA sooner rather than later. 

The idea that this rise of the unit price PLUS standing charges is anything to do with current wholesale prices is poppycock!.

Whats your solution then? Where is the money going to come from?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Whats your solution then? Where is the money going to come from?

It's a great question. It's very difficult to regulate the MUA efficiently now because of the debt. I mean imagine a scenario when CURA took over regulation of Manx Gas, whereby there could be no reduction in prices even if there was a wholesale price reduction. In the private sector what has happened simply wouldn't have happened or the company would have gone into liquidation. 

That scenario however does not answer your question. The annual report for the MUA is not released yet to my knowledge so it's currently unclear how much debt the tax payer is laden with although in my dreams I think it's a few hundred million at least. Please tell me I'm wrong but I think I heard somewhere the debt is half a billion? Is it?? 

On an island of 85,000 people including children I'm not sure there is any other answer apart from sacking off the comfy tariff, electric charging and high user rates to at least lube the rest of us. Then unfortunately we must bend over until debt is paid. 

Can the Government afford to write off half of the debt and we then pay the rest through our highly inflated bills? I don't know. The problem right now I feel if nothing at all is done, there won't be many businesses left let alone leccie bills getting paid. PS I am only a taxi driver and was not very well educated so I'm likely very wrong in my answer of sorts. 

• Like 1