Electricity Price Hike

Major Rushen

12 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Presumably the -9p is what they're paying people with solar panels etc. to export to the grid. Hell of a mark up, buying at 9p selling at 28p, considering the standing charges should be paying for the network.

Lots of senior management to pay for, and lots of new EV charge points that need paid for by the tax payer also.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Depending on which bulbs you’re replacing, LED bulbs can pay for themselves within a month or so. 

A regular 60w bulb used 5 hours a day would cost you £2.52 at the new prices a month  An LED one would cost you about 12p. 

It may be a modest saving, but, sometimes every penny helps. Especially if you’re in a house of a few people in different rooms. Or you have light fixtures with multiple old style bulbs. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, asitis said:

How everyone walked away from the MEA shambles unscathed is beyond me ! I guess it's the old island adage, no one is ever accountable.

The Isle of Man - Where you Can. Particularly where there are political careers to be protected too.

And let's not forget, they're busy building another one in Liverpool, albeit not quite to the same scale (yet) 😂

• Like 2

I see parallels in the MEA unauthorised loans / cost overrun  behaviours, and the Liverpool Terminal. Both have taken the taxpayers down a road where Tynwald have been unable to deal with a catch 22 situation,  and therefore future generations are paying for gross incompetence of the past. I maybe can see that in both cases the alternatives have been stark, but what sticks in my craw is no one is ever accountable for placing Tynwald in the situation it finds itself.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, asitis said:

I see parallels in the MEA unauthorised loans / cost overrun  behaviours, and the Liverpool Terminal. Both have taken the taxpayers down a road where Tynwald have been unable to deal with a catch 22 situation,  and therefore future generations are paying for gross incompetence of the past. I maybe can see that in both cases the alternatives have been stark, but what sticks in my craw is no one is ever accountable for placing Tynwald in the situation it finds itself.

In some ways the ferry terminal is worse

The MEA loan was a deception and because of weak procedures it slipped through the net. Government were party to blame. The ferry fiasco is the governments own project. They signed the contract. They are wholly accountable.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Manxman1234 said:

Lots of senior management to pay for, and lots of new EV charge points that need paid for by the tax payer also.

They won’t touch these roles, if anything the civil service and the head count at the MUA will increase. This is happening throughout IOMG. 

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

In some ways the ferry terminal is worse

The MEA loan was a deception and because of weak procedures it slipped through the net. Government were party to blame. The ferry fiasco is the governments own project. They signed the contract. They are wholly accountable.

Unfortunately though, in an ideal world those held responsible should be surcharged. Perhaps we could get the coroner in to seize property, like vehicles, houses and personal chattels then sell them at auction with the proceeds being used to offset against debt. Sadly it will never happen and those making costly financial mistakes are rewarded.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, asitis said:

We'll end up bankrupt and frozen, but by hell we'll be green alright yessir !

After the initial decomp and decay our CO2, NO and methane emissions will taper off, no more particulates, no more emat eating or light pollution. Ironically the bugs will be feeing the bugs and not vice versa. Earth will be saved.

Meantime everyone, but the elite, have to suffer the self-flagellation of a forced transition through incompetent ideologs. 

For example, has anyone heard anything about Manx Gas fixing the billing fiasco? Or anything our so called TSO has actually done? They really don't care if they can't get it done in weeks and not months. Probably hope now the tarrif is falling and bills get smaller that it'll be forgotten.   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Unfortunately though, in an ideal world those held responsible should be surcharged. Perhaps we could get the coroner in to seize property, like vehicles, houses and personal chattels then sell them at auction with the proceeds being used to offset against debt. Sadly it will never happen and those making costly financial mistakes are rewarded.

At the very least there ought to be a PAC investigation to find out why a bespoke boat was designed without first checking the suitability of the berths and why the new terminal (and Douglas upgrade) didn't account for it either? 

Very remisicent of the time that they couldn't get the prisoner transfer van into the courthouse car park because the height used in the design had been measured from the side of the roof and not the domed apex. So they ended up excavating the bottom of the ramp and moving below ground services to accomadate it. Instead of buying another new van. Just at a larger and more painful scale.

As usual 'lessons will be learned' and yet it never seems to end does it? Isn't it still the same person in charge of the PMU? Coincidence?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I don't think incompetence is illegal. Therefore you could not do this.

24 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

At the very least there ought to be a PAC investigation to find out why a bespoke boat was designed without first checking the suitability of the berths and why the new terminal (and Douglas upgrade) didn't account for it either? 

Very remisicent of the time that they couldn't get the prisoner transfer van into the courthouse car park because the height used in the design had been measured from the side of the roof and not the domed apex. So they ended up excavating the bottom of the ramp and moving below ground services to accomadate it. Instead of buying another new van. Just at a larger and more painful scale.

As usual 'lessons will be learned' and yet it never seems to end does it? Isn't it still the same person in charge of the PMU? Coincidence?

I believe they always knew they would have to alter the berth at Douglas if the boat was longer

4 hours ago, 2112 said:

They won’t touch these roles, if anything the civil service and the head count at the MUA will increase. This is happening throughout IOMG. 

Tim Crookall MHK new chairman of Manx Utilities. I wonder how much power/influence the chairman has.