Road Maintenance Budget

0bserver

So we've had the budget and Ministers took delight in saying how good the roads are so they can cut the amount of money being spent on maintenance. 

Now when you see the raft of work the ACU have demanded of the DOI (and the Great Manx Taxpayer), just how much money is left in the budgetary pot for maintenance on non-TT roads? 

They even say in their Facebook post that the work at Sulby isn't an issue for normal road conditions and is purely for racing. 

That's a massive misuse of the road maintenance budget. The FOI replies will be interesting for this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

So we've had the budget and Ministers took delight in saying how good the roads are so they can cut the amount of money being spent on maintenance. 

Now when you see the raft of work the ACU have demanded of the DOI (and the Great Manx Taxpayer), just how much money is left in the budgetary pot for maintenance on non-TT roads? 

They even say in their Facebook post that the work at Sulby isn't an issue for normal road conditions and is purely for racing. 

That's a massive misuse of the road maintenance budget. The FOI replies will be interesting for this. 

There’s a thread Highways and Byeways on the go. Surprised Fleapot hasn’t reprimanded you for starting another thread on a similar topic…

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Perhaps loosely related to the size of kid's school meals being cut because "they contain too many calories"?

There could be a pattern here...

I am ambivalent towards the TT, but christ the state of many roads that aren't part of the course is dreadful. I am sure we could all list a litany of roads which knock seven bells out of your car, so to say the road system is good means, the TT roads are good but many others are like a 4 x 4 training area !

Bottom line is we can't afford the TT works and the rest for you plebs !

Amazing how hundreds of trees suddenly have to be removed just before TT.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Perhaps loosely related to the size of kid's school meals being cut because "they contain too many calories"?

There could be a pattern here...

There are a lot of fat kids about.... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, asitis said:

I am ambivalent towards the TT, but christ the state of many roads that aren't part of the course is dreadful. I am sure we could all list a litany of roads which knock seven bells out of your car, so to say the road system is good means, the TT roads are good but many others are like a 4 x 4 training area !

They either need to move the TT to a new course each year so other roads get some loving or give the existing course the standard Manx neglect and market TT as the "New TT:  Same as the old TT but with the bumps and potholes intact."  Should put a bit  of tension in the rider's lives.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Wake Up Call said:

Relieved to see that Ago's Leap isn't on the list of works. It's perfectly safe of course. 

shhh. Nothing to see here, move along. Probably pencilled in for next year under "general road improvements to upper douglas" and will be wholly unconnected to any recent events.

7 hours ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

There will be a 60% increase in the price of air across the Island due to tree removal.

Fortunately 60% of nothing is still nothing. But they'll no doubt come up with a clean air act and force everyone off wood burning stoves and coals fires and onto the ever so competent and efficient state protected gas monopoly or state run electricity monoply. For the greater good of course.

See the UK were firing up dirty old coal fired power stations 'just in case' as the windymills weren't up to it and apparently it's the French's fault for not selling them enough electricity becasue they had strikes and maintenance going on. 

11 hours ago, asitis said:

What strikes me as curious if these trees are so dangerous, how come they've waited until the end of winter and the worst storms to do anything about it?

Were they hoping they'd take care of themselves? Going to be a long comute for some with Mountain Course shut and speed limits from Sulby, and now diversions to Peel by the sounds of it. 

Do the land owners have any responsibility? Also why plant any trees in areas where they will only cause problems in future? Why not donate the same saplings to one of the 'peoples woods' or sort out the eyesore up by Nobles?  

5 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

What strikes me as curious if these trees are so dangerous, how come they've waited until the end of winter and the worst storms to do anything about it?

Were they hoping they'd take care of themselves? Going to be a long comute for some with Mountain Course shut and speed limits from Sulby, and now diversions to Peel by the sounds of it. 

Do the land owners have any responsibility? Also why plant any trees in areas where they will only cause problems in future? Why not donate the same saplings to one of the 'peoples woods' or sort out the eyesore up by Nobles?  

The Ash dieback epidemic is really bad, I don't think most people have any idea of how bad, and how much its going to change the landscape over the next decade or so not just here but all across Europe. There is no good solution.

• Like 4