The Great Snow of 2023

0bserver

On a serious note, 1000's of families made last minute arrangements to find childcare. There is every chance that kids will have been more at risk due to being left unattended as parents fit in work.

Countless number of private sector workers will be out of pocket for many different reasons.

This is a complete f*ck up by a collection of power mad half wits who do not have a clue what they are doing.

So many costs as a result of today's shambles.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

Has anyone looked at the BBC News website which is supplied data from forcasters that have super computers?

There is a bit of a difference - the UK Met Office has got a Cray; the IoM Met Office has got a Sinclair Spectrum. Also think about the electricity costs of running something like that - maybe they can't afford to run the Sinclair flat-out all day.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

There is a bit of a difference - the UK Met Office has got a Cray; the IoM Met Office has got a Sinclair Spectrum. Also think about the electricity costs of running something like that - maybe they can't afford to run the Sinclair flat-out all day.

image.thumb.png.1e51ff168c719f1709d0b0acb911b9fb.png

Um, looking back to past media coverage, the IOM Met Office gets its data from weather services in the UK. I note the UK Met Office is currently showing a mix of snow and sleet for Douglas in its forecast.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcsu1fnc5#?nearestTo=Douglas (Isle of Man)&date=2023-03-09

Edited by The Bastard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Banker said:

Postie managed to battle through the snow drifts to deliver mail this morning!!

I got my post too and I’ll be out clapping in my garden at 8:00PM tonight in appreciation of all the key workers who have struggled to maintain services in the adverse face of a bit of blustery wind. 

• Haha 3

TBH, they were damned if they did, and damned if they didn't.  If the schools had opened and the snow came, there would be uproar.  If they announced the closures this morning, there would have been uproar. 

The real issue, IMHO, is that people are becoming unwilling or unable to assess their own risk and constantly look to government to do this for them. (Remember the to-do about not closing schools because of high winds?) That puts the onus on government to make these decisions, which results in decisions made, perhaps, prematurely before reliable information is available.

Despite the warnings, I took a risk and headed out this afternoon.  It was nasty, cold and wet, but my life was not in danger.  Tomorrow morning, I will see what it is like and may head out again.  I will assess the risk. 

Have we ever had such bad weather that kids were kept in school and had to sleep there?  

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Catrisk said:

I got my post too and I’ll be out clapping in my garden at 8:00PM tonight in appreciation of all the key workers who have struggled to maintain services in the adverse face of a bit of blustery wind. 

You missed the very cold rain/sleet. 

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Manxcare have cancelled most things!!

However schools decision tomorrow morning, and on the day like they should have done today!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/face-to-face-hospital-appointments-cancelled-for-second-day/

The big difference being that today the weather was due to come in in the afternoon.  So they weren’t much more equipped to make the decision this morning than last night.

Giving people notice was the right thing to do.

Tomorrow is only going to improve as the day goes on, so if it’s OK at 7 it’s not an issue all day.

Waiting until the morning is the right thing to do.

They are two completely different situations that require two different approaches.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The real issue, IMHO, is that people are becoming unwilling or unable to assess their own risk and constantly look to government to do this for them. (Remember the to-do about not closing schools because of high winds?) That puts the onus on government to make these decisions, which results in decisions made, perhaps, prematurely before reliable informationis available.

After covid we clearly aren’t allowed to assess risks ourselves. Our government seems to think it needs to interfere and stop us from doing anything as we’re such a bunch of morons we might hurt ourselves if left to our own devices. And of course we’re all now, in government especially, used to having an expected day at home if anything slightly out of the ordinary happens. Only I saw the stampede out of Town Hall at lunchtime. You’re not telling me anyone was going to WFH when they’re heading down Strand Street. Just a massive big skive because half of them would have been complaining since they went in about the Amber weather warning despite a clear absence of snow. 

• Like 1