The Great Snow of 2023

0bserver

25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It is now 16 pages in less than 24 hours. Unbelievable. RogerMexico is going to start producing comparative data graphs (with footnotes), Gladys will comment (lengthily) on the corporate responsibly of snow-plough wagon drivers, Roxanne will report on icebergs floating down Laxey River, and MadUncleRonnie will post about his Sharon being snowed-in with some Turkish fella.

And it's all because of this bloody global warming. Where's the heat - that's what I want to know.

It’s in Spain, 30c forecast in Alicante this weekend!!

What always amazes me is that: If you use a football field as a scale for the solar system, then the sun would be about the size of a soccer ball on the goal line. Earth would be 26 yards away and only the size of a pinhead.

...adding a very slight 12 degree tilt and a bit of wind and weather to that pinhead can make the difference between -40 and plus 40 Celsius where you are on that pinhead. 

...Add some shitty gases to earth's atmosphere (atmosphere is only 1.5% of that pinhead diameter)...and it doesn't take too much to change things quite dramatically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Hey, where did they go?   The snow started and half the people on the thread went quiet!

The snow started about 7PM well after most people had come home after a full day at work today. Or had worked from home pointlessly looking after their own kids. 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

What always amazes me is that: If you use a football field as a scale for the solar system, then the sun would be about the size of a soccer ball on the goal line. Earth would be 26 yards away and only the size of a pinhead.

...adding a very slight 12 degree tilt and a bit of wind and weather to that pinhead can make the difference between -40 and plus 40 Celsius where you are on that pinhead. 

...Add some shitty gases to earth's atmosphere (atmosphere is only 1.5% of that pinhead diameter)...and it doesn't take too much to change things quite dramatically.

It's not that amazing really though when you consider the Celsius scale is an man-made system of measurement which was devised to be descriptive to temperatures which are significant to us as a species. So a difference of -40 to plus 40 is only very large because you are seeing it from our perspective (it which it is huge), but in terms of the solar system or even the universe it's no big deal, perhaps even exactly what you would expect given the scales and distances.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

...the Celsius scale is a man-made system of measurement which was devised to be descriptive to temperatures which are significant to us as a species. 

Are you accusing Albert of falling foul of the anthropic principle? Douglas Adams summarised it quite neatly from the point of view of a puddle: "This is an interesting world I find myself in – an interesting hole I find myself in – fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!"

• Like 1