The Great Snow of 2023

0bserver

37 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

To be honest I don’t see what most of the fuss is about before 9 o’clock I had workers in from Ramsey and Port Erin into Douglas who had managed to get into work on time. I managed to get in for 8AM in a RWD car without much effort. It’s just a great big skive where government has set an example for a great big skive yesterday. Hardly any coffee shops, sandwich shops, cafes or similar open today and a lot of retail shops closed. 

looking at pics from kirkmichael i'd say if you lived out there you had real reason to stay at home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, WTF said:

looking at pics from kirkmichael i'd say if you lived out there you had real reason to stay at home.

The main road was open and clear before I went through there at 7. The estates were white but easy enough to drive out of.

People own shovels if needed.

At a guess less than 10 percent of the population genuinely couldn’t have got to a main road if they used a bit of effort and common sense.

Tomorrow morning, once it’s frozen hard tonight is likely to be a different story.  Sheet ice is much harder to negotiate than soft snow. In fact anytime after it goes dark tonight those estate and side roads that are perfectly drivable now will be lethal

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

To be honest I don’t see what most of the fuss is about before 9 o’clock I had workers in from Ramsey and Port Erin into Douglas who had managed to get into work on time. I managed to get in for 8AM in a RWD car without much effort. It’s just a great big skive where government has set an example for a great big skive yesterday. Hardly any coffee shops, sandwich shops, cafes or similar open today and a lot of retail shops closed. 

I'm not disputing that. I walked to work no problem. Same story each year we have snow. Those that try generally make it. Those that have no choice generally make it. Those that have a choice and don't try,  don't make it. It won't change any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not disputing that. I walked to work no problem. Same story each year we have snow. Those that try generally make it. Those that have no choice generally make it. Those that have a choice and don't try,  don't make it. It won't change any time soon.

You’re right. 
It does separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Banker said:

The teacher twats from around here have just loaded 4x4 with sledges & off to creg , even though police say avoid unnecessary journeys!!!

All at taxpayer expense 😂

A friend of my sons dad, a teacher, took a load of kids sledging. Top man.

• Like 1

Roads are clear all the way to the Creg. Either the DOI have been doing a great job, or all the bankers have been up there spilling their taxpayer-bailout-funded champagne which has melted it all. Lots of standing water on Johnny Watterson's and Signpost that will probably freeze overnight, so the morning could be interesting.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, forestboy said:

Is Cobb still the boss there?

On the IOM Gov jobs website there are 3 or 4 jobs, I cant remember exactlt, that pay seriously big money, approx. £300K between them, that seem to be new positions?

Mr Cobb has assimilated quickly with their Empire building it would seem.

I cant be arsed to post them, but they stand out as a lot of money for not a lot of work with a dozen flights a day to look after?

• Like 2

Just now, Blade Runner said:

On the IOM Gov jobs website there are 3 or 4 jobs, I cant remember exactlt, that pay seriously big money, approx. £300K between them, that seem to be new positions?

Mr Cobb has assimilated quickly with their Empire building it would seem.

I cant be arsed to post them, but they stand out as a lot of money for not a lot of work with a dozen flights a day to look after?

Don't think it matters how many flights go through there. You still need to adhere to CAA and international standards, and that's not cheap, and not something you can skimp on. There are big salaries because to get the right people you're in competition with other jurisdictions. Paying less is not a viable strategy to attract and retain people with the right skillset  There has to be a reason why appropriately-qualified people would choose this dull, windswept rock over other places. Recruitment is already difficult for medical professionals because it's a comparatively grim and boring place compared to others. Salaries have to be high for that very reason.

3 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Don't think it matters how many flights go through there. You still need to adhere to CAA and international standards, and that's not cheap, and not something you can skimp on. There are big salaries because to get the right people you're in competition with other jurisdictions. Paying less is not a viable strategy to attract and retain people with the right skillset  There has to be a reason why appropriately-qualified people would choose this dull, windswept rock over other places. Recruitment is already difficult for medical professionals because it's a comparatively grim and boring place compared to others. Salaries have to be high for that very reason.

These were not CAA type compliance jobs - more CS Management bullshit type  jobs

Got to go now but I will post them in the morning if I remember

Edited by Blade Runner