The Great Snow of 2023

0bserver

5 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I’m off to work but my wife isn’t as shes now going to have a day WFH to look after the kids because the teachers fancied another duvet day despite there hardly being any impediment to them turning up for work. 

I don’t think you can blame the teachers here. DoE have possibly blinked too early - my interpretation of BBC weather is that we’ll be getting horizontal rain/sleet, not 10’ deep snow - we shall see later. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Seriously? There’s hardly anything there. 

Yet. Probably closed until the race track improvement works finish or June which ever is sooner, save on a bit of grit. Given past performance where they dug up the road surface, damaged bollards and fences while clearing heavy snowfall with an excavator it might be cheaper all round.  

So schools closed, appointments cancelled and no doubt lots of other government services running at half capacity or less (if they can work from home effectively, why are we paying for heating empty offices again?) Oddly, not heard of one event being cancelled yet?

21 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I don’t think you can blame the teachers here. DoE have possibly blinked too early - my interpretation of BBC weather is that we’ll be getting horizontal rain/sleet, not 10’ deep snow - we shall see later. 

Too many people paid to manage not to “do” and now they’ve managed not to “do” anything but get a day off. It’s almost like our public sector has given up trying. Let’s just all have a day off and stay safe .. just in case. 

• Sad 1

Ah well, next ferry with capacity is Saturday morning. I’ll go down for standby tonight, tomorrow morning and evening.

Im booked to return Sunday 14.15 as I’m picking up family on my way home so they can stay for a week. Otherwise I’d fly/hire.

9 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Too many people paid to manage not to “do” and now they’ve managed not to “do” anything but get a day off. It’s almost like our public sector has given up trying. Let’s just all have a day off and stay safe .. just in case. 

Lessons learned from the pandemic maybe? A case of guarenteed premature interruption in service to avoid a potential disruption in service.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SuperHans said:

Yet there has been NO snow. Nevermind another day off for teachers. 

Stop it. 

The DESC makes the decision based on information from the meteorological experts. They base their decision on the safety of the children.

A day off is never given lightly. The national curriculum is prescriptive to the hour and work missed on one day must be caught up on the next. 

The weather may be ok right now but if this snow comes in as forecast then you would have thousands of pupils and staff stranded in schools with no way of getting home. It has happened in the past and it’s a bloody nightmare scenario. 

Try and see past the end of your nose. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

And again. There are all kinds of forces at play here. It’s nothing to do with having a day off and everything to do with managing risk and making the best decision with the information available. 

• Like 3

Just now, Roxanne said:

The DESC makes the decision based on information from the meteorological experts. They base their decision on the safety of the children.

I don't believe it is the DESC decision to close the schools, Dan Davies does not work in  DESC, he CEO of Home Affairs and he has said on Manx radio " We decided to close the Schools". So it looks to me like the emergency services must have made the decision.

• Like 1