Burn baby burn

Dirty Buggane

Heard on the nmp that they are thinking it would be greener to burn the plastic and paper instead of the carbon foot print it is making to transport it to mainland and burn it there. Or pollute a large area in one of the eastern block states. Its going to be the epitaph on me grave, you could not make this shit up.

• Thanks 1

It was only the cardboard on reports I heard, they’re calculating whether it’s best recycling it into energy via W2E or more carbon by collecting it & transporting it away on boat & transporting again to plant & more energy again to recycle. Plastic was not mentioned when I was listening 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Heard on the nmp that they are thinking it would be greener to burn the plastic and paper instead of the carbon foot print it is making to transport it to mainland and burn it there. Or pollute a large area in one of the eastern block states. Its going to be the epitaph on me grave, you could not make this shit up.

It would be greener.

Now here's a thing.... the late departed former Chief Exec of Onchan Commissioners Malcolm Hulme was a Chartered Environmentalist and a clever bloke in lots of other ways. He carried out a detailed study and produced a report that proved that incinerating all the plastic on the island was indeed greener. I think his main argument was that the more you try to recycle the more carbon is created. Single use plastic is the big issue and manufacturers need to be encouraged (or fined?) to stop using it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

It was only the cardboard on reports I heard, they’re calculating whether it’s best recycling it into energy via W2E or more carbon by collecting it & transporting it away on boat & transporting again to plant & more energy again to recycle. Plastic was not mentioned when I was listening 

Cardboard stripped of all plastic labelling and tape etc should be shredded and mixed into 'live' compost. It really isn't rocket science.

I'm convinced burning cardboard is the right move. I'm pretty sure burning paper is too, even though these are things that can be recycled. I'd think different if there was a paper mill on island, but we don't want one of those, they use horrible chemicals.

Plastic is a whole different matter. A lot of plastics (notably PVC) just can't be recycled, and even the ones that can don't have a particularly strong market. Unfortunately burning plastic is shit. So are alternatives. That's a challenging situation for all. How good are those smoke scrubbers?

8 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

There’ll be a point where it makes more sense economically to burn it. 

If you’re using more fuel than you save by recycling it to transport it, putting it through the big machine to burn it and make some power at the same time isn’t the worst option. 

They haven't done the calculations yet. Difficult to do when the boat is going anyhow to transport other things off the island.

Funny there is not talk about the energy being used to transport things TO the island.

It made me laugh this week. So here we have a “guru” on all things recycling. Not that Steph Gray has ever run a recycling centre, anywhere, ever. So I’m sat here wondering why is she beginning to make these statements, when her minister only earlier this week said they need fact based evidence for which they have none yet. So I’m also thinking she’s been in this post for years - what’s she been doing? They don’t even have basic waste disposal streams. Finally what have they been doing for the past 20 years when the rest of the western world has already moved on. It’s not as if it’s suddenly something new. What have they actually been doing and why don’t they know what’s best already? Smacks of government suddenly realizing that they need to lead in this instead of doing sweet FA.

Just now, Satan666 said:

It made me laugh this week. So here we have a “guru” on all things recycling. Not that Steph Gray has ever run a recycling centre, anywhere, ever. So I’m sat here wondering why is she beginning to make these statements, when her minister only earlier this week said they need fact based evidence for which they have none yet. So I’m also thinking she’s been in this post for years - what’s she been doing? They don’t even have basic waste disposal streams. Finally what have they been doing for the past 20 years when the rest of the western world has already moved on. It’s not as if it’s suddenly something new. What have they actually been doing and why don’t they know what’s best already? Smacks of government suddenly realizing that they need to lead in this instead of doing sweet FA.

And another thing she fails to mention is that ALL the electricity produced at the EfW is sold off island as green energy. We don’t get any of it!

5 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Cardboard stripped of all plastic labelling and tape etc should be shredded and mixed into 'live' compost. It really isn't rocket science.

True it can be added, but it is best used as a mulch.  In itself it does not provide nutrients, but can lighten a heavy soil.

2 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Well they’re good enough to burn car tyres and all the other plastic that’s put in peoples bins each week

I do hope so. Does someone test it? Does it get published if so? On those rare incredibly still days we occasionally get you can see something that looks unpleasant hanging around.