Burn baby burn

Dirty Buggane

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm convinced burning cardboard is the right move. I'm pretty sure burning paper is too, even though these are things that can be recycled. I'd think different if there was a paper mill on island, but we don't want one of those, they use horrible chemicals.

Plastic is a whole different matter. A lot of plastics (notably PVC) just can't be recycled, and even the ones that can don't have a particularly strong market. Unfortunately burning plastic is shit. So are alternatives. That's a challenging situation for all. How good are those smoke scrubbers?

Do you recall the plastics factory on Ronaldsway Ind Estate?

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

No. By setting artificial minimums you shit on the poorest. Always.

I have no doubt at all that the processed food industry would suddenly find that it did not need to be using huge amounts of unnecessary plastic etc.

Nobody needs to be buying over packaged food. It's more costly and not nearly as good as buying ingredients.

A huge amount of glass and plastic bottles are unnecessary too.

13 minutes ago, cissolt said:

We ship stuff all over the UK.  I do wonder what the c02 cost of the transport, shipping and processing is versus burning for energy.

Screenshot_2023-03-16-18-22-29-36_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

As has already been pointed out the cost of the co2 for shipping would be spread amongst all passengers and vehicles because the boat is already going (which would be negligible). So really it would only be the co2 value of the transport from the boat to the recycling depot and the recycling itself that needs to factored in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

I have no doubt at all that the processed food industry would suddenly find that it did not need to be using huge amounts of unnecessary plastic etc.

Nobody needs to be buying over packaged food. It's more costly and not nearly as good as buying ingredients.

A huge amount of glass and plastic bottles are unnecessary too.

No doubt, some of the packaging is crackers. Fining consumers is not the way to change it.